Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

Reignman

Re: Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

#111 Post by Reignman » 20 Sep 2020 00:02

Haha I found it, the receipt of the PC I built 12 years ago from Micro Center. The one I'm still using with all the original parts. I must have gotten a damn good motherboard because ohhh boy that was the most expensive part. Never got to take advantage of that SLI xD.

$180 Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300
$260 EVGA 780I SLI FTW 775 motherboard
$180 EVGA GeForce 9800GT 1GB DDR3 PCIe2
$68 Corsair XMS2-6400 4GB DDR2
$150 Seagate 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD
$30 22x SATA DVD RW
$75 Enermax Chakra case (estimate)
$120 Silencer 750W Quad PSU
$40 Logitech Cordless (mouse/keyboard)

$1100 total

Oddly enough the case wasn't listed on the receipt, so they might have forgot to ring that up and I got it for free lol. It's like when you put a case of soda on the bottom rack of a cart and the cashier doesn't see it so you walk out with a free case xD. Research suggests it was about $75. I didn't need a monitor, but I bought a new one eventually. Don't remember the price, but it was my first HD widescreen, an LG 21" and it crapped out on me after only 2-3 years.

I can't believe I paid that much for the motherboard though, or even the overkill PSU. And good grief, look at the HDD price lol. 1.5TB was huge back then though. I just bought a 2TB 7200 RPM HDD for $55. I guess these parts were all a good deal because they're all still working after 12 years. $68 for 4GB was a good deal for RAM at the time. Maybe because bitcoin mining was a thing yet haha. My MB only supports a max of 8GB, so 4 was more than enough.

I ran a couple benchmarks, so have a good laugh.

And Cinebench, which I thought would overheat and BSOD my CPU lol.

If you want to play along at home, you can download the 2 benchmark tools here.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/
https://www.maxon.net/en-us/products/ci ... -overview/

I also found an old price catalog for PC parts (tigerdirect), circa early 2001, so I'm having a good chuckle over what people used to pay for inferior tech lol. 18" flat panel monitor for only $1800 for example. Doesn't even mention the resolution. 10GB HDD for $90. GeForce2 Ultra 64MB GPU for $390. 128MB of PC100 RAM for $50. And lots of crappy pre-builts for $1000. Just think, 20 years from now we'll be laughing at people who paid $1500 for a 2080ti. And probably someone who paid $300 for a GTX 2060 ;)

Reignman

#112 Post by Reignman » 20 Sep 2020 00:54

Crocko From Oz wrote:
19 Sep 2020 23:18
The factory OC: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/ ... SOC-6GD#kf

This is the card that I now have installed in my system. Yesterday I ran some benchmarks (PC Mark 10 Extended) and this card peaked at 1980 MHz @ factory settings.
Oh wow, I just saw that card on Newegg for $420, but turns out that price is from a 3rd party dealer through Newegg. Newegg itself has it for $240, and I was watching that particular model, and the 3 fan version which has an even higher clock speed for $10 more.

The 3 cards I"m watching:

1660 Super OC 2 fan version:

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce ... GBAC2V6287

1660 Super OC 3 fan version:

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce ... 6814932223

2060 2 fan version:

https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce ... 6814932115

I'm specifically watching those 3 models because they each have 3 display port outputs (and an HDMI). EVGA cards have 3 different outputs (DVI, HDMI, and DP). Not ideal for a 3 monitor setup.

Side by side comparison of all 3 using Gigabytes comparison tool. Pretty much a dead heat except the 2060 has 500 more cuda cores, so not sure what that translates to in performance, or if it's worth the $70-80 increase. Plus now I'm watching the Radeon RX 5600 XT which is around $280 and is on par with the 2060 performance wise. It's an AMD though lol. If prices drop and I can snag a 2060 for $280, then that'll be what I go with. Otherwise I'll consider the 1660 Super OC or the 5600 XT. You guys keep forgetting that I'm not going to pay more than $300 for a 2060 lol. At $320-330, yeah that's not worth it.

Crocko From Oz

#113 Post by Crocko From Oz » 20 Sep 2020 01:34

Make sure you have plenty of room in your case for the 3-fan SUPER GAMING OC version as they are a long card - L=280mm vs L=225.65mm for the 2-fan SUPER OC. They are nearly a foot long.

ADDED: BTW, if anyone is interested in purchasing the full version of PCMark 10, it's currently available on Steam @ 85% off.

