Cabovers in ATS with more options

Wolftank57

Re: Cabovers in ATS with more options

#11 Post by Wolftank57 » 06 Apr 2021 11:02

flight50 wrote: 04 Apr 2021 10:28
Wolftank57 wrote: 03 Apr 2021 08:35 I have made research as of why cabovers are out of style; I found the reason to be that trucks in the 70s had a very unpleasant driving experience, especially cabovers due to the seat being almost right over the front axle.
One huge factor you didn't mention why cabovers exist are length restrictions. In the 90s when they phased out in the US is because they removed the length restrictions on truck/trailer combinations and therefore all the benefits of the conventional style took over. Australia is interesting in the fact that they use both COE and conventional style. Its the best of both worlds. Now many of us on here are hoping that someday, SCS does create a classic truck dlc. SCS never said no but they didn't say yes either. If such a truck does come, imo, its not core content and should be a paid dlc. They will have to go thru a lot of effort just to get it in. Overfloate's K100e and Harven's FLB are about the best COE truck mods we can have right now. They work well and achieve the goal of what many of us would like in the vanilla game.
Yes, I did know of this and left it out because I believe the comfort point was more valid. All older truckers I spoke to in the US who drove cabover complained about how much their butt hurt after driving one. But then, maybe I was wrong for leaving this detail out. Thank you for bringing it up.
flight50

#12 Post by flight50 » 06 Apr 2021 12:23

Well comfort has changed since then the days of truckers you talked to. Europe and Australia real life truckers will confirm that the COE's of today are much much more enjoyable to drive. Air suspension goes a long ways nowadays, lol. But if comfort was the main issue, even the other places outside the US would go all conventional. The roads also have a factor. Roads in North America are wider and therefore, the length restrictions are relaxed. Most of Europe needs the tighter turning radius. Also why steerable rears on the trailer is more common. The articulated lowboys we use here in NA would be a nightmare in most of Europe.
coopsta05

#13 Post by coopsta05 » 06 Apr 2021 18:03

The other issue with cabovers in America is axle weight restrictions and vehicle inspections. Most Euro cabovers exceed the legal weight limit for the steering axle (the US and Canada both had a test with older Volvo FHs, but had to get exception permits for the front axle weight. In the end it was found there wasn't enough benefit to proceed further). In order to reduce that weight I'm afraid that either the cab would be made with less metal (compromising safety) or the weighty air suspension bits providing comfort would be drastically reduced (bringing us back to uncomfortable rides). Or you end up with the Argosy, which is rather long for a cabover.

The issue with driver vehicle inspections in the US is that drivers are required to inspect the engine itself (belts, hoses, wiring, air compressor, etc.), and to accommodate this old cabovers had removable panels in the cabin floor to allow drivers to do this without having to lift the whole cab before and after their duty day. The drawback is this panel made it near impossible to fully insulate the cab, meaning much more road and engine noise than conventionals.
flight50

#14 Post by flight50 » 06 Apr 2021 23:28

If we got a modern day cabover in NA tomorrow, the only ones that fit the bill per the 7 US brands would be the K200 and the Volvo F series trucks. The other brands out there either doesn't exist as the big 7 in North America or they don't produce COE's anymore either. Australia currently has Kenworth, Mack and Volvo as the 3 that exist in NA. Europe only has Volvo that exist in NA.
natvander
SCS Software

#15 Post by natvander » 07 Apr 2021 01:14

What about Mercedes and DAF? Both are represented in the US by affiliated companies (think Daimler and PACCAR).
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
howey

#16 Post by howey » 08 Apr 2021 04:48

Can tell you K series Aerodynes/cabovers are the most uncomfortable cabovers to drive. People love them because they look good and sound mean which i do agree with a doubt but there is a reason they are plenty of memes going around calling them backbreakers and seeing chiropractors since 1977 etc lol. Hence why when I went from driving a K104 to a Argosy I was in heaven much smoother and comfortable truck to drive only downside to it was because their interiors were plastic fantastic bits kept falling to pieces over time which shitted me regardless of how well you looked after it.

Though the ironic thing here is my profile pic is a K104 Aerodyne because I will admit that was a badass truck to drive and the owners were happy to spend the money on making it a decent truck to drive as far as comfort went as the rest of the physics/features were already good especially since I was doing east coast interstate non stop at my time there.
flight50

#17 Post by flight50 » 15 Apr 2021 05:33

Mercedes and DAF are not part of the 7 US brands so that could be the issue. They have affiliations and have the best chances behind Volvo and the Australian K200. But trying to break thru in the US market isn't exactly easy...especially going back to a COE for Class 8 service. Its almost like when SCS tried to get a truck license to get manufacturers in their game.....nobody knows you. Someone has to take the gamble to allow 1-2 in so that (x) can prove themselves. The 7 have been in for years though and at this point, any one trying to get a piece of the Class 8 pie, will have a difficult time breaking ground outside of the 7 that is already in.
axl135

#18 Post by axl135 » 15 Apr 2021 13:28

If I remember correctly, Freightliner did introduce the Argosy to the North American market back in the mid 90’s, at a time when cabovers had already fallen out of favor in the US and possibly Canada. They had the idea of hitching a trailer that is longer than 53’ to a shorter tractor, although this may have required buy-in from federal and/or state regulators. This never took off, and the Argosy disappeared from the NA market before long, although it did find success elsewhere.
flight50

#19 Post by flight50 » 15 Apr 2021 17:52

The Argosy doesn't do it for me in regards to driving it. In real life, if could be a dream to drive perhaps compared to others. Now one thing that would be cool is once North Carolina comes, if SCS can get permission to at the least have the Argosy as cargo in ATS. We can transport the Argosy to ports and train depots only.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”