Interstate System

Would you like to see a basic cross-country Interstate network for free to connect future DLC?

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 88

bobgrey1997

Re: Interstate System

#11 Post by bobgrey1997 » 19 Nov 2017 04:09

CarCat wrote: 19 Nov 2017 03:50 I'd say just implement a teleporting system where you can go to whichever you have. I guess I'll never find out, I intend to buy all map DLCs ;)
If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide that?

Here is why I think that the interstates is probably the best way to go.
This game is about driving, so there should be some form of driving implemented in moving between States that are not bought. A train system is probably likely, but it is quite unrealistic. So far, some form of a base network of roads is the best solution I have seen, as it can be made rather quickly with SCS' work habits, can highly improve immersion, make the map feel even bigger than it is, and raise the value of the game by being able to sell each DLC at full price and not worry about the price of previous DLC. Right now, if they release a state which requires another state, many players won't buy either because they only want the further one. A system like this will help remedy that and, in turn, bring in more customers.
It will also bring in those who are looking for good immersion (is which the extreme majority of players in the entire genre).
Of course, teleporting is always an option with the console.
Do not take offence to any of this, as I understand that you are simply sharing your opinion, and I have no intent to offend your opinion, I simply wanted to point out my "observation" (for lack of a better term) of the many different theories and ideas of how to solve this issue, and the conclusions I made from it.
Thank you for sharing your idea either way.
Gazer75

#12 Post by Gazer75 » 19 Nov 2017 04:30

I just don't want SCS spending to much time on things like this instead of developing new states.

I guess if its a quick thing to cut off roads and scenery outside the interstates needed it could work.
The stuff is already there in the DLC so it would be a matter of cutting out things outside and add barriers.
It would still require a pretty big area around the interstate to not make it look weird.
Last edited by Gazer75 on 19 Nov 2017 04:45, edited 1 time in total.
CarCat

#13 Post by CarCat » 19 Nov 2017 04:37

True. It's just I feel like that'd be SCS taking away their own profits; Some people have the mindset that "okay, i've been to this state so i don't need to see any more". Also, it would take a... very... very... long time to get to, say, NY, if you don't own any others.
[ external image ]

We've got a long way to go, and a short time to get there...

I live in Rhode Island and love anything related to trucks.

Specs: Ryzen 3 2200G, 1660 Super, 16GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Gazer75

#14 Post by Gazer75 » 19 Nov 2017 04:51

It will take at least a couple of hours to drive across the US I think.
People using the C2C map mod might have an idea.
flight50

#15 Post by flight50 » 20 Nov 2017 04:14

bobgrey1997 wrote: 19 Nov 2017 03:44 I have New Mexico and do plan to get all other state DLC, but I am not sure if I will be able to...
You know we got your back Bobgrey.
Jonathan Rabbitt wrote: 19 Nov 2017 04:01 I think SCS should quickly bang out Delaware, along with the interstate between NM and there. Then players can grind along the interstate for three hours of playing time to deliver their loads.

/jk
Although you are joking, I will comment anyways. Let say there are some that get the 3 free states and really only want Delware, Okay fine. But that defeats the whole purpose of the game. SCS defined both ATS and ETS2 as expansion progressive games. Meaning the intent is for the player to purchase dlc to expand the game. If one only wants the 3 states and their home state, they are wasting their time and imo respectful opinion, you are not playing the right game. One is of course allowed to do as they please, it's just a waste of game play and will cause a lot of unfair comments. Best case, just wait til all dlc has a huge discount and just by them in bulk. I prefer someone to wait 5-10 years to get a bulk pack instead of just waiting for a lone state and complaining afterwards feeling like you didn't get your money's worth.
Gazer75 wrote: 19 Nov 2017 04:30 I just don't want SCS spending to much time on things like this instead of developing new states.

