Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

Some newbie driver

Re: Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

#431 Post by Some newbie driver » 22 Apr 2021 19:55

You know Reignman that you owe us now some cool HD videos of your long-combos in action. Do you?
Reignman

#432 Post by Reignman » 25 Apr 2021 07:52

Some newbie driver wrote: 22 Apr 2021 19:55You know Reignman that you owe us now some cool HD videos of your long-combos in action. Do you?
Well I don't know about HD, still working on that part ... but I did start posting some videos in my parking thread xD.

viewtopic.php?f=182&t=284628&start=140

The captured video looks much sharper on my PC, so not sure where I'm losing the quality. Some during the rendering process I suppose, and then youtube degrades it a little more during upload too. People are uploading some nice quality videos though, so I gotta figure out their secret. Much better than what my old potato PC could produce however haha.
Reignman

#433 Post by Reignman » 27 Apr 2021 23:22

It figures, the one time I finally win a Newegg shuffle in 30 attempts, it's the one time I was just playing for the hell of it because everything was severely overpriced and packaged with a combo. I won the right to buy a $1300 rx6800xt with a $150 motherboard. I checked ebay and no rx6800xt has sold for more than $1450 the past 2 months, so I can't even scalp it lol. The combo deal would cost me $1550 after taxes. FML!

I don't even know if I'd pay MSRP for a rx6800xt ($649). Newegg or ASrock are basically charging double MSRP though, so even retailers are scalping now.
Some newbie driver

#434 Post by Some newbie driver » 28 Apr 2021 09:47

Yes, that has been happening for months. But I didn't knew about such a ridiculous overpriced example.

I don't remember who the reviewer was on Youtube that recently said something like: Time ago, news about a new graphic card were very expected and people was eager to know more. Now they all have achieved that people say "who cares".
Reignman

#435 Post by Reignman » 01 May 2021 23:13

Yeah even I've stopped wasting so much time trying to find one. Newegg prices/combos keep getting worse so I don't even enter those as often. I've seen claims that it's not Newegg forcing the combos, it's the manufacturers (EVGA, ASUS, MSI etc), but they haven't been forcing other retailers to do combos. Best Buy doesn't do combos and their prices are still pretty reasonable ($449-$499 for an EVGA 3060ti for example, which is what EVGA themselves are charging), but they only drop once every 2 weeks and I missed the one on Wednesday, so it's a long wait. BB is the only one still selling FE editions too, and at MSRP.

Other than that, Zotac has their own weekly drop, which I keep missing (prices slightly higher than EVGA), and AMD does it's own drop every once in awhile at MSRP, but I've never gotten past their rigorous captcha obstacle course before they sell out xD. Don't even waste your time at Amazon. They're the only ones who drop frequently (and randomly), but they have no bot protection, and there are about 4 menus of clicking you gotta make it through before the bots do, which is impossible. The bot I was using isn't even fast enough.

If these retailers let you reserve the card as soon as you get it in your cart (which is hard enough as it is), then normal shoppers would have a shot. I've gotten about 40 cards in my cart and to checkout, but that's where I always I lose them.

Right now my best shot is probably the EVGA or ShopBLT queue, but that'll take months. I didn't enter any EVGA queue's until the end of February, when I signed up for 5-6 different cards, but people who signed up in Nov/Dec have just been getting theirs. I can't find any info about the ShopBLT queue, but rumors suggest they're slower than EVGA. The only thing they had was a reasonable priced EVGA 3060 anyway, so it'll be interesting to see which queue I get an EVGA card through first, EVGA themselves, or ShopBLT lol. I signed up at EVGA 6 weeks before ShopBLT too, because I didn't even know about them until recently.

If I lived near a MC or BB, I'd be tempted to camp out, or at the very least, drive by just before they open to see if I get lucky.
mackintosh

#436 Post by mackintosh » 01 May 2021 23:32

Look on the bright side, the cheapest 3080 I could find locally is retailing for $2845.
GT182

#437 Post by GT182 » 02 May 2021 00:28

I was at the Micro Center in St. Davids/Radnor, PA last Thursday and saw the newest grahics card they had in-store in a locked case..... the EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Triple-Fan 24GB GDDR6X PCIe 4.0 for well over 2900.00. I can't remember the actual price, but more than likely it was close to 3000.00 Just checked now and it's been sold. They have a 30 day period where you can buy only 1 grahics card in those 30 days. And they keep track so you can't cheat and buy more than one.

There were also 7 others others but nothing nearly as good. In a case by itself were a lot of 710s and 730s by a couple of makers besides EVGA.

