Railfanning

TruckerDog
SCS Software

Re: Railfanning

#61 Post by TruckerDog » 09 Aug 2019 09:54

Titan wrote:
08 Aug 2019 23:13
There's not a free trainsim out there is there? I'd love to have one, but the cost is the thing keeping me from playing them.
There's Open Rails which uses MSTS content. You do not require to have MSTS and most content for this simulator is freeware. :)

Although if you are mainly into US trains, I would recommend to invest on Run 8. Yes, it is expensive when you think of all the things you can buy from them but honestly the simulator is really nice and it offers a really interesting gameplay. Have a look here.
I like trains. 🚂

...and trucks too. 🚛

BK Vissers
Global moderator

#62 Post by BK Vissers » 09 Aug 2019 11:48

Sorry to derail Ranaldo’s thread here, but since rail sims came up I was wondering, how does TSW compare to Run8?

TruckerDog
SCS Software

#63 Post by TruckerDog » 09 Aug 2019 11:58

Well, lets put it this way, BK Vissers:

TSW = good looking graphics, not so good simulation realism, more like arcade gameplay. Pre-set scenarios, you can't really personalize anything at the moment. The only possibility you have as in terms of gameplay is to drive the train, travel as passenger or just watch trains go by. You cannot control trains as a dispatcher.

Run 8 = Graphics are similar to MSTS from 2001, excellent simulation realism, great realistic gameplay and train physics, possibility to also play as a dispatcher ( controlling signals and junctions ), possibility to work on big freight yards including humping operations, has multiplayer, you can also do some railfanning in-game. You can create your own train and leave the AI drivers take the train till wherever you want it to go. There's so many more things to it... :)

Hopefully this gives you an idea of how does it compare.
I like trains. 🚂

...and trucks too. 🚛

BK Vissers
Global moderator

#64 Post by BK Vissers » 09 Aug 2019 12:02

Oh wow, you’re saying graphics are almost 20 years old in Run 8!

TruckerDog
SCS Software

#65 Post by TruckerDog » 09 Aug 2019 12:07

I mean, have a look at recent videos and you'll get the idea! :D Personally, graphics to me do not mean everything for a simulator. ;) I'm mostly after the gameplay and realism. That's why I also enjoy TS 2019 quite a lot, because it is a simulation that has both graphics and gameplay kinda equalised.
I like trains. 🚂

...and trucks too. 🚛

J. Ritter

#66 Post by J. Ritter » 09 Aug 2019 12:44

No worries about the thread, haha. I'm glad I got people talking about trains!

I have been thinking about getting Run 8 for the realism. Back in MSTS days I belonged to a VRR (Cascade & Northwestern, it was great!) that modified a lot of the equipment to properly represent the physics, and the scenarios were great. I haven't been able to find that spark since then as far as train sims go.

I really need to get out and railfan soon, too!
(The Artist Formerly Known as Ranaldo20)
Other Tales- NEW! July 5th -TJ Doing What He Does

BK Vissers
Global moderator

#67 Post by BK Vissers » 09 Aug 2019 12:55

Back in the early 90’s train simulators were a niche product and very few were available to the public. My how simple those seemed compared to these.

J. Ritter

#68 Post by J. Ritter » 09 Aug 2019 13:04

For sure. I remember when MSTS dropped, the locomotive's front coupler didn't even work. How in the heck are you supposed to switch and do runaround maneuvers without a front coupler? Hahaha. That's why I liked CNW so much. They fixed a lot of that, had a real engineer consult them on how trains handled and helped fix the physics, and worked in the scenarios in a realistic way. I actually felt like I was working for a real railroad. I think that was a big influence on how I play ATS, actually. Well, that, and the fact that I've always been heavy on roleplaying with most of my games.
(The Artist Formerly Known as Ranaldo20)
Other Tales- NEW! July 5th -TJ Doing What He Does

TruckerDog
SCS Software

#69 Post by TruckerDog » 09 Aug 2019 20:31

Ranaldo, I say go for it! Run 8 is very worth having. :) I love driving on multiplayer through The Depot servers. Last times I was playing I was mostly learning and driving local freight services. Yes, you actually get freight wagon tags and industries where they need a certain type of cargo or where they're producing something else. It really has a lot into it!

Here's a shot I took of some mixed freight train. It is quite fun to break these freight trains and sort the wagons after! :D

I like trains. 🚂

...and trucks too. 🚛

BK Vissers
Global moderator

#70 Post by BK Vissers » 09 Aug 2019 21:57

How do you do multiplayer? What is the shared experience?

Return to “Off topic and other voices”