Poll: Paying SCS for ATS Enhanced Simulation Add-On

How much would you pay SCS for an Enhanced Simulation add-on that includes the items in this post?

$15.99USD
36%
$12.99USD
18%
$9.99USD
27%
None - I like basic arcade gameplay and am not interested in an actual simulation or learning about real trucking at all.
19%

Total votes: 67

geebee75

Poll: Paying SCS for ATS Enhanced Simulation Add-On

#1 Post by geebee75 » 09 May 2021 23:06

NOTE: This is for American Truck Simulator, as they're designed for North American standards.

Although SCS did replace the lighting engine in the game as of 1.4, there are literally years of good and popular suggestions in this topic that just aren't being implemented. And it's probably because of simple economics: SCS appears to make money on adding states, and not by adding any major functionality to improve the game engine itself. There are some very obvious things left out of this simulation such as pre-trip walkarounds and connecting your trailers yourself.

The items in this list describe some generalities that demonstrate the spirit of functions to be added. Specifics regarding logistics and details (EG: How much time to change a wheel, weights vs. scales) can be determined if SCS decides to implement. The idea is also that some of these can be turned off/on in Settings, in case you didn't want to deal with scales or a harder economy. Again, logistics later, let's gather interest first and try to sell this to SCS as something worthwhile for them to invest development time in.

Also note that mods cannot work for most if not all of the below, since we're talking base game functionality and the game isn't open-source.

SCS is a business, and they're not likely to do anything like this - and most other suggestions in this forum - unless they can monetize it. (Make money on it). That's why they stick to states, which they can sell at $12.99USD a piece.

The purpose of this is to perhaps let SCS know that we may actually pay for them to implement these changes. This list should be far less involved than adding a new state, and they should be able to sell enough of these add-ons to make money over and above the development cost.

American Truck Simulator Enhanced Simulation Experience Add-On Items
  • Ability to walk around truck anywhere - not just in the truck upgrade shop.
  • Pre-Trip checks: Ability to perform walk-around and perform some basic safety checks.
  • Ability to get out and connect/disconnect your own trailer lines, raise/lower landing gear. (And if you don't you can't leave).
  • Breaking down doubles, multi-drops with doubles.
  • Ability to slide fifth wheel and trailer axels. You need to be able to properly balance your load, because..
  • ...Get fined at the scales (which should now check). 12,000 Steer, 34,000 Drive, 34,000 Tandems. (Verify and match DOT limits).
  • Cannot rest in day cabs. Only local loads should be presented if that's your truck. Or failing that, can only rest at motels.
  • In order to rest, you must move to your sleeper bed. Nothing fancy, just simulate a camera movement where you get up, move to and sit down on the bed facing forward.
  • Option to have tires occasionally blow out if you let them wear >50%, requiring roadside assistance and 3-hour (in-game) wait. (And doesn't end your delivery).
  • Ability to specify (slide-bar) how many hours to rest. In reality it's not a straight 12 on 10 off as it can be broken up. Make it compliant with US DOT requirements.
  • Change the green check-in square to a rectangle across the whole driveway entrance, so you can actually line your truck up properly when turning into the yard as to not hit your trailer.
  • Slow down the economics. Say, half the pay it is now. That's still higher than reality however this is still a game and you don't want to take 5 real years to pay off a truck. You also shouldn't max out the game in a month either.
Last edited by geebee75 on 10 May 2021 06:13, edited 1 time in total.
Underscore_101_

Re: Poll: Paying SCS for ATS Enhanced Simulation Add-On

#2 Post by Underscore_101_ » 10 May 2021 02:49

tbh, most of these should be in the base game, though most I personally don't care for because I play the game casually to relax and don't really
want to bother with simulated real life type stuff :-) , I don't think I should pay extra for basic features of simulation game.
BattlePeasant
Location: Virgo Supercluster, Galaxy The Milky Way, Solar System, Earth

#3 Post by BattlePeasant » 10 May 2021 04:51

Something I agree with, but other points don't interest me. It will take much less than three hours to change a wheel (I hope every driver has a jack). I agree that you cannot sleep in day cabs, but then you need to increase the density of motels and even more - the number of other parking lots so that the owners of sleeping cabins have an advantage. In addition, the map should display, in addition to the travel time, the time remaining until the rest (I already talked about this). I would turn off the weighing stations, I do not want to deal with the weight distribution of the axles. In my opinion, it is better to complicate the economy with a system of competition and reputation.

