Interstate System

Would you like to see a basic cross-country Interstate network for free to connect future DLC?

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 88

flight50

Re: Interstate System

#21 Post by flight50 » 20 Nov 2017 21:01

@angrybirdsellar. It seems as though you still want to have discounts to old dlc. That is fine in order to get it to them. But that does not solve the problem. I mentioned this a few post back. There will be some who have no interest in driving in an abundance of states across the entire country. They may just want the 3 base states and way to get to their home state. That home state could be Delaware. You would still be forcing people to get dlc in with your plan. Those people truly may not want to drive 6-8 real time hours to get from Ca, Nv or Az just to get to Delware. SCS has no choice but to implement some sort of teleport system to cover all basis. Problem is, there are 40+ states left. There would need to be a drop down menu to link all states to the base states in the programming. If a person only has a handful of the states they truly want outside of the base, then only that handful would show up in the drop down menu. But SCS needs to program for them all because they don't know which states people will have. But forcing people to get dlc they don't want, is not the answer. They can even be given away for free and people will still have to drive 3000 miles across the country when a teleport system will get them there in seconds. Most of us, actually plan to drive across the country. Most of us want every single state, but SCS has to approach it to cater to everyone. Not everyone wants to spend 300-600 dollars worth of DLC in ATS. Add in those that play both ATS and ETS2, the price goes up. I will also buy all ETS2 country expansions but I am able to afford it. Not everyone can. These game gets expensive but not as bad as others. Still not everyone wants all expansions.

The two state copy I mentioned also requires people to drive unnecessary miles they may not want. The difference is no matter what, they pay for nothing. It's a base system for the base map. But apparently it creates too much of an headache for SCS so X that out. Technically anything outside of a teleport system will require any player to drive miles when they may not want to. I am investing in the game so that I can drive every single place on land that I can. Not all have that vision and I understand that. So with MandelSoft chiming in, I think we have our answer. Teleport is the only option.
angrybirdseller

#22 Post by angrybirdseller » 20 Nov 2017 22:32

Texas should be stand-alone region like California same with state like New York or Illinois where 90% of deliveries are going to be 500 miles or less.

For state DLC buy Illinois only require Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa to function like ATS base game.

Dont want force people to own all states, but need balanced out so that if bundles are sold don’t need ATS run it if buy states that work with state region.
flight50

#23 Post by flight50 » 21 Nov 2017 15:43

Now there is a pretty interesting idea angrybirdseller. A region type approach. That would solve some issues there. Only thing that is required for sure are the base 3 states. SCS could make a hub in lets say Los Angles and teleport to the different regions that way. For example. Lets say the regions are like this here.

All regions have a hub to teleport to from the base map. Teleporting from region to region should be seamless as long as the base map is purchased. If you only want a particular region, just buy the states for that region. SCS can still make good money on multiple dlc this way. These regions don't actually have to be provided from SCS as a bundle though. Once SCS gets to that state, it can be programmed as a region to work for that hub. This approach also allows SCS to skip around and provide some of the East, Midwest or Southeast. They could for instance provide the hub states first and then the surrounds states would just add on to that region. Sort of how California added on Nevada and Arizona as part of region 9 in the above link. Let's say that person from Delware only wants their home state. Well they will be require to purchase the base map + region 3's hub state. Add on to that region 3 to get your home state if the hub state is not your home state.

The other type of region is this type here. This one is probably more common and what most of us here in the States go by. More states involved in this type but less zones to deal with. Both versions could work.

But I do like the region idea now that you mention it angrybirdseller. It also eliminates having to create teleport locations at all the borders. One thing ATS could do is require each region to have a garage as that hub/headquarters. This would probably be the best way to teleport around. The garage is that hub. This prevents SCS from having to come up with a system or prefab for a specific hub teleport. Just use the garage as normal to teleport around. Tie that to a region and wa la. You have a game within a game in a sense. You have your region and you still have the option of the base map states. Just add on over time. Nowwww.....the discounts can come into play as more regions are finish. Purchase a whole region once a region is completed. Buying a region gives a big discount and prevents the single state sale at this point. The downside to those of us that buy dlc when it first comes out will obviously pay more to play the latest, but this helps fund SCS the most to keep dlc coming. Everyone wins for what they want with out being forced as much to buy something they don't want and the prices get cheaper over time.
arcadeforest

