When a single coder does better than a whole corporate funded team

Centrino2
Global moderator

When a single coder does better than a whole corporate funded team

#1 Post by Centrino2 » 16 Jun 2019 09:32

By single coder I mean the guy that made the engine that the fan games are running on, yes there's a few bugs but so far it looks a lot better than what Sonic Team has made, and supposedly this guy never went to college. I wonder what's up with Sonic team these days, uninspired? suppressed? lack of vision? rushed?....again (thinking about last two game they made... last one was extremely short)

I myself got ideas for the blue.... well mostly the black blur, mixing in some fast paced combat along with the high speed gameplay, such so if the player is using a combination of different moves effectively... rather than smashing A (or X) all the time, they can clear out hordes and tough enemies within 20 seconds or less... but I look at their previous games and I wonder if that is the really the right way to go...

As for the Infinity engine doesn't seem to be that much more demanding than what is out today... but ya never know until you run it.

BMUniverse

Re: When a single coder does better than a whole corporate funded team

#2 Post by BMUniverse » 30 Jun 2019 18:28

Infinity engine is just a heavily modded version of Unreal Engine 4 and a small bit of Source 2 textures.
ImageImage

Centrino2
Global moderator

#3 Post by Centrino2 » 02 Jul 2019 09:07

Well, super interesting take on the blue blur stages, a lot more open, not corridor like, not full on race track, pretty cool... gotta miss the old Adventure days... granted though the path to move forward needs to be more clear with these stages... and of course several parts need some professional polishing.

Sonic Team should've been exploring more interesting stage design... not whatever the last two games were... especially Lost World, I would rather play 06 than that game... even though Lost World worked properly.

BMUniverse

#4 Post by BMUniverse » 13 Jul 2019 02:31

Its not Unreal Engine 4, but a modified Unreal Engine 3 2011.
Source 2 could possibly be in it as well, but Valve only used it for card games like Dota 2.
Source has been pushed to its limits by an indie company run by the HL community. However since Source is pretty old (2004-2008) Valve now uses OrangeBox, an modified version of Source so that it could run its 2011-2014 games. Overall Orangebox will never match up with Source 2. Source 2 will never match up with UE3. Source 2 currently runs most of Valve's games in 2015-present but just cannot be just as like UE3.
Overall, i think the coder used UE3 to make Infinity.
If you want to see a bustling UE3 game there is one that is pretty popular due to its memes and cuteness.
Edit: 100 posts? Really?
Edit 2: I should think better, because Black Mesa runs on Orangebox, and its download size is 8.4 GB, so Infinity could be Orangebox.
Edit 3: Wait a second, is this coder Chinese? Looking at the logo, seeing some chinese letters.
ImageImage

Return to “Off topic and other voices”