Walkaround feature should be enabled for the whole gameworld.

Some newbie driver

Re: Walkaround feature should be enabled for the whole gameworld.

#12 Post by Some newbie driver » 28 Nov 2021 15:11

It still means whatever object and texture near wherever we could stop the truck, should had to me created detailed enough to avoid seem a bunch of pixels when look at closely. Something that its absolutely out of scale in terms of the work it could take to SCS.

I remember you they had to put everybody working on alter textures just for the new lighting and even so, they had a delay of 4 months to release Iberia. What you are asking here is one of those two options:
A: At least on order of magnitude more work (thus 10 times more delay) than what lighting changes was
B: Not to touch any model, allow us to walk around and you would come all here to keep complaining every day about how ugly is everything when walking around the truck.

The only feasible way I see for something similar to this to happen is that we could do those "walk around" in very limited and controlled places: inside our owned garages, in repair workshops yards and at a later stage when stopped on gas stations or parking zones. And I would not expect anything of this to come in several years, if ever.

Regards
plykkegaard

#13 Post by plykkegaard » 28 Nov 2021 15:20

Come on now, obvoius you can't take a picnic in the forest, but with boundaries like the photo mode it could adequate
No retexturing is needed then

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Grizzly

#14 Post by Grizzly » 28 Nov 2021 22:02

Yeah we've already got photo mode and external camera, I see no real difference with a walkaround camera that was bound to the truck.
Travismods

#15 Post by Travismods » 29 Nov 2021 10:02

55sixxx wrote: 27 Nov 2021 19:10 On a lot of areas, the textures are not that great and it's really low detailed (And rightfully so, because you shouldn't be able to explore those areas from inside the truck.), so, would you want to go exploring a world that on some parts, looks like GTA III ???

This game is about the act of driving the truck, not exploring the world like a sandbox game... There are some stuff that could and should be added to increase realism (In my point of view), but the one you listed is not among them. Being able to walk around the garage is already good enough.

Oh, and btw, FS22 has what you're asking for. That game has trucks too.

Without mentioning that the game engine is limited to do what you're asking for... If they start to add building interiors, shops and etc... It will increase the size of the game a lot and will stop running "smoothly" on lower end PC's or will just not run at all.
This kind of addition has nothing to do with high or low end PC limitations, it's literally just a camera, that already exists in the dev console by pressing 0 already, just without collisions and fixed height. I am growing incredibly tired of the "low end PC" excuse for everything worthwhile being added to the game. We should really add nothing worthwhile because some ancient PCs could not handle it? Just such a strange argument that I only see brought up with SCS games and nowhere else with no other game.

Whats more, that isnt even the case for a camera, but even if it DID had performance implications your argument is just plain dumb. Why should we not add more interesting things to the game which is more or less drive from point a to point b simulator, just because some people choose to play on a calculator?
Travismods

#16 Post by Travismods » 29 Nov 2021 10:06

Some newbie driver wrote: 28 Nov 2021 15:11 It still means whatever object and texture near wherever we could stop the truck, should had to me created detailed enough to avoid seem a bunch of pixels when look at closely. Something that its absolutely out of scale in terms of the work it could take to SCS.

I remember you they had to put everybody working on alter textures just for the new lighting and even so, they had a delay of 4 months to release Iberia. What you are asking here is one of those two options:
A: At least on order of magnitude more work (thus 10 times more delay) than what lighting changes was
B: Not to touch any model, allow us to walk around and you would come all here to keep complaining every day about how ugly is everything when walking around the truck.

The only feasible way I see for something similar to this to happen is that we could do those "walk around" in very limited and controlled places: inside our owned garages, in repair workshops yards and at a later stage when stopped on gas stations or parking zones. And I would not expect anything of this to come in several years, if ever.

Regards
No, it does not mean that. They don't have to update any textures at all if you limit the distance. It wouldn't be worse than how close you can get with the current cameras.
plykkegaard

#17 Post by plykkegaard » 29 Nov 2021 11:11

Agree with this photo mode works fine

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
55sixxx

#18 Post by 55sixxx » 29 Nov 2021 17:11

koolizz wrote: 29 Nov 2021 10:02 This kind of addition has nothing to do with high or low end PC limitations, it's literally just a camera, that already exists in the dev console by pressing 0 already, just without collisions and fixed height. I am growing incredibly tired of the "low end PC" excuse for everything worthwhile being added to the game. We should really add nothing worthwhile because some ancient PCs could not handle it? Just such a strange argument that I only see brought up with SCS games and nowhere else with no other game.

