Should miles be added to the distance signs?

Should the milage be added to the distance signs?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 206

xXCARL1992Xx

Re: Should miles be added to the distance signs?

#111 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 13 Jul 2021 15:27

i didnt say they are nonsense, i said they are nonsense if the number is matched to the odometer on the exit signs, so if it is 10 miles instead of 1 like in the image example from supersobes, i dont need to know 10 miles in advance that an exit will appear, the distance signs on the other hand should have a distance written on them, be it real value or better yet the approximate one the GPS would give you from sign to city center
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
bobgrey1997

#112 Post by bobgrey1997 » 13 Jul 2021 20:19

Out of curiosity, where do we define "city center" here? Most cities in ATS don't have their downtown district, which is where these signs are usually based in reality. One solution would maybe be to use the distance to the city item on the map (the object the city name/dot is centered on in the GPS map).
Xegethra

#113 Post by Xegethra » 15 Jul 2021 23:01

It would be nice to have numbers on those signs. Wouldn't be too bothered by real numbers or scaled ones but would prefer real ones. Even though the map is scaled down to 1:20 people have said it isn't scaled exactly, roads are longer or shorter than they should be, a town or city is moved over and the like. So it would take another map rearrangement to place all the roads and cities in their exact scaled equivalent.

So maybe in game miles would work best now for the unrealistically placed things we have. But if everything was spaced out properly, real miles would fit better. Everyone knows the map is scaled down, so 20 miles in game is 2, but the sign saying 20 reflects reality and to the game world, it's the same size as real life anyway. It shouldn't really confuse anyone or throw them off as they should know the map can't be 1:1. So the drive doesn't feel like 20 miles, I doubt anyone would actually expect it to.

The way they did the scale makes it rather odd, if they used real numbers in the current map, then maybe the sign would read wrong. Because they moved the road over, it adds some miles onto what it really is. So the "real" numbers are not real at all, not everything got the 1:20 scale. But as mentioned before, they didn't scale down the map exactly because of places looking good or having better roads to drive on.

Like I say though, it wouldn't kill me to have either set of numbers as each would be nice to see.
flight50

#114 Post by flight50 » 17 Jul 2021 01:35

supersobes wrote: 11 Jul 2021 02:23
bobgrey1997 wrote: I really hope to see them done correctly in the next major update, and before they place more of these.
This is exactly what I'm trying to say. The best option would be to not remove them, but to fix them and do them correctly. That way they're not removed completely, while also following the real world signage standards.
You two are pretty much saying........you don't want to be met in the middle. Its all or nothing. No compromise for you. The only outcome is to do it right from you guys standpoint. One of you wants them removed if not done right and the other doesn't want them to stay as they are. So there is only one way to make you two happy. This is the point I'm trying to make. They might not be right, but this is meeting us in the middle. This is the compromise. You two are not satisfied with compromise. This is why I mentioned I'm fine with having something rather than nothing but its being taken that I want fake. Want no...okay with, yes. Either leave it as is or add the numbers is cool with me. The last thing I want is them removed.
xXCARL1992Xx wrote: 13 Jul 2021 15:27 the distance signs on the other hand should have a distance written on them, be it real value or better yet the approximate one the GPS would give you from sign to city center
I'm fine with this and approximate using gps is the only way to go to get real numbers. Otherwise, leave it as is. I'd leave exit signs out of the equation though. The gps already calculates distance for us, use that ability. If the same algorithm can be applied to putting a number on the sign, without natvander having to sit there and calculate where to place the signs, that works. I'd just hate for him to have to put more effort into sign placement than just dropping it where ever he feels like it. If distance signs have gps parameters applied based on wherever SCS sets the town center, then that solves the issue. Just don't worry about exit signs. The issue that upsets people is number on the distance signs. To me, people can care less about the exits.
Last edited by flight50 on 17 Jul 2021 03:27, edited 1 time in total.
bobgrey1997

#115 Post by bobgrey1997 » 17 Jul 2021 01:50

flight50 wrote: 17 Jul 2021 01:35 You two are pretty much saying........you don't want to be meet in the middle. Its all or nothing. No compromise for you. The only outcome is to do it right from you guys standpoint. One of you wants them removed if not done right and the other doesn't want them to stay as they are. So there is only one way to make you two happy. This is the point I'm trying to make. They might not be right, but this is meeting us in the middle. This is the compromise. You two are not satisfied with compromise. This is why I mentioned I'm fine with having something rather than nothing but its being taken that I want fake. Want no...okay with, yes. Either leave it as is or add the numbers is cool with me. The last thing I want is them removed.
Except it's not a compromise, it's a lazy, half-assed excuse. I've said this many times already: these so-called Distance signs we have now are nothing more than the already-existing Destination signs, just in the wrong place. They serve no purpose, so shouldn't have ever been added (and should be removed). A true compromise is to at least add some form of distance. It still won't please eceryone, as some of us want the real numbers, some want the scaled numbers, some want some other form of numbers. However, it would be meeting in the middle by at least having a proper Distance sign.
Max
SCS Software

#116 Post by Max » 18 Jul 2021 10:04

well, it can't be made completely correct.
based on two requirements: we WANT player to have hundres of miles on odometer between cities. and also we WANT trucks behave more or less real (physics based).
these two are in clear contradiction unles you have map scale 1:1 which is (near) impossible to be made for the game. and we do not want that anyway as any job would take too long then.

thus we have to fake something. and thus some players will shitstorm us when they hit the false tone. it inevitable.

not having direct distances on signs was all the time way of not aiming player awarenes to map scale. nothing more, nothing less.
but as we are adding more and mode details in game it is starting obvious that more and more detail are missing. it is huge caveat that will consume us eventualy .. :)

another bit of food for thought for discussion:
we already have exit numbers in game (at least some dlcs). what mileage we should use on signs eventually to not get into contradiciton with those numbers? how much we can lie on actual in-game distances if we need to?
Nobody can tell you anything about it. Those who know about it aren't allowed to talk. And those who talk know nothing.
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#117 Post by Mohegan13 » 18 Jul 2021 10:32

For me if you were going to add mileage to exit signs I would say go with the real distance.

It would look ridiculous to use the game mileage as the first exit marker on a straight road would be in visual range. So having it in game miles just wouldn't feel right.

But really the best option is to simply not put distance on them where possible.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
plykkegaard

#118 Post by plykkegaard » 18 Jul 2021 10:44

Real distance = 1 mile vs 20 miles in game?
Nahh I'll pass, I see your point though

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
flight50

#119 Post by flight50 » 18 Jul 2021 15:16

Outside of this thread, it seems as most people aren’t to distracted or concerned about what’s in place. I’m not sure much can or will be done that doesn’t cause a headache.
bobgrey1997

#120 Post by bobgrey1997 » 18 Jul 2021 15:59

Max wrote: 18 Jul 2021 10:04 not having direct distances on signs was all the time way of not aiming player awarenes to map scale. nothing more, nothing less.
Wouldn't the best way to handle this be what was suggested the other day: using the distance the Route Advisor would show? This wouldn't draw attention to the scale any more than the Route Advisor or Job Market does.
Though, I am curious. If it was an intentional choise to avoid the distance because of this discussion, then why were the signs added at all? Simply not including them would have avoided this entire situation.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”