Or you can buy the bundle (3DMark + PCMark + VRMark) for 89% off.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/524390/PCMark_10/

Offer ends 28th September

Reignman

#114 Post by Reignman » 22 Sep 2020 04:40

Yep, I already bought the case so I measured it myself and made sure I had enough space before entertaining the idea. Even after I install the front panel fans, I'll have 330mm of space. I'd still prefer a 2 fan card because I think that would allow for better air flow overall (front to back), but I won't hesitate to get a longer 3 fan card if that's the better deal at the time.

I'm finding the R5 3600 for around $175 more often now, so hopefully that means demand has finally died down and the price will start dropping. Unfortunately there has been absolutely no movement on GPU prices, and RAM prices are still where they've always been. Nobody ever even has a sale on any of those parts lol. Newegg has jacked up the price on the motherboard I wanted by $15. It's almost as much as the WiFi version now. But Amazon still has it for $165 so I'm not worried yet.

While I wait for a good deal, I decided to start looking at what kind of mouse/keyboard options were out there lol. Oh man, looks like I have some more research to do. I don't need them, but mine are cheap and crappy, so I thought why not. So what kind of mouse/keyboard is everyone else using? I'd hate to spend more than $15-20 for either, but I'd like a keyboard where the labels don't wear off so easily lol. And one that's easy to clean. My last keyboard the key caps would break when I tried to pop them off to clean under them. So a mechanical keyboard seemed like the best option, but those are a bit spendy.

GT182

#115 Post by GT182 » 28 Sep 2020 01:26

I have the Logitech K800 with the backlit keys, and a Logitech G602 mouse. Both are wireless and work very well. I finally smartened up and I'm now using rechargeable AA batteries for the mouse. There I just jinxed myself. :roll: ;)
Gary - CB code name: CW
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm ATS addicted to doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:

Reignman

#116 Post by Reignman » 30 Sep 2020 02:39

@GT182 lol yeah I was going to say, wireless? I bet they eat through the batteries. I tried wireless awhile back and yeah they went through a ridiculous amount of batteries. Plus it was slightly annoying when the keyboard or mouse would suddenly stop working, so I'm sticking with USB. That's a fancy mouse you got there though. How do you manage all those buttons lol?
Crocko From Oz wrote:
19 Sep 2020 23:18
The factory OC: https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/ ... SOC-6GD#kf

This is the card that I now have installed in my system. Yesterday I ran some benchmarks (PC Mark 10 Extended) and this card peaked at 1980 MHz @ factory settings.
Since prices refuse to come down on GPU's, I'm leaning back toward the 1660 Super's. I'm still watching the Gigabyte you linked, and a new contender has entered my radar too. The MSI Gaming X which has gotten great reviews and performs well in benchmarking. It's the same price as the Gigabyte, and both have the 4 connections (3x DP + 1 HDMI), which I want. The ridiculous price shown at this link is from a 3rd party dealer lol. Newegg sells it for $240, but they're out of stock.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-gtx- ... D6HAFH2606

The prices for everything keeps headed in the wrong direction though. The RAM I want went up $10 now, and it's still the cheapest 3600. The motherboard was up $15 for awhile, but finally went back down to it's normal price. The R5 3600 is still over $200, but I see it at $175 occasionally so I'm not too worried. Gen 4 is being unveiled October 8th so I'll keep waiting until then before I buy anything. The 3070's aren't launching until October 15th I heard, and a 3060ti is coming after that? Man they just keep making me wait lol.

So I decided to research how the release of gen 3 affected gen 2 prices, and what kind of holiday deals I can expect. Not that I want to wait another 2 months for crying out loud lol. I'm already losing my mind.

Gen 2 prices didn't drop by much (-$10) when Gen 3 was released, but there were some significant deals (-$30) on Black Friday (Nov 29th) last year on all CPU's. And there were good deals up to xmas. That almost makes me consider waiting another 2 months. On the other hand, I imagine everything will sell out quickly, so maybe it will be best if I just pay the extra money and build my PC before that madness. I'm already losing my patience lol. Plus if there are holiday stock issues, I could be waiting until January, which I don't want to do because that's when prices sky rocket. I haven't seen any back order options with Amazon or Newegg, so if something sells out before you get it, you're SOL.

@Some newbie driver so what do you think? With RAM prices headed the wrong direction, would it be better to get 16GB of 3600 RAM, or 32GB of 3200 RAM? Both CL 16. I'm still in "wait and see" mode because RAM prices were supposed to drop Q3 of 2020 into the beginning of 2021, but worst case scenario, I'm thinking about sacrificing the 3600 so I can get more 3200. 32GB of 3600 is about $144 right now, and I can get 32GB of 3200 for $94. 16GB of 3600 is $79. $15 for an extra 16GB of RAM? If the prices don't drop by the time I order the CPU and GPU, I'll have to consider the 3200.

