Over-/Under-pass Sounds

Would you like to be able to hear traffic on an overpass?

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 16

bobgrey1997

Over-/Under-pass Sounds

#1 Post by bobgrey1997 » 05 Dec 2017 12:48

I have an idea (came about while waiting under the freeway at an unusually long red-light).
So, as many of you may know (especially those in SCS who work on the ATS map), almost all bridges, be they overpasses, creek bridges, river bridges, swamp bridges, or ocean bridges, are made with a concrete road surface (not asphalt). Such bridges usually have metal stripes across them:
Yes, I know this image shows such a bridge falling, but the other bridge to the bottom of the image shows a good shot of one of those stripes.
[ external image ]
I would like to see these more often.
When vehicles drive over these metal stripes, they make some interesting noises.
I found a website that has many little sound files, and one shows these sounds very well...
I can't afford the $3 they ask for each little sound, so I just recorded it with OBS to explain what I mean: It would be nice for immersion to have such sounds occur when a vehicle drives over an overpass...
bagnome

Re: Over-/Under-pass Sounds

#2 Post by bagnome » 05 Dec 2017 17:25

I think if that were to be implemented, it would have to be implemented with road noise. I've noticed a lack of it. I don't know about trucks, but when I drive, especially at highway speed, the road noise tends to drown out the engine noise. Or, at least, my own engine noise. Concrete pavement makes a different sound to asphalt, and concrete bridges make that hollow sound.

I personally would like to have it. Though I think there was a similar thread about it over a year ago. Some people said that the sounds would get annoying. I don't think it would. For one, you'd only be on an overpass or bridge for a very short duration (unless we're talking about the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway or I-10 between Lafayette and Baton Rouge) and that would not be long enough to become annoying. And two, if it were for a long duration of time, then it would become white noise, much like the engine noise that's always going.
bobgrey1997

#3 Post by bobgrey1997 » 05 Dec 2017 17:35

I listen to music while playing, which practically drowns out the game, but in the case of overpasses, the sudden change in sound would add an extra layer to the immersion. I have noticed while at Coastline Mining that the tires on dirt make that rubber crackle noise now! Not sure if it is new with 1.29 or not, but I just noticed it today.
gigawert

#4 Post by gigawert » 06 Dec 2017 00:13

I totally agree with this. Also the humming that you hear on many bridges due to the small grooves, would be amazing!! This noise always reminds me of going on long road trips and crossing bridges on them..
JediCowboy

#5 Post by JediCowboy » 15 Jan 2018 09:01

Yeah I do noticed that most bridges in-game are asphalt which doesn't make any sense for it to be asphalt should be concrete.
Now sounds would be cool but don't know if SCS would let this since you will the truck engine sound more loud noise than to hear the over-/under-pass.
Desktop:DELL Inspiron 3656|Windows 10|AMD APU A10-8700P CPU @1.80 GHz|AMD Gigabyte Radeon RX 560 Gaming OC 4GB|8 GB DDR3L
[ external image ]
gigawert

#6 Post by gigawert » 23 Jan 2018 00:48

If you're coasting you'll be able to hear it
bobgrey1997

#7 Post by bobgrey1997 » 23 Jan 2018 01:02

You mean you can hear the rumble of the tires on concrete? I have not heard it in-game. Also, the noise I was referring to is the noise of the tires going over the metal stripes in the bridge, which is not in-game.
gigawert

#8 Post by gigawert » 23 Jan 2018 01:06

I was talking about in real life. And yes the metal stripes would be nice to have.
bobgrey1997

#9 Post by bobgrey1997 » 23 Jan 2018 04:59

Oh.
Also, about the engine drowning out the other noises, this is only somewhat true. If the engine is loud enough enough and/or all other noises too quiet to not hear them, it is unrealistic. In reality, while diesel engines are loud enough to be heard over just about anything else, other noises can still be heard well, unless the vehicle is sound-proof and quiets outside noise well. When on freeways, there tends to be a good bit of traffic driving on it that there is way more than enough noise to be heard over the engine.
angrybirdseller

#10 Post by angrybirdseller » 29 Jan 2018 04:04

It would be nice option to hear different sounds crossing different types of road pavement or hear vehicle driver over a bridge.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”