I'm ready to buy a new state if the SCS improves something else. I hadn't played for over a year and came back when I found out that the game began to show the distance to the marks. If the SCS does not improve the basic features, the expansion of the game becomes not interesting for me.
More chrome for the god of chrome.
geebee75

#4 Post by geebee75 » 10 May 2021 05:51

BattlePeasant wrote: 10 May 2021 04:51 Something I agree with, but other points don't interest me. It will take much less than three hours to change a wheel (I hope every driver has a jack). I agree that you cannot sleep in day cabs, but then you need to increase the density of motels and even more - the number of other parking lots so that the owners of sleeping cabins have an advantage. In addition, the map should display, in addition to the travel time, the time remaining until the rest (I already talked about this). I would turn off the weighing stations, I do not want to deal with the weight distribution of the axles. In my opinion, it is better to complicate the economy with a system of competition and reputation.

I'm ready to buy a new state if the SCS improves something else. I hadn't played for over a year and came back when I found out that the game began to show the distance to the marks. If the SCS does not improve the basic features, the expansion of the game becomes not interesting for me.
Note that besides the functional ability of walking around your truck, each one of these should be an option that can be enabled/disabled in settings. (So you can turn off the scales if you want, for example).

Re: Changing a tire - I was basing that on being in the middle of nowhere and having to find, call and wait for a repair - not doing it yourself. I'm not sure it's common for drivers to change their own wheels due to weight, tools required, proper nut torque etc. That said the spirit of my suggested points should be taken, and the specific details of logistics and timing can be worked out if SCS wants to actually implement.
bobgrey1997

#5 Post by bobgrey1997 » 10 May 2021 06:24

geebee75 wrote: 09 May 2021 23:06
  • Ability to get out and connect/disconnect your own trailer lines, raise/lower landing gear. (And if you don't you can't leave).
Expanding on this, this is a part of moving the trailer tandems, and rather than simply not being able to leave, some rather major damage could occur.

You should be able to hook to the trailer by simply backing into it correctly (in reality, the kingpin hits a lever in the 5th wheel which automatically engages the locking jaw). At this point, you should be able to apply forward throttle to the truck, but not move because the trailers emergency brakes are engaged (lack of air). You then hook the air and electrical lines, which will allow you to disengage the trailer brakes and begin moving.

Because the landing gear are still down, this would result in the landing gear being broken off, requiring repairs.
Once the gear are raised, you should be able to set the trailer brakes while leaving the truck brakes disengaged. This would allow you to unlock the trailer tandems to slide them (you pull or push the trailer while it's brakes are set, sliding the trailer over the tandems).

We should be able to use scales at truck stops to get our weight even before we get caught by the weigh stations. This may require SCS to add scales to some depots, as DOT regulations only allow for a 50 mile radius (if you are caught trying to drive an overweight trailer to a scale further than 50 miles from your pickup, you get a fine). SCS can probably fudge that distance a bit simply due to the scale of the map, but truck stops in-game are still rather scarce, let alone truck stops equipped with scales.

I like every one of these ideas. The best part about this would be that SCS would most likely make each one individually optional (like how currently we have a speed limiter option, a traffic fines option, a fatigue option, a fuel consumption option, a random events option, a detours option, etc). Each of these features could have it's own option setting, allowing anyone to enable and disable the exact features they want.

