Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

Digital X

Re: Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

#441 Post by Digital X » 12 May 2021 12:44

$700 for 1080p?? What are the specs on that?

I've had 1440p/144hz/G Sync/IPS panels for less than £400
Some newbie driver

#442 Post by Some newbie driver » 13 May 2021 11:02

Probably HDR capable and/or very high refresh rate. I've seen some 360Hz panels on those resolutions for uber-pros of gaming e-sports.

Whatever, the future is grim and dark. Since the moment the shortage is not of GPU but of any kind of silicon and even car companies are stopping production due it; one has clear the any solution for gamers is at the very end of the list. Our is a "first world problem" with zero relevance in the great scheme of things.

And about the extra problem of the crypto-miners, nothing is going to solve it. NVidia allegedly protections work only against Ethereum; that's when they work. I laugh at them pretending it to not be circumvented by big multi-billion mining companies. Not to mention that at any moment another crypto-shit could appear that gets all the interest instead of Ethereum. The only way to stop crypto-mining operations to disrupt all the market is to hit them where it cause pain: in the suitability of them to be used (like Tesla did, under 60 days after they started to accept the, they corrected that nonsense).

But as I don't think that could happen in a big enough scale in the medium term (too many people in "gold-rush" brainless mode); we have crypto-bubble and GPU shortage for a looong time.
Reignman

#443 Post by Reignman » 16 Jun 2021 00:58

Can you tell I've pretty much given up on finding a GPU lol? This thread went a whole month without any activity. I haven't been following any news recently either. Tired of all the false hope and rumors. LHR cards were supposed to be out by now, and they were supposed to help, but I don't see anything. Bitcoin is way down though and ethereum is only paying half what it did 2 months ago, and they're working quickly to get away from proof of work, but it's still impossible to find a GPU. Retailers have been scalping their own GPU now too. They've almost caught up to ebay prices, which have fallen. Older model cards are much cheaper though. You couldn't get a 2060 for under $900 a couple months ago, but now they're around $600. $500 1650's are down to $300 too.

Newegg is the worst offender. I regret buying most of my other PC parts through them now. They keep raising prices, and their forced combos are worse than ever. You can't even get a 3060 without spending $600-700 now in their shuffles. $1400 for 3080's, so those aren't even worth buying and reselling on ebay lol. I'll remember that though. I won't buy another PC part through them again. I'm still disappointed in Amazon too.

On the other hand, Best Buy is finally living up to it's name as it's in fact the best buy for GPU now. I've seen a maximum $10 price increase on some of the cards I've been watching. They pissed me off during the 3070ti launch though. It's the first time in a month I camped a website waiting for GPU to drop, and they never came. I started camping/refreshing at 8am and I finally gave up at 3pm, only to find out later they started dropping at 3:15 lmao. Apparently they had a shipping delay, hence the late drop. It wasn't a big drop anyway. Plus I figured everyone would be after the new 3070ti's so I camped my usual 3060's and 3060ti's, thinking it was my best chance, but they only had the one 3060ti FE drop all day. Complete waste of time either way.

I'm getting used to my 1650 Super lol. I've never had anything better, so I don't even know what I'm missing. It's given me a lot more patience, and the new PC is working fine, but it's now been a year since I started this process. It was in June last year when I started looking into building a new PC, and I created this topic 10 months ago. About the time I told @Some newbie driver he was crazy if he thought I was going to wait another 2 months to buy a GPU haha. November?! Are you high? Wow, I probably still won't even have one by this coming November xD. I should probably just wait for the 4000 series at this point.
Some newbie driver

#444 Post by Some newbie driver » 16 Jun 2021 16:52

Reignman wrote: 16 Jun 2021 00:58Can you tell I've pretty much given up on finding a GPU lol?
If you remember, I explained the problem I had with mine since December and I didn't even bothered to search for one. The most trustworthy source I've here in Spain rated prices near double MSRP, very near those prices on NewEgg or similar... just that those are in US$ while my source ones are Euros; go imagine. I refuse to pay that much for a graphic card, plain and simple.

LHR cards are in sale and, of course, had zero impact on the problem as expected.

