Sometimes I would, Sometimes I wouldn't
33%
I prefer driving the truck myself
55%

Total votes: 69

Brendan0620

Autopilot Feature

#1 Post by Brendan0620 » 17 Nov 2021 20:39

Now, I know I'm going to get a lot of criticism for suggesting this, such as "this is a truck simulator, not a scenery simulator" or "are you too lazy to drive a truck or something?" but that's not my point here, as I have well over 1,000 hours playing ATS.

I thought that an autopilot feature would be nice, at least for those who don't like driving long distances. Sometimes they can use autopilot, sometimes they can manually drive the truck, I think this would be a great feature, as a few simulators across the simulator world have autopilot.

Autopilot would work as a Tesla Autopilot would. the Autopilot drives the truck for you and you can adjust the spacing distance and other features like the top speed you want to drive at. Of course this feature would and should be disabled during World of Trucks contracts, because you know...
Here is a good example of how the autopilot could work:
Pavel recently touched up on a stream mentioning autopilot for one moment and then moving on, saying this:
I think we worked on autopilot to some extent, but as far as transformation activities are concerned, doing something different, that didn't happen.
So if Pavel is indeed talking about the autopilot I'm thinking about, then that is great to hear they were working on it before they stopped. Hopefully they didn't stop forever, as this feature, although takes time and programming to do, could one day get in the game.

So, I want to hear your thoughts, would you use autopilot, maybe sometimes use it, or do you have no interest in autopilot and would like to keep driving the way we all do? I have a poll you can answer with! Share your thoughts on this down below!
[ external image ]
Intel Core i7 13700F -> MSI GeForce RTX 4060TI 16GB -> 32GB RAM -> Y40 Case
What is your Favorite Interstate in American Truck Simulator?
actros aaron

Re: Autopilot Feature

#2 Post by actros aaron » 17 Nov 2021 21:43

If it was made a feature i'd probably use it the odd time...if they did they could put a 2km limit on it otherwise it turns off or something...like a dead mans switch
SirVirgoTheMess

#3 Post by SirVirgoTheMess » 17 Nov 2021 21:47

I voted the 3rd option.If i don't feel like driving,well i'm not going to play.
Underscore_101_

#4 Post by Underscore_101_ » 18 Nov 2021 01:12

I'm not against such features, but i voted for #3.

Though i really prefer playing the game and actually do the work i get distracted easily and possibly would let the game play on one screen and do something else on another screen if the option for auto drive was added :-)

For example sometimes when i'm playing i'm seeing an unfinished paint job, or a new idea for a paint job comes to mind, atm i usually keep on playing 'till i've delivered the load, but with auto play i probably wouldn't.
Laqueesha

#5 Post by Laqueesha » 19 Nov 2021 02:58

That'd be cool. Sit in the passenger seat as the truck drives itself.
nater6540

#6 Post by nater6540 » 02 Dec 2021 11:22

Laqueesha wrote: 19 Nov 2021 02:58 That'd be cool. Sit in the passenger seat as the truck drives itself.
I can imagine that would come in handy with fatigue simulation turn on, because if you’re too tired to drive, just turn on the auto pilot and let it take over for you so dozing off and potentially losing control and crashing becomes a nearly nonexistent problem as long as the autopilot doesn’t screw up. I’ve crashed and damaged my truck way too many times trying to make the critical decision of whether to keep driving and risk dozing off and crashing, or stop at a rest area and call it a night in-game at the cost of waking up the next in-game day and running late when it comes to important and/or urgent deliveries where time is against you.
flight50

#7 Post by flight50 » 03 Dec 2021 05:09

Virgo91 wrote: 17 Nov 2021 21:47 I voted the 3rd option.If i don't feel like driving,well i'm not going to play.
Yeah this is how I see it. Days when I'm just too tired or sleepy, I just wait til I can play. I voted no as well. I'm not gonna flame the idea, I'm just not interested.
plykkegaard

#8 Post by plykkegaard » 03 Dec 2021 05:27

You have CC what more do you need
An auto pilot the daily doze of AI mishaps? Sorry, no!

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
aerlenkoenig

#9 Post by aerlenkoenig » 03 Dec 2021 06:35

Virgo91 wrote: 17 Nov 2021 21:47 If i don't feel like driving,well i'm not going to play.
For me, that quote fits perfectly. I think the games are not designed for "afk-farming". Something like ACC I could imagine, but I would consider a complete autopilot with automatic steering etc. as too much. As already written, this potential feature should also be disabled for WoT contracts. However, this could still lead to problems with VTC trackers, which also track normal contracts. That would ruin the whole competition that some are pushing for, since you could theoretically disable traffic and then drive 24/7 on autopilot.
VRTransport

#10 Post by VRTransport » 11 Dec 2021 18:10

Autopilot would be interesting to enable from the beginning of the mission so that you can admire the view of going through the city and the highway etc. And as far as interaction is concerned, you can open the windows and glovebox, adjust the AC controls and perhaps move around the cabin if riding as a co-passenger so it is interactive then in that way. I would love to see it.

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”