Railfanning

BK Vissers
Global moderator

Re: Railfanning

#41 Post by BK Vissers » 22 Jul 2019 11:22

I had no idea a Big Boy survived! How amazing!

TruckerDog
SCS Software

#42 Post by TruckerDog » 23 Jul 2019 09:16

I was watching some videos and pictures of how big the crowd was to see the surviving Big Boy returning to service. It was pretty amazing!

Here's a nice video but with less of a crowd on more interesting places to watch the train go past by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RNh6q4y3UY
I like trains. 🚂

...and trucks too. 🚛

Titan

#43 Post by Titan » 23 Jul 2019 14:11

BK Vissers wrote:
22 Jul 2019 11:22
I had no idea a Big Boy survived! How amazing!
They(Union Pacific) restored and rebuilt it. Converted it to oil firing, custom machined parts for it, etc. 4014 is also the only one that actually runs, the rest are cosmetic, scrapped, or have been cannibalized for parts. I hope it comes to Houston at some point. Diesels are cool. but there really is nothing like a steam enginge, especially the Big Boys. I've heard next that 3985 will be restored, and then they'll have all 3 of their most famous steam locomotives in working order.

Some trivia for you BK - In it's heyday, this thing was capable of speeds up to 80 mph. Despite weighing 1,250,000 lbs. Which to me is quite frankly nuts.
Just a Texas boy who used to want to be a trucker, and a love of Big Rigs... but now ATS has turned said love into an obsession.

i7-7700HQ @2.80GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050

Some newbie driver

#44 Post by Some newbie driver » 23 Jul 2019 16:35

Well Titan, it can be said that those locomotive could reach 80mph DUE they 1,250,00lbs weight. Locomotives need to weight a lot to have enough adherence on the rails, otherwise they cannot have enough traction to pull heavy loads neither to gain high speeds. Modern locomotives use advanced electronic regulations on the motors to gain more adherence, also very advanced suspension geometries, but on the steam era that doesn't exist and they have to rely on its weight (that the design of the locomotive has to spread appropriately between the driven axles).

Anyways, it's always a pleasure to see such a piece of old engineering well restored and ready to go. The people responsible of that project must be proud of their work. :)

Regards

Titan

#45 Post by Titan » 23 Jul 2019 17:09

So it never actually hit 80 mph?

I've always wondered if that was actually possible due to the weight.
Just a Texas boy who used to want to be a trucker, and a love of Big Rigs... but now ATS has turned said love into an obsession.

i7-7700HQ @2.80GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050

Some newbie driver

#46 Post by Some newbie driver » 23 Jul 2019 19:18

No no, maybe I explained me wrong

You said: "...this thing was capable of speeds up to 80 mph. DESPITE weighing 1,250,000 lbs..."

And what I meant was "...this thing was capable of speeds up to 80 mph (PARTIALLY) THANKS TO weighing 1,250,000 lbs..."

An hypothetic steam locomotive that had got the same HP than the BB but a lot less weight wouldn't have never achieved the speeds that the BB achieved; wouldn't have got enough traction to use all those HP. With modern locomotives engineers have found lots of other ways to improve traction (but it's not easy, isn't strange than newer locomotives traction worse than others 30 years older). But on the steam times that was all about weight (and a proper distribution between the driven axles).

Regards

Titan

#47 Post by Titan » 23 Jul 2019 21:10

Ah

i7-7700HQ @2.80GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050

rbsanford

#48 Post by rbsanford » 23 Jul 2019 22:29

Regardless, something that huge and heavy clocking at 80 mph is still amazing. That would really be something to see, but I think you'd have to go to Wyoming to see it.
The journeys of Zephyr of the American West: Volume One, Two, Three, Four.

Handy maps and diagrams.

Blackspots

#49 Post by Blackspots » 24 Jul 2019 02:57

BTW, I think Federal speed regulations have a part in why 4014 and 844 never reached their top speeds (80 and 110MPH respectively), the top allowed speed is 75MPH (and 35MPH in the cities). Its why high speed trains like what they have in Japan will always be a pipe dream here in the US.

4014 spent the last 50+ years in California with some enthusiasts keeping it lubed hoping it would be restored one day. Its one reason why UP chose it, because it was in the best condition of all the ones that are still around.
Now we wait for UP to finish 3985's maintenance (Federal Regs require steam engines be taken out of service every 1400 days to be given the once over).

There's an engine in Albuquerque being restored by some fans for the last 10 or so years, and they're upgrading the brake system on that one (also a 4-8-8-4 like 4014) so that it can be remotely controlled.
Author: C2C Eastern New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas improvments
ETS2 Map Combo: PM, Scandinavian Addon, RusMap, SR, The Great Steppe, PJ Indo Map
ATS Map Combo: Coast to Coast, CanaDream, Tonopah Reworked, US Expansion, Viva Mexico

Some newbie driver

#50 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 Jul 2019 08:29

Well @ShirBlackspots, speed limits on railway are what they are tied to the kind of infrastructure there are. On Spain the regular max speed limit is 160km/h, that also doesn't allow a modern high speed commercial train. They had to construct newer specific lines where the max speed was allowed to be higher. So I don't think that the actual max speed limit in USA is the problem.

Anyways, I've never been a big fan of those very high speed trains: mostly because those specific infrastructures they need. A proper modernized regular railway line are enough to drive regular locomotives with large Talgo convoys at 200km/h; that's more than enough to give a good fast passengers service for a fraction of the cost of high speed lines. Several successful test were done 30 years ago here, they even completely overhauled 4 locomotives to create a new series able to do it that still hold their record of 241km/h on regular line on Spain (yep, 241km/h on a normal railway line, non specially prepared, towing normal passengers loaded coaches; Talgo's magic). But the tests were continuously ignored by authorities. Unfortunately, lots of the people are so stupid hat on elections don't remember who gave them good, reliable low-cost services, they remember only big Pharaonic constructions that allure them. An that's convenient for politicians, big constructions are where they can gain big money in illegal commissions. So, it's a vicious circle. :(

Return to “Off topic and other voices”