Should miles be added to the distance signs?

Should the milage be added to the distance signs?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 206

supersobes
Global moderator

Should miles be added to the distance signs?

#1 Post by supersobes » 07 Jun 2021 20:35

In the United States, most highways have a green guide sign after most major junctions that give the distance in miles to the next major junction as well as the next major cities along the route. These signs were added to many highways in the 1.41 experimental public beta for ATS. However, instead of the miles, there is simply an arrow.

So that brings the question of this poll:

Should the miles be added to the distance signs?

This is what the signs currently look like:

[ external image ]

This is what the signs could look like if this was implemented:

[ external image ]

These are the MUTCD standards for these signs:

[ external image ]
Bob123412

Re: Should miles be added to the distance signs?

#2 Post by Bob123412 » 07 Jun 2021 20:45

I would like to see miles added to signs in the game, however in my opinion it should reflect the in game miles not the IRL miles. Of course this could lead to people complaining about the mile signs not show the real life values.
angrybirdseller

#3 Post by angrybirdseller » 07 Jun 2021 23:05

Without mile makers like real life, no. Its going to be another thing some will complain about. Some will want realistic miles and other will want in-game miles. With game miles at least you can measure distance and time, but I could see someone going on google street or watching the odometer argue for the realistic mileage number. I would not be leery adding miles some players wont understand the room for error. If scs does do it should be in game miles not realistic miles.
flight50

#4 Post by flight50 » 08 Jun 2021 00:29

I'm all for immersion in the game. Although the arrow isn't realistic, its understood why its there. I'm fine either way honestly. I'd rather have the sign than not have it. The city name on the sign is far more significant than the number there. But it will open the door for complainers no doubt. So its understood why SCS has chosen the route they did. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Mantrid

#5 Post by Mantrid » 08 Jun 2021 03:27

I use Natvander's (I think) signs in Coast to Coast and I use the "in game" distances and haven't had any complaints yet.
Rule [5.4.2]
Follow me on Twitch @ https://www.twitch.tv/homburg
Join my Discord @ https://discord.gg/XbtnazF
Bedavd

#6 Post by Bedavd » 08 Jun 2021 04:21

I'd much rather have the miles, personally, not that I ever play hardcore enough that I'd pay attention to the miles and take those into account. Just like in real life I start looking for a place to fill up around half a tank lol. But I do think the signs look just off enough to make me not like them, so filling in the miles would be preferable to me.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#7 Post by Mohegan13 » 08 Jun 2021 09:31

This is one of those debates that's been ongoing a long time. One camp complains about the miles being RL and not game, the other says RL is more RL than game miles and should stay. Some one suggests leaving miles off completely, then both the game and RL miles camp complain. It's a no win situation.

If you're going to put the miles on size, I'm fine with it. I don't care either way as I don't really odometer watch, so whether they go real or game miles makes no difference to me.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
pigbrother

#8 Post by pigbrother » 08 Jun 2021 10:04

Real life distances are useless because the map is not overall 1:20, some stretches of roads are shorter than they should at this scale due various constrains, others are longer because they have some scenic things that have to be depicted better.

So, we have to use in-game distances, and here come the problems.

1. Somebody has to calculate all those distance for every such road sign and this means a lot of work and editing.
2. Somebody will complain that IRL there are XXX miles from here to there while in game there are more of fewer miles.
3. Somebody will ask when this feature will come to ETS2, and due to the size of the map, 3/4 of the map team will ragequit.

So, no. Yes, this would be nice, but unless they will find a magic wand to do this with ease, no.
Last edited by pigbrother on 08 Jun 2021 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
I have approximate knowledge of many things
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#9 Post by Mohegan13 » 08 Jun 2021 10:07

It's only a problem if you odometer watch.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
pigbrother

#10 Post by pigbrother » 08 Jun 2021 10:10

You are here for 8 years by now, mister. You know very well somebody will and the rant will spread endlessly and mindlessly for no reason because, you know, Internet…
Last edited by pigbrother on 08 Jun 2021 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
I have approximate knowledge of many things

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”