#24 Post by arcadeforest » 23 Nov 2017 17:41

I could support this but understand why SCS would not want two maps going on based on what was mentioned above. As far as those wanting a state on the east coast and having this as a connector I really don't follow doing this for that. I understand what you are saying but I just don't see someone having the base game and then say Virginia or New York. I guess its possible but . . . I'm by all means no where near being a rich guy but the price of these DLC's are pretty cheap (especially with regular sales - and especially what I'm paying for my daughter and Sims 4 DLC) for what you get. Being spread out over years the ability to connect your home state with the base map really should not be a major sticking point for most (understanding that their are exceptions). I imagine the ones that may have some trouble are those who have yet to discover this game - maybe come across it in 3-5 years or longer from now and have to get half the country at once. My guess but I imagine at some point the base game you can buy say several years from now would be bigger than what it is now. Who knows.

With that said I do like your idea Bob and really wish those over at C2C would take this approach to future upgrades of that mod. They have made great progress in Florida, Georgia, Texas, and Colorado. If I had their ability to mod and make maps I would focus the next several updates focusing solely on the Interstates and Highways. At the least using trees, billboards, signs, and the occasional overpass to "decorate" or fill in the stretches between cities. A good example would be like what was done between San Antonio and El Paso in current version of C2C. Would not have to be exactly true that location but would eliminate the long drives of rolling green nothing. While a well done city adds that extra touch to the game the majority of the time you are somewhere in between.
Blackspots

#25 Post by Blackspots » 23 Nov 2017 18:25

Well, then... If SCS is to do this, they should only have two interstates available east to west, and one north to south on the east coast, AND nothing else, no cities. Make it difficult for people who don't buy concurrent DLC's
Author: C2C Eastern New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas improvments
ETS2 Map Combo: PM, Scandinavian Addon, RusMap, SR, The Great Steppe, PJ Indo Map
ATS Map Combo: Coast to Coast, CanaDream, Tonopah Reworked, US Expansion, Viva Mexico
Jonathan Rabbitt

#26 Post by Jonathan Rabbitt » 02 Dec 2017 02:24

^^^
The base game could have a the interstate system as a backbone, including rest and fuel stops; but with no state routes or towns and cities accessible. Then each state DLC could integrate with this backbone map. Then the following state DLCs needn't be released in a contiguous sequence.
Gazer75

#27 Post by Gazer75 » 02 Dec 2017 14:35

Mandelsoft has already explained why this is a bad idea. I consider this a dead topic tbh...
Zippy405

#28 Post by Zippy405 » 09 Jul 2018 09:06

bobgrey1997 wrote: 12 Nov 2017 17:03 I have an idea that has been vaguely discussed in random threads over the past.
The idea concerns the connection is DLC States that require other DLC.
My idea is this:
Dedicate a small team while the next few DLC are done to add a basic Interstante network that has the major Interstates in each state with the scenery and gas stations directly around it. This would go through all continental States and would be released as free update. Any state DLC would be added along this, adding all the roads, highways, cities, etc. in that state, expanding upon the basic network. This would allow someone who wants a state like Maine to not have to buy every state between it and Nevada. Anyone could buy any combination of state DLCs and not have to worry about gaps.
This is similar to Mantrid's Coast to Coast mod, but would be an official update and possibly have more detail so that the drive between States won't feel empty.
The reason I suggest to dedicate a small team now is because once Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, and northern Mexico are added, there is nowhere to go without the issue of required DLC. If a small team is dedicated now, then by the time this issue actually occurs, this Interstate network will likely be done, solving that issue before it even happens.
Probably gonna be railways and/or airports to teleport you there, like across the English Channel in ETS2 Calais-Folkstone by rail.
bobgrey1997

#29 Post by bobgrey1997 » 10 Jul 2018 00:01

Probably. The only issue, however, is that this is not a thing in the United States. A truck is never loaded onto a train, boat, or plane with it's trailer.
Zippy405

#30 Post by Zippy405 » 11 Jul 2018 15:06

bobgrey1997 wrote: 10 Jul 2018 00:01 Probably. The only issue, however, is that this is not a thing in the United States. A truck is never loaded onto a train, boat, or plane with it's trailer.
maybe not but for the games sake someone who isn't willing to buy states connecting it, its going to have to work. otherwise they are letting some of their work go for free.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”