I guess if its a quick thing to cut off roads and scenery outside the interstates needed it could work.
The stuff is already there in the DLC so it would be a matter of cutting out things outside and add barriers.
It would still require a pretty big area around the interstate to not make it look weird.
You and me both. I stated in another post that SCS could in fact have 2 copies of each state moving forward. One, for the base map that has all the dlc stripped out and another state that is the 100% dlc pack that has everything. Considering the dlc will be 100%, make a copy of it, strip it out and use it's interstate infrastructure as the core base highways system. Have everything removed from this file and only leave the interstates with its gas station and rest stops in place that are there from the actual dlc. This gas stations can even be delivery points for gas tankers, to fuel up or to rest, nothing more. I say use them as delivery points because it will at least provide a reason to travel the road to the state they intent to ge to. For example, if a person skips all states from Arizona to Georgia, well guess what, all you get from Arizona until you get to Georgia is only deliveries to gas stations with no access to anything else. If you want more, get the dlc.

To clarify the stripped out version. I think SCS providing 2 copies is the safest way. If they use the dlc state and leave everything in tact and just block off or restrict access to the other parts of the dlc, people will find a work around. All they have to do it go into the dev cam and teleport thru the barrier. It is pointless to buy dlc if you can cheat like this. So 2 totally different files should make up the rest of the map. 1 for 100% dlc and 1 for the base map.
Gazer75 wrote: 19 Nov 2017 04:51 It will take at least a couple of hours to drive across the US I think.
It will take much longer than 2 hrs. Today I made a delivery from San Diego to Hobbs (1000+/- miles) and that took me 2hrs 15 mins real life time going 60mph max, I try not to speed anymore. It makes the drive last a tad bit longer and it is more enjoyable not speeding. Going from San Diego to New York would probably take 7-8 real hrs. It would definitely be a real 2 day delivery if one needs a rest from the game. Otherwise, wake up early in the morning and play all day like its a real job, lol.
angrybirdseller

#16 Post by angrybirdseller » 20 Nov 2017 05:28

I think its bad idea means scs has to make two copies of states one free and another paid. Also, think New Mexico with time will be bundled with other states anyways over time. The base game already made and free states would hurt the sales of paid states. Likely, the next five years or so will get one state year or two if were lucky.

If want to deliver Miami to Phoenix and did not buy other states between those its not scs problem the user could take map mod to attach them or haul trailer by rail. Best solution buy all states attached. Yes, companies do haul trailers by rail then driver takes to final delivery spot.
MandelSoft
Beta tester

#17 Post by MandelSoft » 20 Nov 2017 07:29

flight50 wrote: 20 Nov 2017 04:14 You and me both. I stated in another post that SCS could in fact have 2 copies of each state moving forward. One, for the base map that has all the dlc stripped out and another state that is the 100% dlc pack that has everything.
Actually, this is exactly what SCS wants to avoid. Because if you have two versions of each sector, you have twice the amount of bugfixing you need to do, and it makes the whole bug reporting and bug fixing process needlessly complicated. Having multiple versions of one sector doesn't sound like a big deal at first, but from my modding experience with ProMods this get pretty annoying pretty quickly. At one point we got three versions of our map (The 2.1x-series, the 2.20 beta series and the WIP map), and were we glad we could finally decommission one of them.

But it gets worse (oh yes, it gets worse). Because for some areas where multiple states meet, you wouldn't need just two versions of the sector, but three, four or even more to deal with every DLC combination you can possibly have. You see what can of worms you would open?

Furthermore, you may not build full states, but you still need a lot of new assets for scenery. I mean, driving down the I-10 without seeing Houston, New Orleans or the Bayou would defeat the purpose of the I-10 being there. And making those assets will also take a chunk of time, so I don't think it won't save anything.

