Peterbilt 389

Now that we have 7 brands in The game, should SCS give some attention to the 389?

Yes
80%
Not needed
20%

Total votes: 41

rsr

Peterbilt 389

#1 Post by rsr » 27 Nov 2020 20:08

Doesnt it seem that the pete 389 headlights are too wide or too big compared to the rest of the truck? I think its been time for the older trucks to be given a "fresher" look.
Last edited by rsr on 24 Feb 2021 05:45, edited 1 time in total.
Optional Features

Re: Peterbilt 389

#2 Post by Optional Features » 28 Nov 2020 08:48

Yes, the Pete 389 is wrong in a ton of ways.
  • Steer wheel track width (the tires are outside the fenders)
  • Front bumper corners (way too round, should be almost flat)
  • Bullbar option (the bullbars on the 389 and the W900 are identical irl)
  • Stock visor (it has weird divots that are not found on the irl model)
  • Hood slope (this is partly the fault of the available drawings, but the hood on the 389 should be flat, not sloped)
  • Step boxes (none of them on the model are correct): should be a DPF box on the right and a normal Pete toolbox on the left, as well as in the back
  • Front mudflaps (completely missing)
  • Gear shifter (completely missing)
  • Def tank (completely missing)
  • Fuel tanks (weird straps)
  • Rear fenders (quarter or half irl, these are like 1/3)
  • Sleeper window (should be on both sides: the one side version looks weird)
  • Air cleaners (again, the straps and models are weird)
  • Exhaust (one option is decent, the other two are very poorly modeled)
  • Sidelights (need the ones from the W900 on this truck)
All in all, the 389 is the worst truck of all the defaults, which frustrates me to no end as it's my favorite of all the defaults. And for MP, it's the truck I want to run (has the better looking classic interior in the game), but the outside is horrendous. SCS, please fix this truck in a future update. We will be so grateful!
rsr

#3 Post by rsr » 02 Dec 2020 13:48

Yes always had this feeling when looking at the 389 that something isnt right, and the part that called the most attention of me were the headlights, idk if its the size that is too big or the shape but It seems like SCS only cares about adding more trucks in the game while completetly neglecting the older trucks since in ETS2 the original truck models are the same from 2013.
Last edited by Wolfi on 02 Dec 2020 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote removed [2.12]
Optional Features

#4 Post by Optional Features » 02 Dec 2020 16:30

Yeah, most of it isn't right. The whole model should be trashed and started over. The current skill level of the team is so much better now than it was.
Last edited by Wolfi on 02 Dec 2020 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote removed [2.12]
JSWarrell

#5 Post by JSWarrell » 02 Dec 2020 23:30

What good timing this thread came along...I was thinking a lot about this subject, especially after seeing how well-done the new Cascadia is that was just released.

I'm thinking the same thing for all of the original 4 trucks that were released with the game and maybe the Volvo, although that one isn't too bad and would probably risk being removed considering the fact that it's discontinued. When you look at the recent trucks, all 4 of those original models could almost be considered caricatures of the ones in real life.

The Peterbilts are especially big offenders, with all of @seriousmods' list of concerns for the 389 and a potentially smaller list of concerns for the 579:

The interior lacks detail and is slightly misshapen, with the steering wheel being abnormally large and the dash being too small.
The doors on the inside continue with plastic going up the frame around the window when it should end right at the bottom of the window, leaving the painted exterior door, much like on the T680 (the cabs are actually very similar in design if you look closely).
The cab and sleeper are not complete models of their own, with side fairings covering up the seam to hide the imperfections permanently, which also eliminates any possiblity of the side-mounted exhaust option available on the real 579.
The sleeper itself should be shaped like the one on the 389 and is possibly too narrow as the front fenders stick out past it, when I believe in reality they are about the same width.
The suspension looks completely fictional, I don't know of any truck that uses that exact design.

That's just some my personal nitpicks I've had with the model over the years, all of which could be resolved with a new model.

So here's my question to SCS: Would it be possible to contact Peterbilt and Kenworth to discuss revisiting the licensed models so far and completely rebuilding them with accurate reference data, or maybe even CAD references like International provided for the Lonestar?
Alongside that, increase the amount of options for custom builds much like the most recent trucks? (example: skirt options for 579 and T680, multiple sleepers for W900)

The goal would be accuracy and consistent detail on par with the existing models that were relased this year, and even for some future models as the bodies are shared with other trucks in the brand. (W900 and T800 are the same, T680, T880 and W990 are the same, Peterbilt 579 and 567 are the same) I don't think it's too unrealistic of a change, unless the manufacturers make a fuss about it. Well, that and this kind of change appears to be unprecedented, as it's never been done for any of the trucks that were released for ETS2 to my knowledge.
Optional Features

#6 Post by Optional Features » 03 Dec 2020 07:03

JSWarrell wrote: 02 Dec 2020 23:30 What good timing this thread came along...I was thinking a lot about this subject, especially after seeing how well-done the new Cascadia is that was just released.

I'm thinking the same thing for all of the original 4 trucks that were released with the game and maybe the Volvo, although that one isn't too bad and would probably risk being removed considering the fact that it's discontinued. When you look at the recent trucks, all 4 of those original models could almost be considered caricatures of the ones in real life.

