Railfanning

Titan

Re: Railfanning

#71 Post by Titan » 09 Aug 2019 22:05

Damn, not cheap.

Looks really nice though.
Just a Texas boy who used to want to be a trucker, and a love of Big Rigs... but now ATS has turned said love into an obsession.

i7-7700HQ @2.80GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050

Dogbert

#72 Post by Dogbert » 09 Aug 2019 22:41

Truckerdog,

nothing against US or EU content for the train games, but i prefer what i know about.

Same as you buddy, started with MSTS in 2001 and then Trainz at the end of that year.

OR is an excellent concept, but i wish they could give the graphics a bit of a spruce up.

Graphics quality isn't everything, but good realism helps to increase the immersion factor.

Cheers,
Mike.

TruckerDog
SCS Software

#73 Post by TruckerDog » 10 Aug 2019 07:28

BK Vissers wrote:
09 Aug 2019 21:57
How do you do multiplayer? What is the shared experience?
It is amazing! As I mentioned earlier, last time I was playing I was mostly working with locals. Basically what I did was to deliver wagons to local industries and pickup other wagons from the industries and bring them back to the yards.
Then most of the times there's also somebody else working in the yards to organize the wagons according to the destination tags and eventually there will also be someone else who will take a more powerful locomotive set to couple up to all of those wagons and take them to their next destination. :)

You can do this all by yourself but I can assure you it is awesome to do it with others. :)
I like trains. 🚂

...and trucks too. 🚛

BK Vissers
Global moderator

#74 Post by BK Vissers » 10 Aug 2019 10:49

Yes, I would imagine - doing things collaboratively is more fun than in isolation. It’s something I hope will be possible in ATS/ETS2 one day.

bobgrey1997

#75 Post by bobgrey1997 » 15 Nov 2019 21:57

Union Pacific's 4014 "Big Boy" steam train came through Central Arkansas over the past few days, and a friend and I chased it a bit:
We even got to touch it! (I'm the one on the left: in the skirt)
ImageImage

BMUniverse

#76 Post by BMUniverse » 17 Nov 2019 02:40

Why would you touch a old steam train? Now it has dirty fingerprints on it!
ImageImage

bobgrey1997

#77 Post by bobgrey1997 » 17 Nov 2019 03:38

Oh, the train fought back (you should have seen the ends of our fingers; covered in that black-yellow oil that beam is covered in)!
As for "why", why not? It was fun! Not every day you get to see one of the rarest trains (and as far as I know, the largest), let alone able to go up and poke it!
ImageImage

12engine

#78 Post by 12engine » 15 Apr 2020 21:54

I've been a railfan for as long as I can remember. I live along the Northeast Corridor, so I can watch Amtrak all the time. Every year I take the train out to the midwest (the last few years to Kansas City by way of Chicago) to railfan out there. Last year I got to take a tour of BNSF's Topeka shops and Argentine (KC) yard, that was pretty sweet.
I'll have to post some pics later.

J. Ritter

#79 Post by J. Ritter » 15 Apr 2020 22:29

Oh how I've neglected this thread! I can't wait to go railfanning once we're on the other side of this.
Please post your pics, those are some cool spots I've always wanted to check out.
(The Artist Formerly Known as Ranaldo20)
Other Tales- NEW! July 5th -TJ Doing What He Does

The Old Fart

#80 Post by The Old Fart » 15 Apr 2020 22:58

Damn, I can't believe I just found this thread here :) I've been a railfan forever. I've lost track of developments in modern railroad gaming as I still play Railroad Tycoon 2 and never found anything similar for years and gave up looking. Anyone with a lead on a new and similar option please chime in.

I also remember the Wakefield steam train with fondness, managed to ride it a few times and enjoyed it immensely (was a good excuse to visit my sister who lives in that neighborhood). I was also fortunate to live in St. Hilaire - just South East of Montreal - when I was young. At the bottom of the mountain ran the freight line, about a half mile from our place. Spent lots of time sitting there watching the very very long freights go by. Always impressed me.

Back in 1990. when I moved to Toronto for work (in a building next to the CN tower) I managed to wangle myself an office overlooking the old yards, complete with the old turntable. I still think that was a better view than the CN tower. Unfortunately that all went when they expanded the convention centre.
Old Fart Trucking - I haul ass, and everything else!

Return to “Off topic and other voices”