No, I don't think such a think will happen. It sounds like a simple plan at first, but once you start thinking about what you'll need, the current system is much more simple and reliable...
╔═══╗────╔═╗╔═╗────╔╗
║╔═╗║────║║╚╝║║────║║
║╚═╝╠═╦══╣╔╗╔╗╠══╦═╝╠══╗
║╔══╣╔╣╔╗║║║║║║╔╗║╔╗║══╣
║║──║║║╚╝║║║║║║╚╝║╚╝╠══║
╚╝──╚╝╚══╩╝╚╝╚╩══╩══╩══╝
Don't ask us for a release date; we don't know either.
flight50

#18 Post by flight50 » 20 Nov 2017 16:08

Cool. Thanks for chiming in MandelSoft. So no double states and with that said, it pretty much leaves the ferry/teleporting system into play. I am not a modder so I don't know what it takes to make maps. But the points you made, makes sense. Don't create more work for yourself if its uncecessary. So in order to have people not steal (access content they didn't pay for) it sounds like there needs to be an activation type system. This will unlock the entire state which will eliminate the teleport system for those that do purchase the dlc. I and many others will not have this issue for we plan on owning all the dlc. But it is still interesting to know how it will work.

With that said and if a system truly isn't worked out yet, that leaves the next few dlc's to be Oregon, Idaho and Utah only.
bobgrey1997

#19 Post by bobgrey1997 » 20 Nov 2017 18:40

flight50 wrote: 20 Nov 2017 04:14
bobgrey1997 wrote: 19 Nov 2017 03:44 I have New Mexico and do plan to get all other state DLC, but I am not sure if I will be able to...
You know we got your back Bobgrey.
Well, thank you.
I have found work (start today, actually), so I should be good with income and be able to buy some DLC now. I just don't know how long it will last (employers in my area don't like having employees with disabilities).
It looks uphill for now, but thank you for the support. I am very grateful for it.
MandelSoft wrote: 20 Nov 2017 07:29
flight50 wrote: 20 Nov 2017 04:14 You and me both. I stated in another post that SCS could in fact have 2 copies of each state moving forward. One, for the base map that has all the dlc stripped out and another state that is the 100% dlc pack that has everything.
Actually, this is exactly what SCS wants to avoid. Because if you have two versions of each sector, you have twice the amount of bugfixing you need to do, and it makes the whole bug reporting and bug fixing process needlessly complicated. Having multiple versions of one sector doesn't sound like a big deal at first, but from my modding experience with ProMods this get pretty annoying pretty quickly. At one point we got three versions of our map (The 2.1x-series, the 2.20 beta series and the WIP map), and were we glad we could finally decommission one of them.

But it gets worse (oh yes, it gets worse). Because for some areas where multiple states meet, you wouldn't need just two versions of the sector, but three, four or even more to deal with every DLC combination you can possibly have. You see what can of worms you would open?

Furthermore, you may not build full states, but you still need a lot of new assets for scenery. I mean, driving down the I-10 without seeing Houston, New Orleans or the Bayou would defeat the purpose of the I-10 being there. And making those assets will also take a chunk of time, so I don't think it won't save anything.

No, I don't think such a think will happen. It sounds like a simple plan at first, but once you start thinking about what you'll need, the current system is much more simple and reliable...
So, no Interstate System? Alright. It was just a thought. I do look forward to seeing what SCS comes up with here, though.
By the way, for the I10 example, those places ajd cities would be in the basic network, but you would not be able to explore them. You can use the gas stations and rest areas, but there would be no garages, depots, city roads, or other highways. Just the interstates and immediate scenery. Not even all of the immediate scenery would be needed, just enough to make it not feel empty.
Thank you for the input though.
angrybirdseller

#20 Post by angrybirdseller » 20 Nov 2017 18:57

Mandelsoft is right not workable knew this by how map editor and assets are setup here. I think better option reduced priced if you own state x and y or both price based on this. Future states are going to share assets of previous states and pricing could be reflected in this. Own Illinois but did not bother buying Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Minnesota the price should be higher to reflect the fact Illinois going to use the assets of all these states built. Instead of $10.00 for the state its now $20.00 as extra work needed to port over asset from previous states.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”