The Peterbilts are especially big offenders, with all of @seriousmods' list of concerns for the 389 and a potentially smaller list of concerns for the 579:

The interior lacks detail and is slightly misshapen, with the steering wheel being abnormally large and the dash being too small.
The doors on the inside continue with plastic going up the frame around the window when it should end right at the bottom of the window, leaving the painted exterior door, much like on the T680 (the cabs are actually very similar in design if you look closely).
The cab and sleeper are not complete models of their own, with side fairings covering up the seam to hide the imperfections permanently, which also eliminates any possiblity of the side-mounted exhaust option available on the real 579.
The sleeper itself should be shaped like the one on the 389 and is possibly too narrow as the front fenders stick out past it, when I believe in reality they are about the same width.
The suspension looks completely fictional, I don't know of any truck that uses that exact design.

That's just some my personal nitpicks I've had with the model over the years, all of which could be resolved with a new model.

So here's my question to SCS: Would it be possible to contact Peterbilt and Kenworth to discuss revisiting the licensed models so far and completely rebuilding them with accurate reference data, or maybe even CAD references like International provided for the Lonestar?
Alongside that, increase the amount of options for custom builds much like the most recent trucks? (example: skirt options for 579 and T680, multiple sleepers for W900)

The goal would be accuracy and consistent detail on par with the existing models that were relased this year, and even for some future models as the bodies are shared with other trucks in the brand. (W900 and T800 are the same, T680, T880 and W990 are the same, Peterbilt 579 and 567 are the same) I don't think it's too unrealistic of a change, unless the manufacturers make a fuss about it. Well, that and this kind of change appears to be unprecedented, as it's never been done for any of the trucks that were released for ETS2 to my knowledge.
Yeah, having played ETS (although I know much less about euro trucks), none of the euro models look "bad". The SCS Pete 389 looks bad. The W900 is bearable. The T680 is also bearable. The 579 could be improved. And the Volvo is only ok. The Lonestar is decent, and the Anthem, the 49X, and now the Cascadia are a different league.

Give me a lineup of trucks built with the quality of the Cascadia, and I would have a hard time using modded trucks. The Cascadia is indistinguishable from the real life one; it's the best truck in the game; and it sounds the best, too. I really hope they can do an update to all of the old trucks and trailers, and get the game to a more realistic standard. It would be much more fun for MP and just gameplay in general!

Agree wholeheartedly!
JSWarrell

#7 Post by JSWarrell » 03 Dec 2020 23:43

The W900 in ATS doesn't even appear to be based on the current version.
The exterior of it from the looks of the sleeper compartment latches, cab boxes and lack of a DEF tank suggest that it's no newer than 2007.
The interior has pretty much no real issues with it, as the W900 has had the same interior since 2006. The only gripe I have with that interior really is the woodgrain. The color on the new W900s is a darker brown, whereas the one in the game looks like it was recycled from the T680 interior.
Other gripes I have are things like the weird chrome brush guard looking thing that sits against the back of the sleeper, something I don't think I've ever seen on a US truck. The fuel tanks on the sleeper versions have that custom chrome piece running along the bottom permanently fixed instead of as an accessory, and the two sleeper options themselves are literally the same one except one has a roof fairing on it, something that should've also been an accessory. The other sleeper option should've been a flat top like the 389.

The T680 isn't too bad, but some of the dimensions could use improvement.
My main issues with that truck are the lack of interior color options (IRL you can get the gray interior with wood trim) and lack of side skirt options. It kind of suffers the same issues that the other ones do, lack of detail. I never noticed before because I don't drive the T680 often, but the microwave in the back has no buttons on it. It's kind of funny when you look at the new trucks.

I guess really I'm just driving the point home, these models should get a major overhaul so that they're consistent with how the new additions are. I don't imagine it being all that difficult because SCS managed to do the same thing with the trailers...only difference is that the trailers weren't ownable before that point, but an update could reset players' trucks to a default configuration so that they don't lose their mileage, they'd just have to go into service and reconfigure their truck to however they like. The same thing already happens when an engine mod disappears from somebody's folder and a vanilla engine is put in its place after the next loadup.
Optional Features

#8 Post by Optional Features » 04 Dec 2020 00:18

Well, if we use the Cascadia as our standard (best truck yet), the W900 would get three sleepers: 52 inch flattop, 72 inch flattop, and 72 inch raised roof. Or maybe the 86 inch studio sleeper.

Then DEF tanks as you mentioned, exhaust options, more visors, bumpers, etc. It would be 100x better than current.

Same for the 389: 48 inch flattop, 63 inch flattop, and 70 inch raised roof. And then tons of options.

I have a feeling SCS won't be doing this sadly as they tend to fix stuff going forward (including the map, old trailers, etc), but if they did, I'd be more than willing to use far fewer mods.

The game is getting better by the month: all we need is a few more trailers/loads, updated trucks, a larger map, and graphics to really only need the default stuff to have fun. And many of these things are already in progress.
JSWarrell

#9 Post by JSWarrell » 04 Dec 2020 03:26

Yeah I can agree about the trailers being done only on the condition it be part of a new feature, but I don't know about the map.

They revisit old parts of the map all the time in ways that don't really affect future expansions unless they share assets that need to be updated. Las Vegas and El Centro were completely revamped for the 1.38 update but probably wouldn't have had any impact on Idaho at all had they not. I could be wrong though.

I figured trucks could be treated the same way. The only hurdle I forsee is like I said, the licensed brands saying "nah you don't need to do that."
Almace

#10 Post by Almace » 10 Dec 2020 02:00

I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY! SCS, PLEASE remodel the 389 and W900! The 389 is still my favorite truck in the game to drive, and I'd love to see it modeled with the quality of the Cascadia!

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”