17%
Two lanes going each direction
83%

Total votes: 6

supersobes
Global moderator

How many lanes are in this interchange?

#1 Post by supersobes » 12 May 2020 01:36

There's one particular interchange in the Interstate system that really bugs my OCD, and to be honest, I find it confusing how many lanes are actually supposed to be here. This would be the interchange between I-80, I-90, & I-94 in Gary, Indiana. This interchange consists of a 3-way stack interchange on the North side and a trumpet interchange on the South side. There is a really short section of road that connects the two interchanges. At each end of this section of road, it splits into the ramps the make up the interchanges. The weird thing about this stretch of road is that there are no road markings. There is no designation of where exactly to drive or where you should "merge" or if you should even merge at all when these ramps join this road segment. This is what it looks like from the ground. How many lanes are actually here? Going by the markings, there is one lane going each direction. Going by how the ramps merge and how the signs make it appear, there are two lanes going each direction. What do you think?

TwinShadow

Re: How many lanes are in this interchange?

#2 Post by TwinShadow » 14 May 2020 01:47

North bound has two lanes, southbound actually ends up getting three lanes. Looking at the street view, it's wide enough to fit three vehicles side by side.

Though, why that stretch doesn't have markings for years is beyond me...
No longer actively posting on these forums. And no, don't PM unless I happen to know you.

supersobes
Global moderator

#3 Post by supersobes » 14 May 2020 02:57

@TwinShadow That's an interesting perspective. So if Southbound has three lanes, would you say that two of the lanes go to I-94/I-80 West, and one of them goes to I-90 East. So the marking-less lanes continue down the ramp to the IN-51 exit? It's kind of hard to tell really. Like you say, it's just bizarre that this is left without pavement markings for years.

TwinShadow

#4 Post by TwinShadow » 14 May 2020 03:56

If you look, one lane goes to I-94 east, two start in the direction and split once more, one for I-94 west, and the last go to Ripley St. That's how I'm seeing it currently when comparing street view to overhead.
No longer actively posting on these forums. And no, don't PM unless I happen to know you.

Some newbie driver

#5 Post by Some newbie driver » 14 May 2020 18:45

Indian stile country roads: there's as many lanes as vehicles you can fit plus one more, for the extra thrill. :mrgreen:

abasstreppas
Location: On an island outside another island, outside another island...

#6 Post by abasstreppas » 14 May 2020 18:47

Hahaha :lol:

supersobes
Global moderator

#7 Post by supersobes » 14 May 2020 19:36

@Some newbie driver This is Indiana, not India. Any road striping and road markings here should be in compliance with Chapter 3B of the Indiana MUTCD.

Some newbie driver

#8 Post by Some newbie driver » 14 May 2020 19:46

I know I know, it was a joke. :P

And we all know that if everything will be compliant every time with every laws, we would live in a sad gray world.

Somebody some time ordered a change in the pavement, other one ordered it to be painted, there was not the appropriate orders, communication or money and then somebody decided: "Know what? May drivers do care a bit who they have on their sides!". (end of dramatization)

In fact, I'm surprised how many roads and streets in ETS2 have that same lack of markings in several places. I understand it on secondary or tertiary roads; but those aren't the ones depicted mostly in the game. And as I don't think SCS mislead them or didn't do a proper research on those zones; i suppose there would be pretty close to reality. There's lots of places in Spain that lack proper marking, but usually due lack of long term maintenance. Your image and the examples I find in ETS seems depict more a question of nobody caring to have the painted signals done.

Return to “Off topic and other voices”