Should SCS raise the WoTR limit to 80mph ??

Should SCS raise the WoTR limit to 80mph ??

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 97

Frayner

Re: Should SCS raise the WoTR limit to 80mph ??

#71 Post by Frayner » 19 Sep 2021 04:31

I chose no because after a bit of research I came up with this.

http://cantruck.ca/speed-limiter-bill- ... -congress/

My guess is they chose it mostly cause of what most of those companies that have been named earlier have set their speed limiters to, but US Congress was looking at introducing a 65MPH mandated speed limiter in all trucks nation wide.
Intel i9 13900K, 32 GB RAM, MSI RTX™ 4090 SUPRIM LIQUID X 24G, Bigscreen Beyond
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#72 Post by Mohegan13 » 19 Sep 2021 12:14

They've been pushing this for 15 years. TBH I get the feeling it won't happen. Or it will end up being a State by State thing, which means it mostly won't happen.

Some other articles also say numerous speeds have been suggested including 70mph with the use of an adaptive cruise control system and an automatic emergency braking system. So even if the bill proposal was to pass, the speed limit may vary any way.

From my view SCS needs to do something because the majority have been asking for it since WoTr became a thing. Removing or raising the limit to stupid numbers is just that, stupid. But keeping it within realistic norms seems fair. As much as I would like to hit 80, a simple raise to 70 would be more than enough. If such a bill should pass, they can always lower it again.

At the end of the day, you have to go with the majority or the majority will just lose interest. I've already said that once I get those last two WoTr achievements I will go back to being a WoTr Event only type and none of the suggested WoTr features that have been teased by Pavel would change that for me. 🤷‍♂
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
Frayner

#73 Post by Frayner » 19 Sep 2021 13:26

Which is your choice of course. I tend to myself actually drive 65 even on jobs not using the world of trucks market, mostly cause the gearing in the vanilla trucks leaves the engine at 1300 RPM and any faster and it sounds like your screaming down the road anyways.

But that’s just my choice anyways.
Ayki

#74 Post by Ayki » 29 Sep 2021 02:21

Meanwhile in Pennsylvania when you are cruising on I-80 if you want to obey the speed limit of 70 Mph by going with 72 mph, 80% of the trucks will pass you. (Valid for Central PA, dunno rest) :lol:
Bob123412

#75 Post by Bob123412 » 29 Sep 2021 17:19

bobgrey1997 wrote: 16 Sep 2021 07:47 Now that I think of it...
Anyone here knowledgeable in how these limiters actually work, and can shed some light on why they seem to be set to these odd fractions? Is it something to do with engine timing? Tire RMP and size of tire?
I can't speak for all trucks and I am not an expert but from my observations and general knowledge this is what I know.

First of all putting bigger or smaller wheels onto a vehicle without re-calibrating the speedometer will make the speedometer wrong.

Volvo's, mack's and probably others can have separate speed settings for both Cruise control and for pedal. My truck can do 105kmh on the peddle but I can only set it to 104kmh with cruise. I find when using the peddle it seems to run slightly faster than 105 and on cruise it runs slightly slower than 104. The previous truck i was operating was set to 105 on the peddle and 100 on cruise.

Now the rest of this is just guess work. Different trucks work differently so I would be fairly confident in saying that just having a different engine configuration would cause the truck to run differently. Back when we were set at 100 My Volvo could always go 100 no problem but the mack we had couldn't get past 98 even though both trucks were set at 100.

Most modern limiters are just run by the computer so it would really depend on how the computer and the engine communicate with one another.

Another thing that could potentially change is simply aerodynamics, wind, and weight. This would definitely effect the fractions. I doubt this would make a change of more than 0.5mph and I've never noticed a major speed difference hauling a trailer with all the wings vs one without, but these things could effect things on a minuscule level.
bobgrey1997

#76 Post by bobgrey1997 » 29 Sep 2021 17:38

Not gonna lie, I've got no clue what 105km/h is.
I think 120 is roughly 65mph?
I speak American. While I like metric, conversion is beyond me.
Anyway, I know tire size will make the speedometer read differently. It measures how fast tye wheels are rotating, then figures speed based on the size it is set for, so a larger tire will push you faster at the same rate of rotation, so you will be going faster than the speedometer says. It can get quite noticeable in a convoy (each vehicle reading a different speed while all going the same speed).
As for the limiters, I've never seen a difference due to wind, weight, etc. I can go 65.2 regardless of wind or the weight of my truck, it just might take longer to get to that speed. That said, the max weight I can haul is 80,000 pounds (total). There are probably many loads such as flatbed cargo that the engine just can't handle so well.
My only guess as to why these odd speeds are chosen is that it has to do with engine timing. 65.2 might be the most efficient speed for this truck's configuration, not only in terms of fuel cost, but in terms of maintenance. The most fuel-efficient speed in my truck as actually in the 50s, I believe (the moment it shifts into its highest gear; going the fasted it can at the lowest RPM it can), but the exact timing of the engine and its components might be more damaging than it is at 65.2?
I've got no clue on the inner workings of these things. All I know is that I fill the tanks with a non-flammable liquid so it can apply flame to it to make it explode, creating force harnessed via rotation energy.m, which is transferred to the drive axle to move the vehicle.
I get lost at exploding a non-flammable liquid.
Moonrunner

#77 Post by Moonrunner » 29 Sep 2021 17:39

Should not have a speed limit.....
xXCARL1992Xx

#78 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 29 Sep 2021 17:39

the conversion is 1.6, or 1.5 if you want to do it easy, 65mph are 104km/h
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Frayner

#79 Post by Frayner » 29 Sep 2021 18:35

1mph is 1.609 km/h
Some newbie driver

#80 Post by Some newbie driver » 01 Oct 2021 13:53

@bobgrey1997 sometimes high speeds are limited by other secondary or external reasons not just peak of fuel efficiency.

I know for sure that the speed is a variable used when investigating the wear on the tarmac. Also reading the force that must resist barriers, new jerseys and other kind of safety measures in the road margins.

And there's too the amount of time it takes to do an emergency brake given some weight of the vehicle. As that weight is already limited; the speed is the other variable to control and use to be setup in values that could satisfy certain braking distances in most cases. Of course, technologies improve way faster than regulatory changes; but there's also the point of old vehicles, or the margin of bad maintenance and such things; so they use to be conservative with allowing more speed.

And returning to the topic, I agree to remove that limiter at the current state of the game. It doesn't serve any real purpose neither has a meaning. If someday WoTR changes someway that it could have a reason to exist, maybe we should think twice. But not now.

Regards

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”