Whats more, that isnt even the case for a camera, but even if it DID had performance implications your argument is just plain dumb. Why should we not add more interesting things to the game which is more or less drive from point a to point b simulator, just because some people choose to play on a calculator?
No need to insult others that don't think like you. What you are asking for, simply DOES NOT belong into ETS2 or ATS (No matter how hard you try to justify it), walking around the city by foot, exploring stuff is a feature that belongs in sandbox games like GMod, GTA's and etc, ETS2 and ATS focus only on driving trucks.

I know it's just a "camera", but if SCS actually decides to do what you've asked, then people would be able to get close to anything in the game word. A lot of props have low quality because initially you weren't supposed to get closer to it, the players would start complaining that a lot of things are badly made and they'll demand a rework. Once the "rework" get's released they'll want more (You give them an inch, they'll want a mile), like the ability to interact with the game world and props... Let's also not forget that people would also ask for the ability to see their hands on the wheel (Which they already do), buy food by going into shops and gas stations, sleep animation, ability to walk around the cab, character customization, ability to switch the character view (From 1st person to 3rd)... And at this point they might as well just rename the game to "Grand Theft Truck: The life of trucker Tommy".
dengor

#19 Post by dengor » 29 Nov 2021 17:47

Edoo_Kaplan wrote: 27 Nov 2021 20:55 Walk feature should be implemented and limited to about 10 m from every point on the edge of truck trailer combo. It should be there only for interaction with truck and trailer, their attaching, their inspection opening and closing, checking and tightening the load, filling fuel tanks, etc. That would be enough for a simulator like ETS/ATS.
Agree. Anyway, while already implemented in the game.... so why not.
Some newbie driver

#20 Post by Some newbie driver » 29 Nov 2021 18:35

koolizz wrote: 29 Nov 2021 10:06No, it does not mean that. They don't have to update any textures at all if you limit the distance. It wouldn't be worse than how close you can get with the current cameras.
- The suggestion was to limit the distance regarding the truck (10 meters was used as example).
- The truck can be moved all over the game map
- So, anything that is at 10 meters of a place where we can stop with the truck can fall inside the vision range of that mode. Not to mention that, even if you could not walk far away, you could still have some camera freedom.

So, what I said is true to the last comma. Anything that would be near any place we could stop and walk by should either hat to be greatly upgraded in visuals (with the time, cost and performance toll it would have) or be left as it is now causing an infinite flood of complains due how ugly it would be.

You only need to stop on a gas station in Baltics or newer DLC and one in Italy or older; and look at the "interior". In newer DLC, buildings that it's expected we see in close distance and slow motion had been modeled with a lot more detail and with 3D interiors (although simple, they give real depth sensation). While on Italy and any previous DLC; those buildings are made of low resolution plain textures faking a perspective of non-existent interior (plus lots of small exterior details are also plaint pixels on a texture, not 3D modeled). When we talk about buildings that are just random scenery, not places where is expected we stop, only some of Iberia (and probably Black Sea, but I don't remember) have enough detail to be seen "closely".

So, 99% of the content of the game is not expected to be near us when walking around our truck. Max already told it, due the same reason the even had to make again the garage of the setting truck/trailer UI even when those use to be more away than those 10m.

And I'm not saying it's not possible. Of course it's possible. What I'm saying is that people suggesting it aren't aware of the colossal amount of work that would be necessary to do it. Game lacks tons of things way more important (for the main purpose of this game) than to walk around the truck. That's why I said it could be feasible to do it restricted to very specific places. For example, truck workshops where we could "walk around" doing a maintenance inspection for example. It would have sense an d it would mean SCS should only adapt a ridiculously low percentage of the total map in order to enable this feature. Change only the few workshop models there are and tweak the very close surroundings of them in every city. It's not small work but it's perfectly doable. That same changes applied anywhere we could reach with a truck is something out of scale.

Regards

Return to “Feature Wishlist and Suggestions”