I arrived at the store at 9:30am and there was a line of at least 15 people waiting to get in the store but off to one side 30 feet away from the main entrance. No idea how long they'd been there. Must have been people waiting to see if they could get a "voucher" to buy what came in in the way of graphics cards. I waited by the main entrance with 3 others, and I was the first one in the store at 10am, but no one complained. One of the sales guys told me they get very few cards in one shipment because of the problems caused by Covid 19. And lately he's only seen deliveries on Mondays and Thursdays. And I'm glad I didn't want or need a graphics card. :lol:
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
Reignman

#438 Post by Reignman » 02 May 2021 04:14

mackintosh wrote: 01 May 2021 23:32Look on the bright side, the cheapest 3080 I could find locally is retailing for $2845.
Which is why I'd be willing to pay $1000 for a temporary 3080, knowing I could easily sell it later. Same with a 3070. Personally I only want/need a 3060 or 3060ti. Won't pay more than $400 for a 3060 or $550 for a ti. Best Buy and Zotac are still in that range. 3090's are out of my price range even at MSRP lol. I was so close to getting a 3060ti FE through Best Buy last month, and I still haven't recovered from the anxiety it gave me xD.
GT182 wrote: 02 May 2021 00:28I was at the Micro Center in St. Davids/Radnor, PA last Thursday and saw the newest grahics card they had in-store in a locked case..... the EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Triple-Fan 24GB GDDR6X PCIe 4.0 for well over 2900.00. I can't remember the actual price
Yikes! Is MC charging that much for 3090's? That's nearly double MSRP. I just checked their site and noticed they're not listing prices for any of the 3000 series cards atm. Good to know someone has actually set a limit and enforces it though. I can't remember what retailer it was now, but they had a limit of 5 lol. Who the hell needs 5 GPU? Besides a miner or scalper? Not helping!!!

Would be nice if the miners would at least let the gamers get their 1 card, then they can have everything else that comes off the assembly line until 4000 series launches. Gamers buy their 1 card and they're out of the market. Miners want to buy as many as they can get. Their demand is insatiable, which is what's making the situation so miserable. And once the gamers get their card, the scalpers have no market.
Some newbie driver

#439 Post by Some newbie driver » 03 May 2021 16:18

The prices of any GPU in the market are changing from abusive and infuriating to plainly stupid an laughably. Every new day that resembles me more the tulip fever crash.

If people keep pushing so hard for that ethereum trash they are going to accomplish it will be worthwile to use some kind of hardware/software/strategy that actually isn't profitable. If that happens, it will be something like happened with ASICs in bitcoin; all of a sudden those GPU-mining rigs will be useless and have ZERO resell value.

BTW @Reignman,. I think this video of GN explains some of the points you mention about those NewEgg shuffles being ridiculous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXN3Oe5FdRQ
Reignman

#440 Post by Reignman » 12 May 2021 02:51

I keep hearing possible good news with the GPU market, like ethereum becoming harder and harder to mine because too many people are doing it now. Plus their transition to proof of stake eventually (not until late 2022 though). ASIC's are becoming more available and popular too, which are better/more efficient for mining. Still next to impossible to buy a card. Scalper prices have come down quite a bit though, so another good sign. 3080ti's and 3070ti's coming soon with even better anti-crypto measures?!?! We'll see. I'm not seeing any of this make a difference for normal shoppers yet though.

But Taiwan still has a drought problem, which is only getting worse from what I hear. And so much for Intel saving the day with it's new GPU's, since they're also going to use TSMC lol. C'mon guys!!!! We need moar fabs!!!

And how bout this for recognizing a scam ... I managed to buy a 3070 through Amazon today ... and that's the only reason I knew it was a scam lol. The fact that I actually managed to get one, THROUGH Amazon. Impossible!!! So after I ordered it, I immediately went looking for info about it and I realized it was a scam, so I canceled the order. They weren't being sold by Amazon, but a 3rd party through Amazon. I actually wasn't in any danger of losing money because Amazon has protections. But hey, I got to be excited for about 30 seconds lol. Thinking I finally bought a card. Which I wasn't going to keep anyway. I just wanted to sell it for a nice little profit. I've been tortured for 6 months, so at this point I feel a little entitled about being compensated for all the time I've wasted xD.

@some newbie driver haha yeah, I watched that video too. Whatever Steve is making, it isn't enough. Paul did a video about it too. I don't know if I mentioned before, but Newegg paired a $700 1080p monitor with a 3090 recently, and a 650W PSU with a 3080. I saw another one that included 2 different mice (mouses?) in the same combo. I wouldn't be so against the combos if they somewhat gave you a choice. Like if you want this GPU you have your choice of buying RAM, PSU, MB, or monitor. The other problem with some of these combos is the MB's. What if they pair them with an AMD MB, and you have an Intel CPU?

I just want my $350 3060 and then I can move on with life and don't have to worry about it anymore. I've given up on the suffles, and the only time I waste now is once every 2 weeks waiting for Best Buy to drop. The 1650 Super is already the best GPU I've had, so I don't even know what I'm missing yet xD. Which has made the GPU shortage somewhat bearable. I mean, I tolerated a 9800GT 7 years longer than a human reasonably should, so a year or 2 with a 1650 Super shouldn't kill me xD. Maybe I just end up waiting for 4000 series at this point. Nvidia will be competing with it's own 3000 series on the used market eventually so maybe I'll find some good deals. Remember when I laughed about waiting until November to buy a GPU? Little did I know that it would be November 2022 haha.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”