ATS IRL Map

Bedavd

Re: ATS IRL Map

#21 Post by Bedavd » 03 Apr 2021 15:49

@festmache Thanks so much! I think I started on this a little under a year ago now, but I find it genuinely fun to work on, particularly when new maps come out!

I was considering doing one for ETS2, but someone else has started one! viewtopic.php?f=41&t=296138
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
flight50

#22 Post by flight50 » 19 May 2021 23:44

I have always just followed your link in your signature to get the updated map. I didn't realize there was a thread for this project. I just subscribed though. Sorry it took so long to get here, lol. I don't browse this part of the forum really. I hope you really like this project. Its freakin cool but very time consuming I bet. I hope you can keep it going til the end...this takes a lot of dedication and time. I guess its much easier now since you are caught up but in the beginning, you had a lot to do. This is great though. There are a lot of times when I need to reference something or a company or city layout in the game and I actually have to jump in the game for like 30 seconds just to it. I can use this a lot more if you have all the companies in place. I like this a lot. Thanks for your dedication to this. Wyoming is around the corner to polish it up and then get ready for all the Texas and California locations. The two largest states in the lower 48. They are not only the 2 largest by area, but also they have the largest road networks. There will be companies and cities all over the place.

This map is kind of like the 2nd phase of ads678's fan-made concept map. He guesses the roads and adjust them once the dlc is released. You make the roads as they are presented in the blogs which makes it pretty fun to nail down as many pic locations as possible. Its fun trying to find locations but for me, since I suck, it can be a tad frustrating, lol. I'm slowing learning to look for as many clues as I can. Texas is a beast though. Its way to large and take a lot of time if the screen shots are all over the place. It helps if you know the biomes to narrow down areas with any of this stuff.
Bedavd

#23 Post by Bedavd » 20 May 2021 03:48

@flight50 Yeah it can actually be a lot of fun to work on. Sometimes I need an idle thing to do when I'm listening to a podcast or something and it fits the bill pretty well. Glad you enjoy it! Unfortunately, I have less time these days, but being able to slowly add roads as they're confirmed will hopefully allow me to keep it updated pretty soon after releases! You also inspired me to add a link to the thread in my signature so people can come here and comment if they have any thoughts.

I really like blog photo hunting though! It's a pretty sweet feeling when you find the spot after a long search, and that's getting easier these days with SCS's increase in quality. Texas is really intimidating though because not only the size but the density is way higher, but I bet you'll be able to be more helpful there than you think! At least I really hope so because I know I'll need it :lol:
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
Reignman

#24 Post by Reignman » 09 Jul 2021 10:11

Bedavd wrote: 17 Mar 2021 03:05Enjoy! I hope some people find this useful and interesting!
Indeed. I still use it all the time. I didn't know there was a Las Vegas, New Mexico until I wanted to know what town that was at hwy 25/84, just east of Santa Fe xD. Not that there's actually a town there in game. And holy moly, I didn't even know about the company locations or photo entrances until just now lol. I didn't have the box checked. Yeah wow, that's nice. You're a mad man.

Before I had Colorado and Idaho I was using your map to get familiar with the roads/towns, and now I do that with Wyoming. I wish they would have done Montana before Texas so northern Idaho would be less painful, and to keep the map square. Once Texas is done there's going to be a whole lot of traveling through Tucumcari and Las Cruces.
Bedavd wrote: 20 May 2021 03:48Sometimes I need an idle thing to do when I'm listening to a podcast or something and it fits the bill pretty well.
So I'm not the only one? Some people prefer music, but I'd rather listen to people talk about something xD.
Bedavd

#25 Post by Bedavd » 14 Jul 2021 21:22

Yeah I keep the companies off by default because I feel that they really overclutter the map since it starts zoomed out. Also, for me when I'm in the editor it shows EVERY company location on the left layers screen since they're not all one uniform style. It just makes things slightly easier for me. :) Very glad to hear you're using the map so often though! The project started as just a thing for me but knowing others are getting use/enjoyment out of something I put so much time into is nice.

Driving and podcasts is actually how I got into ETS2. When I turned 16 I found that I REALLY enjoyed long drives listening to a podcast. It was just so relaxing to me and I often got to learn cool stuff while exploring a nearby town or something. I got ETS2 back in 2014, shortly after I turned 16, because I could explore Europe while listening to the same stuff and not using my own gas lol. It scratched the same itch and that's still what I use both ETS2 and ATS for now.
Reignman

#26 Post by Reignman » 09 Sep 2021 00:22

Bedavd wrote: 14 Jul 2021 21:22Very glad to hear you're using the map so often though! The project started as just a thing for me but knowing others are getting use/enjoyment out of something I put so much time into is nice.
Yeah I like to keep detailed logs of my routes and stuff, so your map has definitely made it easier to fill in the blanks than using google earth.

Speaking of which, I just started playing ETS2 last month and yowzers, the in game map over there has a painful lack of info. Worse than ATS. A lot of roads aren't even labeled, and a lot of scenery towns don't have in game signs. Except Romania where every single small town is labeled along the road, and you have to slow down to 50 for every one of them SMH. But anyway, that gets me to this ...
Bedavd wrote: 03 Apr 2021 15:49I was considering doing one for ETS2, but someone else has started one! viewtopic.php?f=41&t=296138
I was just coming to jokingly ask if you thought about doing a map for ETS2 lol. Because yeah, it's taking me longer to figure out my route than it does to make the actual delivery xD. Doesn't help that everything is a bit goofy over there, towns/roads etc. But alright, I better go take a look at his map too because that trip from Bergen to Oslo had me pulling my hair out xD.
Bedavd

#27 Post by Bedavd » 15 Sep 2021 01:45

Today I was finally able to make it to each town included in Wyoming and add their company locations and street layouts. The current map is completely updated as of Sept. 14, 2021.

[ external image ]
Tristman

#28 Post by Tristman » 26 Feb 2022 11:35

Just wanted to say I really enjoy using your map, especially for looking around upcoming DLC areas and the locations that have been identified from blogs.

I made a similar map over the years in Scribblemaps (even before I owned ATS lol), but I kinda regret not doing it in Google since I now would have to pay for a lot of features like uploading pictures/logos into the map.

Some of the older areas might be a bit rough in places, but I feel you about getting a lot of satisfaction from figuring out where everything is. I’ve also drawn a bunch of speculative roads in upcoming states with help from your map.

Anyway, cheers from one amateur map maker to another.
Bedavd

#29 Post by Bedavd » 26 Feb 2022 18:31

Hey thanks so much, I appreciate it! I put a good amount of time into the map (mostly when a DLC releases), so knowing others enjoy it really makes it feel worth it.

I think, partially because of this map, I’m more excited for the reworks than I am for the new maps, it will bother me to no end how horrible the roads near Fresno and around SoCal look until we finally get them completed rebuilt.
Tristman

#30 Post by Tristman » 28 Feb 2022 18:48

Oh I feel that, I can't wait to properly map those cities either.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”