2 questions for professional truckers about manouvering.

akima

2 questions for professional truckers about manouvering.

#1 Post by akima » 29 Apr 2020 18:51

Question 1: Do you sometimes get out of the truck when manouvering in order to check distances and check for hidden objects that could damage the truck/trailer?

Question 2: If the visibility is very poor (e.g. because it's night time), would you sometimes wait until visibility improves before tackling a complicated road or backing up to make your delivery / pickup?

Playing ATS has made me wonder those things. I kinda do both in game (I use third person camera instead of getting out the truck).

supersobes
Global moderator

Re: 2 questions for professional truckers about manouvering.

#2 Post by supersobes » 29 Apr 2020 18:59

I'm not a professional truck driver, but I can answer your first question for you. Truck driving schools and trucking companies have a concept that they teach drivers called "GOAL." That stands for "Get Out And Look." It's designed to remind drivers that if they are maneuvering in a tricky situation, they should get out of the truck and look around the truck. Some trucking companies in the United States have even gone as far as to put the letters "GOAL" on the mirrors of their trucks.

overfloater

#3 Post by overfloater » 29 Apr 2020 20:37

akima wrote:
29 Apr 2020 18:51
Do you sometimes get out of the truck when manouvering in order to check distances and check for hidden objects that could damage the truck/trailer?
Of course. If you're uncertain, you don't go. That's how accidents happen. They made a strong point about that during my driving courses.
But a more convenient thing is to have someone guide you, so you don't have to g.o.a.l. after moving 1 meter at a time. That's a luxury that team drivers can afford.
When someone guides you, it means he's standing in a position where you see him, and he sees past your blind spot. So if you're about to smash into something, he can signal you to stop.

in the game, i stop the truck before switching to the external camera, to simulate "getting out and looking". :lol:

akima

#4 Post by akima » 29 Apr 2020 21:04

Thanks for the comments, you two.
overfloater wrote:
29 Apr 2020 20:37
in the game, i stop the truck before switching to the external camera, to simulate "getting out and looking". :lol:
I do similar things. It's all good ;)

It's all about creating a fun & relaxing experience right?

Larry71490

#5 Post by Larry71490 » 30 Apr 2020 14:16

1. Rather get out and look versus waiting to hear a crunch.

2. No point in waiting.

Return to “Off topic and other voices”