Confused IRL Trucker

pradeepkanojia

Confused IRL Trucker

#1 Post by pradeepkanojia » 03 Mar 2020 06:03

To preface, I have enjoyed many truck sim gaming videos on you tube but it just adds to my confusion.

I need y'all to explain the appeal of a video game that seems to have as much expensive custom equipment as a real tractor, that is just a facsimile of the dream I get paid to live.

P.s. supremely jealous of the easy access you folks have to way nicer equipment than I get to run lol.

Larry71490

Re: Confused IRL Trucker

#2 Post by Larry71490 » 03 Mar 2020 15:45

I drive in real life. Gives me a way to unwind and try different setups.

Underscore_101_

#3 Post by Underscore_101_ » 03 Mar 2020 15:45

The appeal to me is that it's just a relaxing game, no goals, no achievements, no tedious crap.
Game wise I used to play a lot of shooters like MOH, COD and GTA, but for some reason it's mostly ets2 and ats nowadays (2000+ hours in ets2, ATS a lot less, but that is slowly going up)
I've been a real life trucker, not the really big rigs on long international routes (only been outside my home country a few times to Belgium and Germany in that regard)
but I have some sense of what it is irl.
The last time I drove a truck was like in 2007 or something.
And besides that I enjoy making mods for it which somewhat touches other real life hobbies.

Trucker_71

#4 Post by Trucker_71 » 03 Mar 2020 17:42

I drove trucks for 45 years until I retired 7 years ago, been in every state of the lower 48 and most of the Canadian provinces. For the last 20 of those years I disliked the job, but I love driving the trucks. Now I can relax and enjoy the look and sound of the trucks, add bling or not, and generally do stuff with trucks that I couldn't in real life. ;)

Ernie D

#5 Post by Ernie D » 06 Mar 2020 03:39

I drove for almost 16 yrs until 2009 when I decided to go back and finish my degree, since then Ive been a industrial machinist in the petrochemical industry. There are times I do still miss being on the road, the first couple of years was the hardest because I was so used to being alone in my truck. Ive been around truck sims since 18wos originally came out.
Since Ive gotten off the road, Ive used ATS and ETS2 to curb my want to go back driving, and get to annoy my wife with the sound of jakes from 6in straights on my home theater :lol: ;)
Proprietor/Painter of Southland Mods

Fae

#6 Post by Fae » 13 Mar 2020 22:58

I use ATS to practice safely various scenarios I dare not practice in real life. As a result, though, if I encounter such a parking scenario in real life I hope to be better prepared for it.

Out of the box, ATS/ETS2 are arcade games at best. But, with proper planning and setup, use of hardware addons, tweaking of configuration, etc., these games can be somewhat transformed into halfway useful training aids.
Fae
Driving Instructor, Truck Driver and Bus Driver - CDL Class A
Safety First! G.O.A.L.
Proud to be a Trucker Against Trafficking

Axe791

#7 Post by Axe791 » 06 Apr 2020 16:31

I'm not a truck driver but I hope to be one someday. For me personally, the game is relaxing. I enjoy the winding roads of Washington & the hectic highways of California. The scenery is one of a kind, just like real life, & I get to drive a vehicle that I hope to be behind the wheel of in the future. I used it to learn how to drive, to learn signs & it's probably the reason why I passed my drivers test. I've spent hours & hours on it, & I'm not tired of it. It's shown me a taste of what a truck driver does, & doesn't make it strenuous. I wish I could be driving an actual truck instead of sitting at my desk on a screen, but I'm grateful for what I've got. =)
“ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴀʀᴇ ᴛᴡᴏ ᴛʜɪɴɢꜱ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴍᴇɴ ꜱʜᴏᴜʟᴅ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴡᴇᴀʀʏ ᴏꜰ, ɢᴏᴏᴅɴᴇꜱꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴜᴍɪʟɪᴛʏ; ᴡᴇ ɢᴇᴛ ɴᴏɴᴇ ᴛᴏᴏ ᴍᴜᴄʜ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇᴍ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪꜱ ʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ᴀᴍᴏɴɢ ᴄᴏʟᴅ, ᴘʀᴏᴜᴅ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ.”
Robert Louis Stevenson, Kidnapped

Kenworth Gal

#8 Post by Kenworth Gal » 06 Apr 2020 20:38

I am disabled and homebound. Truck simming lets me pretend I serve a purpose in life. lol

I'm also learning a lot about how to make real truckers' lives easier when I am driving around them. I love learning.

I do aeroplane simulation as well. I guess I closet want to be a transport professional.

flight50

#9 Post by flight50 » 06 Apr 2020 22:45

@pradeepkanojia. I am no trucker myself but a hardcore fan of big rig. I been a fan since I was a 3rd grader in 1988. I never got to be a trucker based on the path I chose but I never lost the fire for them. I found this game in June of 2016 and have been hooked every since. I love this game to pieces. I don't play as often as I once did but that is mainly so I don't get burned out but I buy all the content SCS has. I mainly get all my driving time in on the weekends. I am actually on this forum way more than I drive. But just like everyone else has stated, this game is freakin' relaxing. Relaxing to the point that I literally fall asleep at the wheel, lol. That turbo spooling and the way that motor roars does me in a lot, lol.

I invested roughly 1.3K-1.4K perhaps specifically for this game. Not at once though. But I don't regret anything. I don't have a lot of space but I am very content with what I have. Gives me all the immersion I can ask for. Thustmaster T300 RS GT wheel, Th8A shifter, Mega Shifter, ASP controller, trackIR, gaming chair and new 1080gtx. Oh and my ATS hat shipped from SCS, lol. I use it for my trackIR.
Underscore_101_ wrote:
03 Mar 2020 15:45
The appeal to me is that it's just a relaxing game, no goals, no achievements, no tedious crap.
Goals - the game doesn't end but there are goals....to deliver and get paid
Achievements - there are Steam achievements

Underscore_101_

#10 Post by Underscore_101_ » 07 Apr 2020 03:08

@flight50
I suppose you're right in saying getting stuff delivered is a goal, but it's the only one and when playing sensibly and not like gta5 it's not frustrating, you don't get three lives to try and every time you die you have to start from the beginning again, or have to search for "life" boxes and ammo to survive :-)
Steam achievements are not a must to play the game, they're just extras, personally don't care much for them, I can see the appeal and every now and then when I achieve one un-expectedly i'm like " ohw nice" but in the end it's not a necessity to enjoy the game, at least not for me.

Return to “Off topic and other voices”