Wishlists Megathread

Vinnie Terranova

Re: Wishlists Megathread

#3261 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 14 Jul 2020 20:44

If there are no traffic lights and no priority traffic signs, there are actually two rules:
1) traffic coming from the right has priority;
2) in the case of oncoming traffic, the car going straight ahead has priority over turning traffic. In the picture of supersobes it means that car 2 has priority. In case of car 2 turning right (on the picture to the left = same direction of car 1) the car that has the shortest turn has priority over the car with the longest turn (in this case car 2 has also priority over car 1).
At least those are some basic rules in some countries of Europe. Maybe in other countries there are some different rules.

supersobes
Global moderator

#3262 Post by supersobes » 14 Jul 2020 21:16

Some newbie driver wrote:
14 Jul 2020 20:30
In simultaneous stops/yiels, the common European rule is that the priority is for the one that will "arrive from the right".
If the cars arrived at the intersection simultaneously, then it would be as you say where car two would have the right of way, but in my example, I was trying to explain that car one had arrived and stopped at the intersection before car two arrived at the intersection. What I was trying to explain is that I've observed the AI in ATS would sit there and wait for car two to clear the intersection, even though car one was there first and therefore goes first.
Scania trucks are the best, but the Peterbilts are good too.
Road signs are just as important as the road itself.

World of Trucks Profile | ATS Screenshots | ETS2 Screenshots | Forum Rules

Vinnie Terranova

#3263 Post by Vinnie Terranova » 14 Jul 2020 21:40

I've seen that a lot of times, too. The AI needs a big overhaul.

Some newbie driver

#3264 Post by Some newbie driver » 14 Jul 2020 21:55

Well supersobes, what I explain happens even if one car arrives first than the other. Obviously, if there's a difference big enough in time between the arrival of both cars to the stop/yield point, the first one would be already moving. But the general stop rule says to wait about 3 seconds so, even if you stop first, if on the other side soon arrives another car, it's expected to wait more to respect the priority order.

Problem with the game AI is that it works with a time margin very high. As the game can't rely it could react in time to traffic events, it takes its decisions sometimes with a large time margin than the one humans use IRL. That's one of the main reasons for those weird AI behaviors we see in the game.

That's mainly due the almost mono-core architecture of the game. AI can't be calculating its actions at the same time the game manages other things (like control the inputs of our driving). The game is continuously jumping from one task to another and each time it starts the "AI control" task, it has to pre-calculate what should do the AI with enough margin of security so until the next time that task will be executed nothing worn had happened. Obviously, those "task jumps" happens at very high speeds, AI isn't uncontrolled more than miliseconds, but combined with other flaws, this is enough to cause problems).

When SCS could made the game true multi-core, one of the biggest improvements they could do will be in the AI control complexity and precision (and by extension, in the amount of vehicles that they could handle a lot better, even on humble computers). Potentially, the same CPU power they use now for ALL the game, available just to control de AI behaviour. The potential of that makes me just drool while waiting that to happen.

Regards

Trucker_71

#3265 Post by Trucker_71 » 14 Jul 2020 22:10

In my experience in RL, you are absolutely right @AmericaWestCMH ;)
George "Alky®" Fisher
Trucker_71 Workshop

Viper28

#3266 Post by Viper28 » 16 Jul 2020 07:59

at some unknown point in the future SCS will have no choice. Technology (especially in the pc realm) is advancing so rapidly. They'll either have to address the anemic back-end of the game or it'll simply be relegated to a stagnating fan base that really doesn't grow but actually MAY begin to atrophy. I mean c'mon, even if they cranked out 5 states a year, there are enough remaining that simply to finish the contiguous U.S. would take many years. I either forgot it was still single core, or didn't know. That's a head shaker there. Wow. that's sad. This game has so much potential. While there are definitely a core of die-hard fans (I've ticked some of them off by my opinions) I wonder if to really grow development and incorporate more advanced improvements -- to this point, and forward -- they have to bring in new players that become consistent fans and consumers. Their actions lately in game updates indicate to me they're really trying to court new players ( while not forgetting the loyal consumers of the franchise).

flight50

#3267 Post by flight50 » 16 Jul 2020 08:07

The game isn't exactly single core like you may think it is. Its primarily single core but there are other task in other cores. Secondly, there are not a ton of games out there that are actually multi core from what I keep seeing around here.

ArTrailfanRaf214

#3268 Post by ArTrailfanRaf214 » 16 Jul 2020 08:14

I think they should add more than one delivery music in ATS,ETS2 has 2,but ATS has 1 only.
FMOD sound modder and currently learning to make my own 3D models,yet i'm fine at porting PTTM/Haulin mods into ATS/ETS2 with fixes.I do not take requests on new trucks,it will be a waste of time.

Trucker_71

#3269 Post by Trucker_71 » 16 Jul 2020 14:36

Delivery music? I've never heard delivery music, in real life or virtual, strange! lol
George "Alky®" Fisher
Trucker_71 Workshop

flight50

#3270 Post by flight50 » 16 Jul 2020 14:51

Delivery music as in when you are within 1 hr from being late. It is annoying but luckily, Fmod allows you to turn in down.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”