Should miles be added to the distance signs?

Should the milage be added to the distance signs?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 206

angrybirdseller

Re: Should miles be added to the distance signs?

#121 Post by angrybirdseller » 18 Jul 2021 21:06

Leave things as is like 1.42 think Max explained it very well.
J.Random

#122 Post by J.Random » 19 Jul 2021 00:56

*sigh* This is not an issue. At all. The main question you should ask is: how does player interact with the sign, what's its purpose?
Signs for exits, weigh stations, rest stops, etc. are used as an immediate warning: you need to change lane, slow down, etc, because the object they're warning you about is coming up soon. These should remain as they are, in 1:1 scale.
Distance signs for cities are purely informational: they provide hints on how long (in-game time) will it take you to reach the destination. From distance, your current speed and fuel usage you should be able to roughly estimate time and fuel required to get there. These signs should be in 1:20 scale (normal job/GPS distance). Obviously, these signs can only ever work at long distances, and distances of less than 50 miles may and inevitably will contradict exit signs (I think 2 1/2 miles is the farthest they're currently in the game). So distance signs should not include any destinations which are closer than, say, 100 miles.
It's easy: compressed scale for far away stuff, 1:1 scale for the nearby stuff.
bobgrey1997

#123 Post by bobgrey1997 » 19 Jul 2021 04:13

I literally suggested using real miles (as it would be in reality), going off the GPS and Job Market, as you say they should be.

I haven't really though much about combination of Job distance and exit signs. It would be odd to see a city listed as 50 miles next to an exit sign saying 2 and a half miles. That said, I think the furthest an exit sign is (or should be) is 2 miles (representing 40 real miles).
It might be hard to keep close cities off of these signs, as they are usually placed after every town, and towns tend to be closer than 100 miles apart, even in-game.

If possible, it probably would be best to ensure the Distance signs only show 100 miles and longer, but at this point I'd be fine with any numbers.
angrybirdseller

#124 Post by angrybirdseller » 19 Jul 2021 04:30

Need middle ground with this or else your going to waste hours of SCS workers time when that person could be put to better use to fix holes in the map or floating telephone pole's
bobgrey1997

#125 Post by bobgrey1997 » 19 Jul 2021 04:55

"Better use" is subjective here. Everyone's idea of "better" would be different. If the numbers of the poll are anything to go by, the general consensus of "better" is to add the numbers. We just quite seem to agree on which numbers.
At this point, I personally don't care. I've made my suggestion, others countered it with other suggestions. As long as we get numbers, I'd be happy. If that's not a generalized middle ground, I don't know what is.
J.Random

#126 Post by J.Random » 19 Jul 2021 08:33

bobgrey1997 wrote: 19 Jul 2021 04:13 I literally suggested using real miles (as it would be in reality), going off the GPS and Job Market, as you say they should be.
I've got an impression that you wanted 1:1 scale for everything. Which would imply bringing everything, including job distances, to scale with exit warnings. At this point, I have no idea what you suggested.
flight50

#127 Post by flight50 » 19 Jul 2021 11:52

The polls numbers...for those that have voted definitely indicates we want it. But those that have not voted, have no care in the world which makes the vast majority, unconcerned.
Last edited by flight50 on 19 Jul 2021 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
bobgrey1997

#128 Post by bobgrey1997 » 19 Jul 2021 18:37

J.Random wrote: 19 Jul 2021 08:33 I've got an impression that you wanted 1:1 scale for everything. Which would imply bringing everything, including job distances, to scale with exit warnings. At this point, I have no idea what you suggested.
This is what I want, but reread my reply to Max. I am suggesting something that I think would be the best solution to their issue, NOT the solution I want. However, I'd be fine with whatever solution they come up with that involves adding the distances, even if it's not the one I want.
flight50 wrote: 19 Jul 2021 11:52 The polls numbers...for those that have voted definitely indicates we want it. But those that have note voted, have no care in the world which makes the vast majority, unconcerned.
This is the case with any poll. If someone doesn't vote, they don't count. If they are unconcerned, as you say, then this change won't bother them. Saying the vast majority didn't vote, essentially invalidating the poll, is useless. Why would have polls if they were always useless, simply because the vast majority of players aren't on these forums to vote in them?
flight50

#129 Post by flight50 » 19 Jul 2021 19:48

Not once did I say they were useless. Those are not my words. Polls serve a purpose for those that vote. Its a visual only. Feedback is more powerful. If you don't vote, that word or feedback doesn't count. There was no vote on Yellowstone and look what feedback did. Same with own trailers, doubles, lighting upgrade.....not everything needs a poll to make change but feedback can make change.

Agreed on those that are not concerned won't care though. If they did, they'd comment.
bobgrey1997

#130 Post by bobgrey1997 » 19 Jul 2021 20:00

I heard something about Yellowstone. Didn't owned trailers have a few polls back in the day, though?
Feedback is definitely very powerful, but polls are a form of that. SCS can look at this thread, not read a single post, and know that a large portion of people wpuld want these distances. Of course, they wouldn't know in what form, as the poll doesn't provide that information.
However, even if only a tiny fraction of us vote here, it can be used to get an idea of the larger majority. This is how studies work. A small portion of the population (but still a hundred people or so, so a large group) are asked a question with sime answers. If, say 35 of them say "yes", then it could be reasonably assumed that about a 3rd of the total larger population would agree (with the exception of those who genuinely don't care).
I feel that is the reason we do these polls. Even if only 92% of the probably less than 0.1% of total players vote yes, and 8% vote no, it is probably safe to assume that about 90% of the total players either do indeed want this (and simy haven't seen this poll), or they don't care.
That said, it can never be truly proven. As such, all we have to work with is those of us who are here.
It probably does help that most of the feedback SCS gets is from members here (most of the active users on other media, such as the blog of Facebook, are also here), so I guess that can make these polls a bit more useful and accurate?
Damn. I've lost my train of thought here. I hope it makes sense.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”