Should miles be added to the distance signs?

Should the milage be added to the distance signs?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 206

flight50

Re: Should miles be added to the distance signs?

#131 Post by flight50 » 19 Jul 2021 20:10

Yeah they can get an idea by numbers. But if I was a dev, I'd prefer to hear all point of views. There can always be something someone says that triggers an idea. 2 minds are better than one. 3 is better than 2. 4 is better than.........and so on. There are many times a dev can take a thought and turn it into something. A poll leaves the devs to do all the thinking. If we want something, we have to help them think. We are the ones paying for what they make. Feedback allows devs and members to think together. With multiple minds in the mix, its easier to make a plan of attack.
bobgrey1997

#132 Post by bobgrey1997 » 19 Jul 2021 20:17

I agree! I think my point was that the devs can see the poll without any reading and know that this a wanted, or unwanted feature, but then can read the posts to see what ideas are being discussed.
wcwood92

#133 Post by wcwood92 » 25 Jul 2021 11:40

@supersobes Please do the miles! Even if they're off, the numbers look much more realistic than an arrow.
The arrow makes me think of your 18 Wheels of Steel days.
This game has matured lightspeeds since then :)
zippe

#134 Post by zippe » 25 Jul 2021 12:30

@wcwood92 to do that he would first have to be employed by SCS ;) you didn´t bother to read this topic like i suggested in your topic? one or two pages? subersobes isn´t a dev,he only opened this discussion topic :)
nautofon

#135 Post by nautofon » 25 Jul 2021 14:17

Max wrote: 18 Jul 2021 10:04 we already have exit numbers in game (at least some dlcs). what mileage we should use on signs eventually to not get into contradiciton with those numbers? how much we can lie on actual in-game distances if we need to?
The exit numbers already now show wrong distances when compared to the odometer. For example, in Oregon, I-84 exits 17 and 82 should be 65 miles apart, but the odometer only advances by about 30 miles.

The scale of the game world varies all the time. For Portland and The Dalles to have a scale that is larger than 1:20, the scale of the road between them must be smaller than 1:20. That's perfectly fine. It all averages out for longer distances. This is true for exit numbers as well as distance signs. I really don't think this is something to worry about.

Distance signs help to give the player a sense of, well, distance :) and might actually decrease awareness of the game's 1:20 scale.

J.Random wrote: 19 Jul 2021 00:56 The main question you should ask is: how does player interact with the sign, what's its purpose?
[...]
Distance signs for cities are purely informational: they provide hints on how long (in-game time) will it take you to reach the destination. From distance, your current speed and fuel usage you should be able to roughly estimate time and fuel required to get there. [...]
Exactly.
For driving without GPS navigation:  ATS Company/Facility Directory — C/FD
GeorgeT93

#136 Post by GeorgeT93 » 25 Jul 2021 21:48

Couldn't it just be a game option, so each user could have it the way they want? Something like in the game options, have one that is Distances on Signs: <Real World Distance> / <In-Game Distance> / <None (Arrows)>. Personally, I'd prefer to see real-world distances as I guess I find the signs as more of a decorative item. But either way, I feel distances (accurate or not) look better on the signs than the arrows do.
bobgrey1997

#137 Post by bobgrey1997 » 25 Jul 2021 22:13

Uh... how do you propose this work, internally? This would require SCS to pack different versions of every map sector that includes these signs to then by swapped out based on what the player wants. They are not going to support 3 different versions of the entire map for a few numbers.
supersobes
Global moderator

#138 Post by supersobes » 25 Jul 2021 23:26

That would be the way to get it to work based on how the game works now. In theory, they could develop a system that allows different parameters in the game settings to change certain map assets. But even though it could also be useful for other things, the time and effort to develop such a system is probably not worth it.
plykkegaard

#139 Post by plykkegaard » 26 Jul 2021 08:29

Not that far fetch, you have it already for vegetation in which you can select the level of detail
But too much work with little gaein

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
flight50

#140 Post by flight50 » 26 Jul 2021 08:39

^Agreed.. The easiest way it to somehow use the gps that gives us distance to a waypoint marker. Each city should have a permanent waypoint (center of town). If our truck is parked next to a sign and we marked the center of town...that distance is the number that should be on the sign based on what the gps says. Exits..... don't worry but even those, same way. Park next to a sign and use the waypoint markers. What is the distance from that sign to the exit. Game world distance is what the gps uses now so what do anything other than that?

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”