As a long-time ATS community member, and now an over-the-road driver in reality (inspired in part by ATS), I learned so many things that I find simply fascinating about trucks and the lifestyle beyond what ATS even begins to comprehend. I would love to see these implemented into ATS, not only to be able to better replicate the job itself, but also to give others who are still "on the fence" with starting their own trucking career a better sense of what they are looking at, and an opportunity to learn. I can only imagine what it would have been like to be able to tell the instructors at the school on DAY ONE "yeah, I know where the push rod is on the rear brakes, what it does, and what to look for, see, this right here..."
SmokeyWolf

#6 Post by SmokeyWolf » 10 May 2021 12:56

@bobgrey1997 Never heard of a 50 mile radius before.
bobgrey1997

#7 Post by bobgrey1997 » 10 May 2021 16:37

They do that because many shippers load the trailer before you arrive, or if you are there, they may not let you into the building to monitor what is being loaded. As such, you have no clue what it weighs. The DOT can't fine you if you haven't had a chance to scale yet. However, they CAN fine you if you are using that as an excuse to not get a fine, such as passing several truck stops with scales, but saying that you are "on the way to get it scaled". To solve this, they gave a 50 mile range for you to find a scale.
SmokeyWolf

#8 Post by SmokeyWolf » 10 May 2021 20:43

@bobgrey1997 Very true. Anything over 40,000 I always scale. Not all the loaders know how to load heavy loads properly. A lot of them fail to stretch the load out by not singling out a few of the pallets.
geebee75

#9 Post by geebee75 » 11 May 2021 03:22

Larry71490 wrote: 10 May 2021 20:43 @bobgrey1997 Very true. Anything over 40,000 I always scale. Not all the loaders know how to load heavy loads properly. A lot of them fail to stretch the load out by not singling out a few of the pallets.
Very few shippers know how to load. It's up to the driver to make sure it's done right.

And for the love of God, don't wear flip-flops! :)
flight50

#10 Post by flight50 » 11 May 2021 09:13

To the op, there are some very good options presented. Nothing no one hasn't spoken on before though. For me, the first 3, I don't have any care for in the world. I have never wished for them but it people want it, fine. Just make it optional. I think it starts getting away from delivering and too much management. But that's just my opinion. The game is more arcade style for all ages. The first three is more hardcore than most people would care for. Not everyone wishes for these. The new WoTr that is being worked on in parallel to the current WoT, was kinda of hinted by Pavel to be a bit harder core than the current game. When will that come...........no telling but harder core is acknowledged by the man himself. A lot of your list could get covered under that.

-breaking down trailers and multi drop is kinda two different things but I advocate them both. A lot needs to be done to properly implement it. Both these will elevate the game for sure
-5th wheel. If we can adjust the tandems, we should be able to do the same for the 5th wheel. Most won't bother with it but its a good option to have for those that want to adjust
-fined at scales.......ohhh yes. This goes along with breaking down trailers and multi drop imho. The game has to allow control over what's loaded. Cargo has to factor in by weight and how much is loaded for this to work
-resting in day cabs. For immersion purposes, I totally agree. There should be an incentive to going with a sleeper.
-tire blow out. Complete immersion but that could be considered a breech in license agreement here due to possible damage. A blow pretty much means loss in control of the truck to some degree. I'd like tear wear or blow out for sure along with more realistic brake fade. Perhaps a blowout doesn't have to be aggressive at all. We need physics in ATS though for this to work. Perhaps a slowing down of truck over time to a slow pace, leaning truck as the pressure slowly leaves the tire(s) until the truck goes to a crawl. Lets say down to 20mph or something. This forces replacements/repairs and fine system to kick in
-rest period. many have requested this and hopefully one day it comes. We don't always need 10hrs of sleep. But more options would be nice. Full, half or partial hrs up to maybe only 3hrs.
-check-in update. Not a bad idea. I'd definitely love to get this. It can be annoying having to line up things based off such a small icon.
-not that critical. You can change that in the game files now by yourself. I run my income factor at 0.3. A fool proof game setting works better but this one we can edit now without mods.

But I wouldn't pay for this and SCS wouldn't make it that way. This is all core content type stuff. WoTr or not, none of this spells paid imho. But one option that should have been available on the poll is - should be core content. Or Other. Something to that effect though. But with the current options, I won't cast a vote.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”