GT182

#117 Post by GT182 » 30 Sep 2020 16:11

Reignman, I manage to get by with it. Actually it's the best wireless mouse I've eve had and use. Works great for ATS and flight sims too. :D I even have a spare as you can't find this one any more. ;)
Gary - CB code name: CW
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm ATS addicted to doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:

plykkegaard

#118 Post by plykkegaard » 30 Sep 2020 16:43

Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Internal rechargeable battery

A small but handy mouse, mainly for laptop I suppose
But I use it for both laptop and desktop

Only downside, you can't easily change the battery
But it is probably worn out before a change is needed
Sorry, out of office

Reignman

#119 Post by Reignman » 02 Oct 2020 02:11

Well my need for a new PC has become a little more urgent. My PC froze up last night and when I hit the reset button the PC was very sluggish and nearly unresponsive booting up. It made it back to windows, but the HDD was making a weird clicking noise and everything remained sluggish. I rebooted again and it was even more sluggish. Eventually I got a message on boot up that said the bootmgr was missing, so it wouldn't boot at all.

I've been here before with this PC lol. This is the 3rd HDD in the past 2 years that had a missing or corrupt bootmgr after a crash. My windows 7 disk was unable to make the necessary repairs, nor was my boot disk (partition magic). They never do. You can't fix a missing bootmgr can you? I tried everything I found on the internet too, but nothing worked. I was able to browse the drive via the boot disk however and retrieve whatever data I wanted, but partition magic reported read errors when I tried to test the drive. It would never get past 10%, but I had no problem copying data from it to another HDD, so I don't know what's up with that.

I recently bought a new 2TB HDD meant as a storage drive for my new PC, but I installed windows 7 on it last night so I have something to use until I get my new PC built. Oooo man, I hate fresh installs lol. All the crap you have to re-install and setup. I have most of my programs and games on another slave HDD that was unaffected by the crash, but I lost custom settings and save files, and now I have issues with missing keys or other registry problems because all that was on the boot drive ofc. Good times!

Worst timing ever though. I only needed this dang thing to last another month at most. Part prices are still to high, but I'm almost mad enough to say screw it xD.

Some newbie driver

#120 Post by Some newbie driver » 02 Oct 2020 12:20

Luckily enough for me, I'm not living on foreseeing prices trends; it seems I didn't nailed no one. :-/

And about what's happening on your hard drive, easy answer: clicking sounds on a Hard Drive = head losing track position. That disk is dead; save all the data you can, check it looking for corruption (fast gallery view to photos and videos for example); and be sure to check really important files (those who anyway you should had already had in a backup). If something is wrong, try to extract it again from the disk. If the result is the same, you are not going to do it any better (should you send the disk to a professional data recovery service in case it will be essential to recover something (and even then, nobody can guarantee you will recover what you want). I hope you are not in that necessity because it will cost you all your budget for the new PC.

In case you could move along and purchase the new PC; that the 16GB of 3600 RAM. You could increase to 32 any time in the future; if you purchase good brands they will keep the lineup for quite time. If you fear the DIMM will not be "perfectly paired" (something that concerns excessively most people; it's important in computers working on the limit); then in the future you could always sell the actual 16GB of 3600 and purchase 32GB of whatever you want. The 3600 DIMM are going to retain way better second-hand value than 3200 ones.

And about mouse & keyboard; I hate to death wireless ones; I'm a cable-taliban and will never understand people who gets bothered by the cable in the mouse (even worse, in the keyboard! what they do with the keyboard so the cable is a nuisance?!). I don't like to give advises about those peripherals though because it's too personal, the taste of the final user weights too much in the final decision for an advise to be useful. The only thing to say are obvious advises as try to flee far away from any "gaming" gimmicks that most times only beef the price at zero extra usability. You are purchasing on a strict budget, no way to waste money on fancy colors and weird shapes. As mouse I'm using the G502Hero from Logitech; the led it has is stopped and the weights somewhere in a box; I took it because their buttons number and distribution (and the overall shape was comfortable in my hand). Its lots of buttons are perfect to play games. In ETS2 I can control blinkers, retarder up/down, engine brake up/down, cabin zoom, camera zoom, gear up/down, cruise speed up/down and long front lights on/of. All without taking the hand away from the mouse.

Regards

Return to “Off topic and other voices”