Railfanning

Some newbie driver

Re: Railfanning

#81 Post by Some newbie driver » 15 Apr 2020 23:06

@The Old Fart if you like to play with Railroad Tycoon 2; I suppose you would like to play Open TTD; that it's a similar concept but with all kind of transport means. The game is completely free and can run in a toaster.

I remenber to have played a very good mod that completely overhaul the stuuf and industries part for something very realistic, with tons of options and links between industries so everyone depends on the stuff made from others. Ahhhh, if only SCS did some changes in that way in their games!

The Old Fart

#82 Post by The Old Fart » 15 Apr 2020 23:13

Thanks @Some newbie driver, I'll check that out. I've run across Open TTD before but was not aware it had a mod which overhauled the industries as you noted.

Yep, it would indeed be nice if SCS evolved made changes which moved ATS / ETS2 in that direction, a more realistic industry simulation. Hell, I'd pay to buy a 'version' of either game which did that!
Old Fart Trucking - I haul ass, and everything else!

Some newbie driver

#83 Post by Some newbie driver » 15 Apr 2020 23:23

I searched a bit more and found the NewGRF (mod) of OTTD that I played. It's called ECS Vectors and have several independent blocks that you can combine as you wish.

Here's the main webpage http://george.zernebok.net/newgrf/downloads.html and it's wiki https://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/ECS_Vectors

Don't know if after so many years something better has appeared of that kind of mods.

And you are right, a change of that kind for the whole games, with the potential and extension of SCS maps, would be something worth to pay for because it will make the game a lot more sim and immersive.

Regards

J. Ritter

#84 Post by J. Ritter » 15 Apr 2020 23:27

I have played SO MANY HOURS of Railroad Tycoon 2. Best in the series, in my opinion. The others got too cartoony afterward. I've always wanted to get into Open TTD, but I always have too many irons on the fire, haha.
(The Artist Formerly Known as Ranaldo20)
Other Tales- NEW! July 5th -TJ Doing What He Does

12engine

#85 Post by 12engine » 16 Apr 2020 00:02

I'll have more eventually, but here's a few that I picked out real quick

West Bottoms
West Bottoms, area of State Line Jct (literally on the state line)

Topeka deadline (off SE Bates Rd)

Topeka shops

Topeka shops

Some newbie driver

#86 Post by Some newbie driver » 16 Apr 2020 08:51

I think I could find a conventional truck with a hood big enough to fit one of those engines. :lol:

Nice pictures and that last two not so usual to see that kind of details. ;)

PS: @J. Ritter I warn you, I had to stop playing OpenTTD because I couldn't reduce more the sleep,eating and toilet times. :lol: I decline any responsibility on your productive and personal life loses. :P

The Old Fart

#87 Post by The Old Fart » 16 Apr 2020 12:32

@Some newbie driver, Thanks for the links, I will certainly try that out!

As an aside - have you ever had a look at "Workers and Resources - Soviet Republics" ? I just picked that up - it looks to be a rather amazing 'building' game. Seems to have an active modding community as well.

CHeers
Old Fart Trucking - I haul ass, and everything else!

J. Ritter

#88 Post by J. Ritter » 16 Apr 2020 15:08

Cool shot of those prime movers, and cool shots in general! I once took a trip to Topeka, drove up from Alabama. I hated that I didn't have time to railfan there or in KC. The bottoms looked so interesting when I was going over the bridges into Kansas.
(The Artist Formerly Known as Ranaldo20)
Other Tales- NEW! July 5th -TJ Doing What He Does

12engine

#89 Post by 12engine » 17 Apr 2020 21:26

Thanks. Theres one shot I have on my phone, looking down at a piston assembly next to my boot, and the piston head itself is the same size as my boot. I'll have to find it.

The Bottoms are a great spot to kill an afternoon (ask me how I know lol). It's very busy.
Last edited by supersobes on 17 Apr 2020 22:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quote [Forum rule 2.12]

Return to “Off topic and other voices”