Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

Reignman

Re: Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

#281 Post by Reignman » 12 Jan 2021 18:59

Doh! Nvidia just announced the RTX 3060 (non-ti) at CES, but it won't be available until the end of February, at an MSRP of $329. I was expecting $350 so that's good news, but dang, that means I gotta wait another month or more. Then I gotta hope I can get one before the scalpers and crypto farmers. These retailers better have a plan this time.

AMD only announced new mobile/notebook processors. No mention of any non-x CPU's for desktop. Ugh! Very disappointing.

Some newbie driver

#282 Post by Some newbie driver » 12 Jan 2021 19:07

@Reignman I don't remember now if you live on USA or in Canada.

I think remember it's the first andf then, last that I heard this very same week, is that because US Government let expire a grace period for some trade tariff with China, several computer parts are going to suffer a high increase in price (from 7% to 24%); included motherboards, high wattage PSU and graphic cards...

Dude, you shouldn't had anger Murphy so much. Not before had purchased the new computer. :lol:

plykkegaard

#283 Post by plykkegaard » 12 Jan 2021 19:10

Yes US is applying the good old thumbscrew trick, though it ususally only hurts the consumers not the companies
Office moved to Fort Collins, Colorado

WerewolfCustoms

#284 Post by WerewolfCustoms » 13 Jan 2021 07:01

Well, on the other side (of the Globe)... there is no graphics cards available to purchase in Norway.
Like, at all! I've checked the two biggest retailers and none of them have GPUs in stock ready to ship.
All of them have confirmed restock dates, some in a few days, while some in April! Crazy!

howey

#285 Post by howey » 13 Jan 2021 07:32

@WerewolfCustoms don't stress mate globally the cards are pretty scares right now, i was pretty lucky to get my 3080 straight away if i wasn't already partially getting my new PC built at the time i would of been on the waiting list for awhile as well. Only reason i got it was i was at the right place at the right time and the shop had good connections on getting rare stock of 30 series cards at the time.

I was hoping Nvidia would of miraculously had announced the rumor mill 3080ti officially at CES to confirm it is true but looks like it is still just a myth ATM. Although intel did announce there 11th gen CPU's i think? Though i'm more looking into their 13th gen CPU when the time is closer because if the reports are true of the rumors of the specs it its suppose to have on core/thread count along with the clocks speeds they have speculated it will be a massive power hungry monster lol.

WerewolfCustoms

#286 Post by WerewolfCustoms » 13 Jan 2021 08:07

Trying to build a new office PC to replace my 6 year old machine. Nothing fancy. But I simply can't process the fact that there is no GPUs available at all! No matter the price range. I need a cheap GPU - something like a GTX 1660Ti or the like. It probably will see up to 5 minutes of gameplay per month.

As for my home PC, by now I've come to terms that I'll be keeping my "placeholder" RX 5700 XT for a bit longer... Would like to swap it out for a 6800XT or a 3080Ti (when they actually make one).

plykkegaard

#287 Post by plykkegaard » 13 Jan 2021 08:18

If it it's for office use you could consider an MB with onboard GPU? Some of them are quite capable though ar from the 1660ti obvious
Office moved to Fort Collins, Colorado

Reignman

#289 Post by Reignman » 14 Jan 2021 16:45

Some newbie driver wrote:
12 Jan 2021 19:07
@Reignman I don't remember now if you live on USA or in Canada.
The US, but central Minnesota so I probably couldn't throw a rock without hitting a canuck xD.
several computer parts are going to suffer a high increase in price (from 7% to 24%); included motherboards, high wattage PSU and graphic cards...
I think I found a decent reputable PSU for a reasonable price. What do you think of this Seasonic with a 5 year warranty?

https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-m12ii-7 ... 6817151107

I didn't need a fully modular, but this is one of the best prices I've seen for a 750W 80 Plus. Several reviewers warn of a short CPU or MB cable and how it might not work in a large case. My case seems fairly big, but it's listed as a mid sized tower, so I'm not sure. When it comes to compatibility, cases mention maximum GPU length, so I wish they'd mention minimum cable length too lol. Worst case scenario I guess I have to get a cable extension.
Dude, you shouldn't had anger Murphy so much. Not before had purchased the new computer. :lol:
Right? Yeah I don't know what I did, but this is usually my kind of luck with anything I try to do xD. I had to come up with my own law for it because Murphy didn't quite cover it. Reignman's Law is simply, it will go wrong, even if it can't.