And yes, crypto-bubble has significantly exploded, but that's the easy part. The difficult one is to change the mindset of so many people that still think they could become rich mining. So the prices will stay high because the demand will still be huge and the production will not cover it. The funny part will arrive if the cripto-bubble still deflates more. Then, all those crypto-companies will start to massively sell their cards before their value will be zero and all the S****RS that had been scalping prices are going to see how their stuff will be pure loses.

And about the 3070Ti... Wasn't that the one was said it's going to be launched only in physical BestBuy stores? That the web sales are going to be available only once the first shipment was completely sold? Maybe I understood it wrong, though. Wasn't that model the one that caused that grim video of people rushing and fighting to be in a queue to purchase it? I recall it was somewhere in Texas. It seems there was even some injuries... :roll:

Whatever, certainly this thread has been an exercise of patience and resilience to frustration. :cry:

Regards

PS: You still owe us some videos with the new PC! :lol:
Reignman

#445 Post by Reignman » 27 Jun 2021 20:52

Some newbie driver wrote: 16 Jun 2021 16:52And about the 3070Ti... Wasn't that the one was said it's going to be launched only in physical BestBuy stores? That the web sales are going to be available only once the first shipment was completely sold?
That's what I thought and I even mentioned it in the discord channel while we were all waiting for the drop, but everyone told me I was wrong and that it was an online purchase only. I wasn't trying to get a 3070ti anyway, I just wanted a 3060 or 3060ti and figured I'd have a better chance that day because everyone would be trying to get a 3070ti.
Some newbie driver wrote: 16 Jun 2021 16:52PS: You still owe us some videos with the new PC! :lol:
I posted some videos in the doubles parking thread already, and have more on my channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRbCbz ... fTA/videos

Not as many as I've wanted to have uploaded by now, but my upload speed is painfully slow. It can take an hour to upload an 8 minute clip. I have a bunch of good ones recorded though, I've just been too lazy to edit/render/upload them xD. In fact I already filled up my 2TB HDD lol. The other day I had to go through and delete a bunch to free up some space.

Recorded some parking videos with multiple camera angles, something new I've been trying out, as if parking a turnpike isn't hard enough the regular way, now I'm trying to do it remotely just to get some different camera angles haha. Maybe once I get a dual monitor setup I can record from multiple angles on one monitor while driving normally on the other. That would make it easier. Otherwise I'm driving blind sometimes and have to guess where I'm going and hope I don't hit anything, just to get a nice shot, and then having to start over if I mess it up xD. Oh well, it's good practice.

EDIT: I was suddenly motivated to get one uploaded just now viewtopic.php?f=182&t=284628&p=1575310#p1575310
angrybirdseller

#446 Post by angrybirdseller » 28 Jun 2021 02:13

Went to Microcenter lucked out and got 3070 for 799.99 as they had shipment come in that day. Wealthy off mining wait till the tax season arrives and government needs money lol.
Some newbie driver

#447 Post by Some newbie driver » 29 Jun 2021 18:31

Reignman wrote: 27 Jun 2021 20:52That's what I thought and I even mentioned it in the discord channel while we were all waiting for the drop, but everyone told me I was wrong and that it was an online purchase only.
Not really... it ended being that NVidia just DIDN'T delivered any card to be sold (founders edition ones I mean, the ones that allegedly were going to be sold only in specific store chains). It has been an absolute paper launch in which NVidia left tech reviewers to upload videos about a card that isn't going to be sold so build up expectation and people finally settling to purchase third-party AIB versions obviously more over-priced. Really, NVidia would be at this point buried in hot magma if their customers weren't plain and simple a bunch of brainless masochist mobs. They are being abused, lied and mocked and they still ask for more. :roll:
Reignman wrote: 27 Jun 2021 20:52I posted some videos in the doubles parking thread already, and have more on my channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRbCbz ... fTA/videos
Ohhh, I missed the messages on that thread. Long time since I checked it. Nice videos indeed... confess, with the more smooth PC it's easier now for sure. :lol:

Regards
GT182

#448 Post by GT182 » 01 Jul 2021 02:03

Here's a question. Not really on the build of your computer but what cable you use from your modem to your computer. I found out last week from a friend there is a CAT6 cable. Didn't even know it existed.... actually never even thought about it until he mentioned it. Xfinity using a CAT5 cable only delivers 100mbs/sec. With a CAT6 cable it doubles to 200. I had to return my modem, that crapped out on me for a new one, and asked the guy in the Comcast store about it. He said go with the CAT6 and if I wanted to pay 10.00 more a month it would jump to 800. My bill is high enough as is so I didn't go with 800.

