How many US cities can you name?

Some newbie driver

Re: How many US cities can you name?

#21 Post by Some newbie driver » 03 Jun 2021 20:59

Well, that can happen everywhere really @Bedavd ;)

But my point was the opposite: not being from there one "regular" person (with regular meaning with no specific interests in geography) can't expect to know more than a couple of those cities/state combos. The ones we all know by the media, the news... The globally famous ones. And even those, the state could be tricky for lots of people (Las Vegas is known worldwide... but I bet my lung most people could not say right it's in Nevada).

In that scenario, the game isn't challenging and fun, it's just frustrating. That's why I turned to the option of "guessing". It was like if I was playing to get in the minds of the people that founded towns back in time in the states. How would they name the new settled place.

And it turns there's some fun things to learn doing so:
- How far to the north Spanish-like names were found. I always though that influence would had been restricted way more to the south (that was fur for me, as it's like part of my country history that I just missed)
- How many Moscows there's on the USA! I would not imagine how weird it could be for some proud USA citizen being in the darkest times of Cold War saying "I'm from Moscow" when meeting somebody. :lol:
- One can try to imagine how it was the landscape os some places, how impacting could be some trait to put it in the same of the town (Springfield as the most common example, but there's lot more related to landscape)
- Or about the expectations of those first settlers. To name some places "... city" and being small towns under 200 citizens. Certainly, it didn't worked as the founder's expected. :mrgreen:
- Or the opposite "...towns" that ended being multi-hundred-thousand citizens metropolis. :)
- How they expanded the most "pious" settlers, with all those biblical names to their towns
- Or the black humor of some names, like the Snowflake i mentioned before. :lol:

And so many more

It's also interesting to see how this method was way less successful in the west. Not just because they are less towns there; but because the more to the west, the less Euro-centric are the names.

BTW, you have to recognize that your capitals aren't easy at all. At least from an European point of view. We are used (not everywhere, but in lots of countries) to geographical areas named as their most important cities; because that has been a process of centuries. The settling of USA is more recent and way different: choosing a convenient capital for a new territory and later happened than other cities flourished a lot more when the pass of time turned them be placed in more strategical locations (simplifying OFC). Almost no capital is either named as the state not their biggest and renowned city (in lots of cases the capital isn't even in the top 10; Vermont one really shocked me)

Regards
supersobes
Global moderator

#22 Post by supersobes » 03 Jun 2021 21:03

Bedavd wrote: 03 Jun 2021 20:17 I know many many Americans who can barely name the States let alone their capitals or other cities in them :lol:
Many Americans like me. I'm still really annoyed that I forgot some of the state capitals. :(
Some newbie driver

#23 Post by Some newbie driver » 03 Jun 2021 21:31

Don't flail yourself too much supersobes. It happens often in my country too even 90% of them being the same name (city and "state"). So, here when we fail is that we don't remember anything at all. :lol:
Brendan0620

#24 Post by Brendan0620 » 03 Jun 2021 21:39

I named 1,651 Cities, including 37 State Capitals, named a city in every state including the District of Columbia, and only missed one major city (San Jose, CA).

https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa/share/282887

My most known state is the state in which I currently live in, Florida, I named 115 cities! (obviously) and Texas is my second most known state, although I have never lived there, I have visited and have studied cities within the Lone Star State and others within and without.

Tampa and it's suburbs is the area I know the most, being from there, I have been all around the areas of Tampa and that's why I named a lot of cities and towns there.
[ external image ]
Intel Core i7 13700F -> MSI GeForce RTX 4060TI 16GB -> 32GB RAM -> Y40 Case
What is your Favorite Interstate in American Truck Simulator?
jdwarfer

#25 Post by jdwarfer » 20 Jun 2021 08:47

It's funny to find cities by trying people first names, last names, cities from other countries etc xD
I got many of them xD
Mohegan13
Global moderator

#26 Post by Mohegan13 » 20 Jun 2021 11:13

natvander wrote: 02 Jun 2021 21:57 Now go try Australia…
I can name many, pronouncing them on the other hand... :lol:

I gave up with 510 names. Using "every state" setting. No random name guesses, just names I new existed. :D
[ external image ]
I reserve the right to be 100% wrong.
Something isn't right, nothing feels the same.
Everyone around me Is a different shade of grey.
natvander
SCS Software

#27 Post by natvander » 20 Jun 2021 13:08

No more difficult than pronouncing Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

:)
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
jdwarfer

#28 Post by jdwarfer » 20 Jun 2021 14:00

Dry Valley, Nevada, population 78 xD
Black Rock, White Rock, Red Rock xD

I'm addicted, I want to find them all xD

183 so far

No Name, Colorado. Must have been out of idea there xD
Georg Haeder

#29 Post by Georg Haeder » 02 Jul 2021 14:25

I had 392 cities, but I'm German so i don't know much about the USA to begin with.
First I started with all the Cvil war battlefield I know like Mechanicsville, Vicksburg, Gettyburg, Manassas and so on and then by names I knew from ATS and then by names I have heard.
And at last the obvious ones, the well known ones like San Bernadino, San Jose, LA, SF, St. Louis, NYC and so on.
British city names are also quite successful like London, Glasgow, New Castle etc.
https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa/share/341399

[ external image ]
supersobes
Global moderator

#30 Post by supersobes » 29 May 2022 23:57

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”