Speaking of which, I've been looking for a backup GPU plan in case I can't get my hands on a 3060 at the end of February. What would you think of a GT 1030 as a temporary solution? I was trying to find something used for under $100, but I found a new GT 1030 at Newegg for $85. It might not be a good card, but it blows my 9800 GT away and I only need it for a few months ... hopefully. I can't even find a 1650 for under $400 anymore.

https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-gt- ... 6814126209

Because I can't live with my useless 9800 GT much longer lol. I hear the 3060 could be the new favorite of crypto miners for it's 12GB of memory, so I need to start looking at plan B, C, and M, and I really don't want to buy anything used on ebay. Maybe I can use the 1030 until the 4000 series GPU's come out in a couple of years lol.

And with no announcement of a 5600 (non-X), I might just go ahead and get the 3700X next time it's on sale. It's always in stock at MSRP ($325). The original plan of getting a 3600 doesn't seem viable anymore, and they're never below $200. It might be June before I see a 5600 or 3060 in stock and I'm not willing to wait that long lol. I know I said that 3 months ago, but this is getting ridiculous. Most people can probably get by just fine with their 5yo i5 and 960, but my 12yo core 2 quad with a 9800 GT is pure torture xD.

RAM is starting to become an issue too. Crucial has even raised their prices now. I can't get a CL16 3600 16GB kit for under $85 anymore. It was $75 last week and $65 just a couple months ago. 32GB kits have gone from $140 to $190. How bad is CL18 compared to CL16 anyway? Because that might be something I have to sacrifice. It's that or I have to sacrifice 3600 for 3200 lol. I know I keep joking about it, but it's getting serious now. I should probably just buy a kit next time I see it for $75. The 32GB dream is DOA.

Those are the only parts I still need, CPU, GPU, PSU, and RAM.

Some newbie driver

#290 Post by Some newbie driver » 14 Jan 2021 18:27

Seasonic is a good brand (even it has from very good to just decent products, as like almost everyone). I would recomend though to search for a semi-modular (or not modular at all) unit that would have better certification than Bronze. It's not that this certification means everything, but it's a good sign if the rest of the unit is from a good manufacturer. While spent money on a full modular PSU is a waste of that extra money. The only reason to go full modular is that you would want to change the cables that supply power to motherboard by customized ones (and it's not your case because we already talk about you don't want a showroom-case). Those are the cables that are fixed on a semi-modular PSU (because all computers need them, so no need to don't have them linked).

And when reviewers talk about short cables for a large case, they mean HUGE cases. No decent PSU is going to have cables too short for a regular-sized case like yours; don't worry about that. A 650W could be also enough for your system, considering you aren't aiming the power hungry top tier VGA cards. Anyways, as a very extensive source of info to chose PSU, I like the exhaustive list that the PSUcultists made on the Linus Media forums: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1116640 ... tier-list/

BTW, last that I heard is those 12GB on a 3060 are either a big typo (on the Lenovo web that leaked the info) or a bad joke of Nvidia in the face of all the 3080 purchasers. Because considering that last one has "only" 8GB and NVidia claimed lots of times "it would be more than enough for gaming"; if they release now a mid-tier 3060 (not even Ti) with 12GB it would seem that Nvidia wants to angry customers so they go purchase AMD. :roll:

About RAM performance, I would suggest you one video that Linus Tech Tips dedicated on purpose to test the best memory configs for memory on Ryzen 3rd Gen. You will see the difference you ask for yourself so you could decide. As I told you, one of the reasons that I told you 3600 RAM was because I expected Ryzen gen 4 to increase their base RAM speed value over 3200 (what would had made 3200 DIMM suboptimal on a future upgrade). As that finally doesn't happened, 3.600 even still better option, are a bit less important. There's also another video of Gamer's nexus when he deeply tested a curios behavior on Ryzen 4th Gen where they behave better using 4 sticks than only 2 (while from always that we had got DDR, it has been the opposite). For people that want to squeeze max performance I think derbauer has the best tutorials but it's not your case, you want a PC that last long not to burnt it soon. :lol:

Last but not least... We sold to a customer 4 computers for their office with 3600 on them, insta-stock. Is not that I enjoy to see you suffer for it (or yes :twisted:) but I pout it as example of what it seems those stocks are being focused mostly on system integrators (at least on my local market). After all, to route them to DIY market is causing only a few people gaining obscene amount of money by keeping real customers angry. So, if customers are going to be angry anyway, at least AMD wins more money selling to system integrators.

Regards

Return to “Off topic and other voices”