So, are you using CAT6 now?

I bought one and I'm using it now. And I can see a difference in download times for my ATS mods. Internet even seems faster, even tho it's only at 200mbs/sec.
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
xXCARL1992Xx

#449 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 01 Jul 2021 11:51

CAT5e supports 1000mbit/s, the guy who tolled you CAT6 only supports 100mbit/s doesnt know what he is talking about, provider always talk in bite not byte most of the time, so 200mb would be a 1.6gbit/s connection wich is a strange number (same for 100mb, this would be 800mbit/s)
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]
Some newbie driver

#450 Post by Some newbie driver » 04 Jul 2021 11:55

@GT182 the person that talked you about Ethernet twisted pair cable categories either didn't know what he was talking about or it was very bad at explaining it. Actually there's 4 Ethernet twisted pair cable categories to have in mind.

Cat.5: The oldest one still easily found in old installations (even if it was deprecated in 2001), works with a 100MHz signal and it's rated up to 5Gbps (5GBASE-T) in certain scenarios; although I wouldn't trust to go over 100Mbps (100BASE-TX) in any installation found out there in the wild. If you hat patch cables of Cat.5 linking any device in you home, dump and change them for anything of higher category. If the structural cabling of a home or office is Cat.5... well, they are (literally) living in the past century, almost. It's being time to change it.

Cat.5e: Pretty old too, superseded Cat.5 improving several physical characteristics that allowed them, even when keeping the 100MHz signal, to reliably service a 1Gbit/s (1000BASE-T) network up to the 100m limit distance common on all Ethernet deployments (it's rated up to 5GBASE-T like the previous one, but I would not recommend that). That make it very popular an long standing in the market , so, there's uncountable installations with that kind of cabling everywhere. Most patch cables that come with domestic network equipment are still Cat.5e and that's enough because none of those use to have more than 1Gbit/s Ethernet ports.

Cat.6: The main cable currently used in recent and actual installations. The signal improves to 250MHz and that allows very reliable 1000BASE-T in compromised environments, also reliable 2,5GBASE-T or even 5GBASE-T connections. That kind of network connections (specially 2,5Gbit/s ones) had been popular in high end computers in recent years as Internet connections were starting to reach 1Gbit/s (so, then, our LAN was bottlenecking) and at the same time because were cheap enough to produce (5Gbit/s stuff is rarer to find and 10Gbit/s is way more expensive). Cat.6 cables can also deliver 10GBASE-T but limited to 55m distance if unshielded. That kind of cabling can be said as a "long-term future-proof" for general domestic use. If you have those linking your devices, you should not had to worry about that in the next 15 years almost for sure.

Cat.6A: An improvement of the Cat.6 that raises the signal to 500MHz and allows it to deliver 10GBASE-T up to the usual 100m limit for Ethernet insatallations. It's the kind of cabling that one could find actually in newer professional installations (all kind of companies offices) that want something long standing and reliable. Is not they are going to leverage actually the difference, but in the years to come, soon or later, they will.

There are higher categories but they really aim data center deployments with ginourmous requirements of bandwidth; so in a domestic space it's a nonsense to talk about them. Neither the alternative of Fiber Optic instead of Ethernet cables, unless you could had a necessity to link 2 points over 100m (really over 90 physical meters).

Last but not least, have in mind that just to change a cable will improve nothing by itself. The whole quality (and conformance) of the LAN infrastructure will be the one of the worst component fond on it. If you change your patch cables but the wall plug, or the network card, or the switch... are lower quality components; then that's what you are going to really have. So, check the specs of your stuff before start concerning too much about the cabling.

Regards

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”