Should SCS raise the WoTR limit to 80mph ??

Should SCS raise the WoTR limit to 80mph ??

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 97

supersobes
Global moderator

Re: Should SCS raise the WoTR limit to 80mph ??

#61 Post by supersobes » 15 Sep 2021 17:33

At this point in time, it's purely a speculation given the information available. This is why I said it's likely they used this reasoning to pick 65 MPH. But it would be nice if maybe someone from SCS came to shed some light on the subject.
bobgrey1997

#62 Post by bobgrey1997 » 15 Sep 2021 17:38

The limiter still isn't realistic, as the player isn't driving for another company in their trucks. On World of Trucks contracts, the player uses their own truck.
This idea of "leveling the field" is just an ingorant stupid idea someone who has never been in the industry came up with. Trucking is NOT a competition to have advantages in, and there is no disadvantage to going slower. However, this is another feature SCS is too stubborn and hard-headed to realize it is wrong on every level of what the game is meant to be.
rookie31st

#63 Post by rookie31st » 16 Sep 2021 01:22

I always laugh when people say that the 65mph speed limit is for leveling the field. This argument fails to acknowledge that WoT does not force fatigue, does not force traffic violations, does not force AI traffic. The field has never been level. The 65mph limitation makes no sense as "equalizer". Without AI traffic and violations anyone will be faster than players with AI traffic and following the law. I have 65mph limit ON and will keep it ON even if WoT disabled it, but it makes no sense as "leveling the field". Safety and ecology thing? Yes. Leveling the field? Bull fecal.
:)
Have a mature suggestion to improve American Truck Simulator? Fahgettaboudit!
bobgrey1997

#64 Post by bobgrey1997 » 16 Sep 2021 01:32

Yet, that is why we have it.
EurocopterX3

#65 Post by EurocopterX3 » 16 Sep 2021 05:40

I mean, I'm under the belief it has something to do with one or two things. The first being the weirdest one, which is SCS coming across articles about how the United States Government has previously proposed legislation that would mandate trucks to be governed at anywhere from between 60 mph and 68 mph. The second thing being that World of Trucks, now correctly me if I am wrong about this one, is eventually supposed to lead to VTCs. If this is the case, then the 65 mph limit is realistic as it is supposed to represent you being part of a fleet, which depending on how large the firm is, may or may not have mandatory speed governors that limit a truck to speeds anywhere between 60 and 65 mph. Of course, this is all speculation on my part and much like supersobes, I would like to have an official answer as to why it is implemented and if maybe SCS is willing to make it customizable so that we can reflect how different firms have their trucks governed at different speeds.
bobgrey1997

#66 Post by bobgrey1997 » 16 Sep 2021 07:47

If this is all part of a long-term VTC plan, they are still going about it unrealistically.
Let's say World of Trucks allows us to join other companies. Well, those companies would most-likely be player-owned. If this is the case, each company owner should be able to determine which speed, if any, their trucks would be limited to. The speeds they can choose would have no limit, as there is no law restricting which speeds a given fleet can set their limiters to. A company could, for example, set theur limiters to 150mph (therefore maintaining the soft-limiter that is the posted speed limit; I say "soft-limiter" because they do not physically restrict the speed of the vehucle, but rather make going over that speed a criminal act), or set them to 10mph (therefore making it illegal to opperate on most roads due to obstructing the flow of traffic).
A flat-rate 65mph limit is unrealistic, in every possible scenario.
As such, I doubt realism is a factor at all in their decision.
I think this is nothing more than an ignorant assumption by someone, and the ignorant agreeance of the rest (ignorant as in not knowing better; not to mean dumb), followed by their blind stubbornness resulting in the refusal to listen to counter-arguements.
SCS does have a tendency to be stubborn on various aspects. It's like they make up their mind about something with whatever variables and information they have at the time, then refuse to hear anything about a change to it later, even when new information becomes available. All people do this, and I think this speed limiter just so happens to be one such situation for SCS.

On the topic of the limiter itself...
I do wonder if it is set to exactly 65mph, or just above.
Oddly enough, from what I've seen, the most common speed limiters in the US seem to be 63.5, 65.2, and 68.9. I've seen various local trucks (box trucks) with 63.5 (including one my father used to drive), and have driven a few myself limited to 65.2 (including the one I currently drive), and have heard of many reports of 68.9 (and seem to get passed by these all the time, though is hard to tell from the others going 70 or 80).
Now, the digital dash and the cruise control won't tell you these numbers, as they stay at whole integers. However, the speedometer gauge will give you a more precise measure. While something like 0.2mph might be caused by various aspects of the situation resulting in the needly being a bit off, it wouldn't be consistent. It wouldn't just stay there at 65 and a fifth while I have cruise control set, and the next truck wouldn't just so happen to rest at the same odd spot.

Now that I think of it...
Anyone here knowledgeable in how these limiters actually work, and can shed some light on why they seem to be set to these odd fractions? Is it something to do with engine timing? Tire RMP and size of tire?
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#67 Post by Mohegan13 » 16 Sep 2021 13:43

Here's an Idea. Instead of the arbitrary 65mph, why don't they max it at 75mph which is the top end of where some companies might assign it (for anti-cheat purposes) but when the VTC aspect of WoTr finally appears, give VTC owners the option of lowering the max limit if they want to.

So if they choose to lower it back to 65mph they can, if they want it at 67mph which is another common number they can. If they'd rather not have one then they are simply bound by the WoTr max of 75mph.

It would be a near perfect solution. It gives the VTC owner the option of picking what they feel is right for their company, while at the same time improving the ridiculous limit we have now.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
bobgrey1997

#68 Post by bobgrey1997 » 16 Sep 2021 20:32

The only way to improve it is to remove it. Why switch out one arbitrary limit for another?
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#69 Post by Mohegan13 » 17 Sep 2021 13:59

We already know they will never remove it. So why waste time discussing removing it? That's why the whole topic's purpose is about raising the limit.
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
bobgrey1997

#70 Post by bobgrey1997 » 18 Sep 2021 02:26

Then it should be raised to something above any possible limit, so 100 or more would do it.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”