HOME OFFICE: Dear SCS....

Rhythmosaur

HOME OFFICE: Dear SCS....

#1 Post by Rhythmosaur » 25 Apr 2020 23:07

Dear folks from SCS,

in a German news commentary, it has been said that "home office and kids is like brushing your teeth with Nutella" *. And she's right...

All the more remarkable is what you guys still come up with in these difficult times. I for one couldn't tell a difference in your performance. Great job, guys, keep it up, but in my view, your and your employees' health comes first. I don't just mean Corona, I also mean stress levels and mental sanity. There is a reason why domestic violence is on the rise since Corona.

Your employees are a valuable resource (apart from equally valuable human beings), so be easy on them with deadlines and workload. Some "fans" will surely act up because everything takes "sooo long", but damn it, the mainstay of your paying customers will understand.

All the Best from Johannes "The Rhythmosaur" König ;-)

Underscore_101_

Re: HOME OFFICE: Dear SCS....

#2 Post by Underscore_101_ » 26 Apr 2020 00:08

They'd make their life a lot easier if they quit working on this fmod nonsense.

xXCARL1992Xx

#3 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 26 Apr 2020 07:25

no, they wouldnt, this was the whole point of it, to stop recording twice the sounds and let the engine convert them, just because you cant use FMod, doesnt mean they cant do it, if they have it right they can create sounds you can just dream of (Forza Motorsport 3 to 7 and Horizon 1 to 4 are one example)
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

Underscore_101_

#4 Post by Underscore_101_ » 26 Apr 2020 16:47

hmzz, the sound was great to begin with, there was no need for fmod, and to be frank, fmod has been in beta for idk how many months, followed by a 2 month public beta and it still sounds crap in ats.

I actually have many of the games you mention on xbox, none of them rattle my ears, if I want good sounds i'll listen to Pink Floyd

Some newbie driver

#5 Post by Some newbie driver » 27 Apr 2020 13:52

Let us know the day you made a truck whose engine sounds like "The Wall"

Rhythmosaur

#6 Post by Rhythmosaur » 27 Apr 2020 19:52

My fingers are indeed itching to add my two cents to that discussion, because a change to sound is what I have been desperately waiting for for years. I'm just not the guy who keeps riding the same point over and over again after he made it known. About what we got so far, I have radically mixed emotions, like thrilled and disappointed.

But first, I did not intend to open that casket (or shall I say, box of Pandora) in this post here, and second, I think it wiser to wait until ETS2 1.37 goes life, before I raise my voice about it.

I am known to be forgiving, pro SCS, trying to calm the waves and look at things objectively. I want to criticize in a constructive fashion, because I really wanna see these guys and guyesses succeed. And although I would not use such generalized and rude tone like someone else in this thread, there is a chance that this time I will say things that are not a pleasure to read for SCS.

You see, not so newbie driver any more, even when you can't create a good engine soundset on your own for lack of the knowledge how it's done, you have a frame of reference when you see, pardon me, hear, what people like Kriechbaum or Robinicus put together in very short time as well as over the years. "So use their soundsets, problem solved". No! I want SCS on the same level or better, because they are supposed to be the masters. And I simply refuse to think they are just not good enough to come up with the same quality when they expend money on sound recording sessions in the US and elsewhere with professional equipment.

But enough, I am already further in it than I wanted.

To be clear about this, this does NOT conflict with my message above. I happily wait for a few months longer for a real good result rather than get something that was rushed and done by developers with their nerves on edge for being locked in their house with nagging wife, messing kids and carpet-pooping dog, and no way to retreat and recharge the mental batteries.
Last edited by Rhythmosaur on 27 Apr 2020 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
Hire Kriechbaum!, please!

Underscore_101_

#7 Post by Underscore_101_ » 27 Apr 2020 19:58

Lol, but what I meant is that I don't play the game to enjoy the birds whistle, or a train passing by, it's nice they make some sound, but it doesn't add to me enjoying the game, that's why it's a trucking game, and the engine, exhaust and maybe most importantly,... when shifting gears some engines, I haven't played with all of them, but some still sound like I need to replace my gearbox, and that's after at least 3 months of beta and by now a week or so as 1.37, imho this should not have been a full release (apparently they're calling it a WIP now), in fact, the way the sounds are, it should be in public beta now, not 2 months ago.

@xXCARL1992Xx It's not me that can't use fmod, it's scs that struggles with getting it right, for a way too long time.

Rhythmosaur

#8 Post by Rhythmosaur » 27 Apr 2020 20:14

I am with you about the truck sounds. Some have actually become worse than they were; again, at this point I'm not yet going into details. However, there's a bunch of things that I think they really improved by using FMOD, so it turns my stomach when you seem to say, they shouldn't waste time with FMOD, it's "crap". When you use 3rd party soundsets - and I've tried quite a few and I am thrilled! - you can actually appreciate what FMOD does to this Simulation. That effort of SCS of giving modders that opportunity is worth appreciation!

If, and again , IF, they got anything else wrong, they still gave us the platform, framework, codework, the basis to really enhance the sound.

Oh, and just by the way, they actually did that FOR FREE.
Last edited by Rhythmosaur on 27 Apr 2020 20:49, edited 2 times in total.

xXCARL1992Xx

#9 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 27 Apr 2020 20:22

it is just a matter of mixing, the sound are all the same (well, the air horns seam to be new and sound better then the old ones) and they cant just do this from one day to the other, they also have to learn how to use FMod and i bet they are still in constant contact with the FMod developers for help on how to do what

i myself converted 2 sounds from 1.36 to FMod and the possibilities are enorm, FMod can more then OpenAL will ever hope to do, they just need training, and maybe also better sound samples, especially more quality ones, 5 are not enough to go from 0 to 3000rpm and have it sound "natural" (and to many are also garbage like EVR does for every 106rpm difference, srsly 25 samples to go from 0 to 3000 :roll: )
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |

Rhythmosaur

#10 Post by Rhythmosaur » 27 Apr 2020 20:33

@xXCARL1992Xx
Since you have the experience already: Is it really hard to blend one file into another seamlessly as the RPM rises or falls, is it hard to match "under load" and "foot off the pedal" sounds to the same pitch? With the shining exception of their latest Scania sounds, I always have found them lacking there since way back, and it confuses me to no end, because with a "linear" (I know, frequency wise it's actually exponential) pitch to rpm relation you don't need to watch the rpm gauge to shift properly, you simply hear it, but with jumps, gaps and bruises, you get confused where you're at.

Return to “Off topic and other voices”