Railfanning

J. Ritter

Railfanning

#1 Post by J. Ritter » 11 Sep 2018 14:25

I have gathered that there are a few railfans here. Railfanning is probably my number one hobby. I love trains and always have. I grew up in a small town in northwest Georgia that was on the former Central of Georgia C line. I was born in 79, so I saw Southern high hoods running locals down from Chattanooga all the time, then briefly the same high hoods but in NS paint. It is now a shortline called the C&C, and it has steam excursions on the weekends in the fall, usually pulled by the famous Southern 4501. I also have faint memories of the tracks still being used on the old TAG line that ran by my cousin's house. I feel fortunate to have seen that.

The TAG Route

Anyhow, having lived in Georgia, Alabama, and North Carolina all my life, my favorite modern line is Norfolk Southern. I like CSX too, but they have been cannibalizing themselves as of late, and I hated that all the grey was removed from their color scheme. I loved the old L&N/ Family Lines / Seaboard System schemes.

All that being said, I have been getting better with my railfan photography over the last 2 years. I live close to the Piedmont division on the north side of Charlotte. Here are some pics I've gotten in the last couple of years.

EDIT: Link to the entire album: NC Railfanning

N&W 611 at Charlotte Junction, Charlotte, NC

Virginian Heritage Unit, Harrisburg, NC

Harrisburg, NC

CP "Junker" Charlotte, NC

CP "Junker" Charlotte, NC

Around CP "Shamrock," close to Concord, NC

Cramerton / Belmont, NC

Belmont, NC

Belmont, NC

Back Creek Church Rd, Charlotte, NC

Summit Ave, Charlotte, NC

KCS Southern Belle in Kannapolis, NC

Last edited by J. Ritter on 11 Sep 2018 16:10, edited 1 time in total.
(The Artist Formerly Known as Ranaldo20)
Other Tales- NEW! July 5th -TJ Doing What He Does

DICEEE
Beta tester

Re: Railfanning

#2 Post by DICEEE » 11 Sep 2018 14:27

Woah! Cool! Wanna see some trains from Romania? Head over to http://instagram.com/trainspotteriasi
I dont know how to post instagram vids//pics here
My screenshots
ROMANIA DRIVER.

BK Vissers
Global moderator

#3 Post by BK Vissers » 11 Sep 2018 14:32

Heh. Nice thread, my friend. :) Where I am now there are only a limited number of operational tracks, doing primarily passenger duty for VIA Rail (Canadian National’s passenger division, sort of like Amtrak). Pity, as I used to see freight regularly from Grand Truck, CN, Canadian Pacific, Central Vermont, and others where I grew up. Keep it up, most enjoyable.

J. Ritter

#4 Post by J. Ritter » 11 Sep 2018 16:03

DICEEE wrote:
11 Sep 2018 14:27
Woah! Cool! Wanna see some trains from Romania? Head over to http://instagram.com/trainspotteriasi
I dont know how to post instagram vids//pics here
Cool centercab in that one pic!

@BK- Thanks! Fortunately I have lived around some of the busiest corridors in the south, the NS Piedmont and East End divisions, the CSX W&A line (home of the great locomotive chase in the Civil War), and the NS Chattanooga-Atlanta line. I was going to go fanning this Friday, but hurricane Florence might have other ideas.

I saw a good handful of VIA trains when I was in Halifax last summer. I wish the line to Cape Breton was more operational. That would be some GREAT railfanning.

supersobes
Global moderator

#5 Post by supersobes » 11 Sep 2018 19:45

I don't know much about trains, but I see a lot of Norfolk Southern (like the ones that you have shown here) freight trains and Amtrak passenger trains around where I live. The main tracks in my area is the track that runs parallel to I-66 from the Virginia Inland Port near Front Royal, Virginia to the line shared between Amtrak and the Virginia Railway Express (VRE) in Manassas, VA.
Scania trucks are the best, but the Peterbilts are good too.
Road signs are just as important as the road itself.

World of Trucks Profile | ATS Screenshots | ETS2 Screenshots | Forum Rules

J. Ritter

#6 Post by J. Ritter » 11 Sep 2018 19:47

That is a busy line! NS uses it a lot as a bypass around DC.

Blackspots

#7 Post by Blackspots » 11 Sep 2018 20:38

Why does it look like Norfolk Southern engines are always in poor shape and smoke alot?
Author: C2C Eastern New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas improvments
ETS2 Map Combo: PM, Scandinavian Addon, RusMap, SR, The Great Steppe, PJ Indo Map
ATS Map Combo: Coast to Coast, CanaDream, Tonopah Reworked, US Expansion, Viva Mexico

Centrino2
Global moderator

#8 Post by Centrino2 » 12 Sep 2018 03:42

oh no worries in a few days those engines will probably be underwater anyway :lol:

Time ta skip town, funny that North Carolina's hockey team is called the Hurricanes. Image

That would be a cool logo for a in game trucking company

marcon10

#9 Post by marcon10 » 12 Sep 2018 05:20

Awesome photos!
Ford F-150 Off Road Modification: Forged Wheels | Fabtech 2" Uniball UCA System Front DL 2.5 Coilovers & Rear DL 2.25 Shocks | Toyo Open Country

J. Ritter

#10 Post by J. Ritter » 12 Sep 2018 12:41

ShirBlackspots wrote:
11 Sep 2018 20:38
Why does it look like Norfolk Southern engines are always in poor shape and smoke alot?
Haha, I think it's the color. You see some of them smoking, for sure, but a lot of them do that. Compared to CSX, NS runs a pretty tight ship. Of course out there in Texas you are probably used to BNSF, and every railroader I've talked to says their locos are Cadillacs Peterbilts.
Centrino2 wrote:
12 Sep 2018 03:42
Time ta skip town, funny that North Carolina's hockey team is called the Hurricanes.
LOL. That's funny and I have not thought of that. Here in Charlotte we are mostly just getting a lot of rain. Gotta make sure to put my plants out on the deck, hahaha.
marcon10 wrote:
12 Sep 2018 05:20
Awesome photos!
Thank you! I've been doing it for years, but I feel I've really "clicked" with the camera over the last year or so.

Return to “Off topic and other voices”