Backing into docks

rocknrollDaVE
Beta tester

Re: Backing into docks

#11 Post by rocknrollDaVE » 31 Mar 2021 17:54

box trailers are designed to withstand the impact with a dock and take that force without recieving damage IRL even if you do hit it hard. thats why if im parked at a truck stop and someone backs in behind me and i feel that bump, i don't even bother getting out of bed
I'm on a mission to ensure the city of Pittsburgh is accurately represented in ATS.
◇ Link to World of Trucks profile below ◇

[ external image ]
PBandJ

#12 Post by PBandJ » 31 Mar 2021 18:14

It is also like anything else in this game, if you do something that damages your truck you learn not to do it that way again. The not having a interior model of the trailer makes sense, but as talented as SCS is I wouldn't think it would take long to make what was needed....:) Just would seem to make the game just that much more realistic if possible. Could work along with sliding tandems ....:)
flight50

#13 Post by flight50 » 31 Mar 2021 18:48

In regards to bumping the docks and damage, yes I understand that in real life the trailer can handle this. I've spent 2.5 years docking trucks in open and closed bays so I've experienced the bump feel. I've also experience co-workers that bumped hard no matter what. I've bumped hard and I've bumped perfectly majority of the time. I am speaking of damage in ATS though, not real life. ATS is a lot more fragile as it has collision parameters. And like I said, not everyone can do that. You have to feather your truck to the dock. You don't even need to use the accelerator really but many will give too much gas and bump more times than not. Its as skill that has to be learned. I don't have a CDL but back when I was docking trucks, I can do a lot better than many I see on youtube today.......and I didn't even have corrective vision like I do now. I guided the red side tail marker to the bump stop. As you brake, you see the glow off the dock/bumper to gauge how close you are to bumping to minimize the bounce. I beat I can still guide a real life truck to a dock better than what some trucker that had training can do.

Centering..... you don't have to be perfect but if you are close, you can level out the trailer and make it flush once you bump. If you are on the bumpers, you can force the trailer to go flush to the bumpers by giving it gas. You might have to spin your tires a tad but you can correct for small adjustments. I've even been silly at times and burned rubber spinning the tires to make the trailer flush, lol. I was 19-21 back then so burning rubber on purpose was more of an immature thing. I played like my older co-workers did. That was way back in 97-00 when I got to experience that. I was pretty much straight out of highschool working 3rd shift putting myself thru art school. But I was a damn good employee for that company as I out did grown men until my final days there. I left a pallet off a truck one day when I was already on probation for nose diving a trailer. I got canned, lol for 3 infractions as the transportation manager was feed up with my mistakes, lol. I had a full time job and full time school and it was a lot to handle. To many brain farts I guess. But then I landed another job but this time I was docking 48' trailer instead of 28-30' pups.
SmokeyWolf

#14 Post by SmokeyWolf » 31 Mar 2021 21:57

Actually doesn't have to be flush. Some prefer a small gap so they can get the dock plate up.
flight50

#15 Post by flight50 » 01 Apr 2021 18:42

Depends on the dock. I've loaded on docks with mobile dock plates and then at the other place we had embedded dock plates in the dock itself. Just that lip of the plate needs clearance to lift and unfold or the extend plate clearance that will bridge the gap between the dock and the trailer so that a pallet jacks (electric or manual) and/or forklifts can load the trailer.
geebee75

#16 Post by geebee75 » 09 May 2021 23:23

There are docks that when I back right up and bump them, the rectangle is up too far and turns white indicating I'm outside of it. I mean at least fix that bit where you're not out of bounds if you're actually up to the dock.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”