Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

GT182

Re: Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

#451 Post by GT182 » 04 Jul 2021 17:49

All I know is how it was explained to me the guy at Comcast. As I said I had no idea there was a Cat6 cable and what it would do as an improvement. I have the Cat5e, it's what the Cat6 replaced. I'll check more on the components I have. Thanks for the info.
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
Reignman

#452 Post by Reignman » 05 Jul 2021 06:44

angrybirdseller wrote: 28 Jun 2021 02:13Went to Microcenter lucked out and got 3070 for 799.99 as they had shipment come in that day. Wealthy off mining wait till the tax season arrives and government needs money lol.
Ooof, that's only $300 over MSRP lol. In fact that's more than what the 3080's should be selling for, but I'd probably pay that much too knowing I could sell it for $1400 haha. I've completely given up looking for a card though. Would have been nice to mine with a card for a few months and then sell it before crypto tanks, but it wasn't meant to be I guess. Had I gotten a 3080 early on I could have paid for my entire PC these past 6-7 months mining with it.
Some newbie driver wrote: 29 Jun 2021 18:31Nice videos indeed... confess, with the more smooth PC it's easier now for sure. :lol:
Much easier on the eyes, that's for sure lol. It's not as painful using the mirrors now. But yeah the 100 FPS has been nice compared to the 17 I was getting. I actually don't even remember how bad it was. I wish I had the old PC still setup so I could go back and see how bad it was xD. Do you still play ATS or Euro btw, and what are you driving/hauling?
GT182 wrote: 01 Jul 2021 02:03Here's a question. Not really on the build of your computer but what cable you use from your modem to your computer. I found out last week from a friend there is a CAT6 cable.
I was aware of the CAT differences, and I am using a CAT6, but it wouldn't matter because I live in the country and my internet speed is only 25Mbps up and 3 down. A CAT5 could easily handle that xD. What I don't get however is when I'm uploading a video, the internet becomes unusable. I can't watch videos or do any surfing. Why would upload traffic affect browsing and watching videos, which are download traffic? It's rather annoying.

So if we do some quick math, a 7 min video of mine is about 730MB, so at 3Mbps (.375 MBps) that would be 1950 seconds or almost 33 minutes. 40 minutes to upload an average park job because YT does some other processing stuff that takes some time, so I was actually close with my exaggeration earlier lol.
Some newbie driver

#453 Post by Some newbie driver » 05 Jul 2021 11:53

Reignman wrote: 05 Jul 2021 06:44Why would upload traffic affect browsing and watching videos, which are download traffic? It's rather annoying.
Because for internet to work, you need to send back and forth messages to any server you are browsing from. And if your upload bandwith is saturated with the payload of the video being upload, then those message have hard times to find a spot to be sent from your computer to remote servers, drastically slowing any other Internet connection.

When dealing with limited upload bandwidth, one always should use tools that allow speed limits when uploading heavy content like videos. A lot of (cough) freedom activists (cough) that use P2P software to download (cough) perfectly legal copies of files use to have this problem permanently when nobody tells them to activate the upload limits.

Regards
angrybirdseller

#454 Post by angrybirdseller » 06 Jul 2021 22:05

Actually, the tarrifs raise the prices 25% it would of been $599.00 for 3070 lol. The prices very unlikely going to be MSRP price as shortages with chips. Retailers will raise prices before the holiday season.
Some newbie driver

#455 Post by Some newbie driver » 08 Jul 2021 18:23

It seems that in China thee have started to appear tons of GPUs on second hand as the government has started to put lots of obstacles to cryto-operations. And at a very compelling prices... if one doesn't factor they had been abused 24/7 in the most extreme operational envelope. So it's not really an option for those who want to invest on a GPU that will last for quite time (like Reignman, who wanted to invest on a long-life computer); but it removes from the demand a lot of people that just wanted whatever they could get at a reasonable price.

By here I've started to see some sporadic offers at way lower prices; but as the overprice had been so exaggerate, they are still way over I would be willing to pay. I should had to wait more; but things are improving slowly).

Regards

PS: @Reignman I missed to answer you before; I play only ETS2. One map is more than enough for my way to deal with games.
angrybirdseller

#456 Post by angrybirdseller » 08 Jul 2021 22:39

China everything so arbitrary so investing in cyptromining seems risky as government can crackdown without backlash from the public or industry. I cant see anybody buy gpu ran 24 hours aday with lots of abuse.
GT182

#457 Post by GT182 » 08 Jul 2021 23:08

Reignman, who is your cable/internet provider? When I lived up in Northern NY before the move to Delaware, we first had DSL which was really slow, and then Time Warner came thru and we switched to them. Then Comcast as TW sold out to them. Cable was a huge improvement over DSL.
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
Reignman

#458 Post by Reignman » 09 Jul 2021 09:11

Some newbie driver wrote: 05 Jul 2021 11:53Because for internet to work, you need to send back and forth messages to any server you are browsing from. And if your upload bandwith is saturated with the payload of the video being upload, then those message have hard times to find a spot to be sent from your computer to remote servers, drastically slowing any other Internet connection.
Ahhh good to know. I might have to look into this upload limiter. Or I can just keep playing ATS and record the next park job while I'm uploading a video haha. But wait a minute, my ISP limits my upload speed to 3 Mbps already, and my download speed is 25 Mbps, so what's going on with that other 22 Mbps? More importantly, why are upload limits always much lower than download limits?
Some newbie driver wrote: 08 Jul 2021 18:23PS: @Reignman I missed to answer you before; I play only ETS2. One map is more than enough for my way to deal with games.
Do you still play though? And what do you like to haul, or what's your favorite thing about the game? We got 50 pages of PC building conversation here but we really never talk about the game lol. I actually tried ETS2 for a bit back on my old PC. I explored most of the Czech Republic but it was difficult getting familiar with the different signage. The cab-overs are so much easier to maneuver though, which is why I like my K100E. The thing that annoyed me most about ETS2 was how the stop lights were on the near side of the street, so you couldn't see them when pulled up at a light. I always had to switch to outside view to see when the lights turn green. In the US the lights are on the far side of the street so they stay in your FOV better, unless you're driving the dang Pete 389 haha.
GT182 wrote: 08 Jul 2021 23:08Reignman, who is your cable/internet provider?
A local company called Arvig. It's cable internet. I've used DSL before ... and dial-up back in the day, so yeah I know what slow is haha. 25 Mbps is more than fine for what I do on the net, but yeah this 3 Mbps upload speed can be painful. Lucky I'm not uploading huge videos, or not very often.
Some newbie driver

#459 Post by Some newbie driver » 09 Jul 2021 20:23

Reignman wrote: 09 Jul 2021 09:11But wait a minute, my ISP limits my upload speed to 3 Mbps already, and my download speed is 25 Mbps,
No, your ISP is offering you a service with a ALLEGEDLY maximum speed of 25/3Mbps. Your final speeds are never going to reach those values. But for the sake of our mental health, let's go simplify and say you have those 25/3 always fully available and any communication you do isn't further restricted to any lower value in any point beyond the lines.

Then, yes, your upload is limited to 3Mbps by your ISP, but that only works at a router level. Your computer knows nothing about that; your computer sees an Ethernet link at 100Mbps or 1Gbps going out and that's the bandwidth it's going to consider as available and it's going to try to use all of it whenever it's possible. So, you start a upload of a video. Your computer starts to feed your router and due the upload bandwidth, your computer ends capping that video upload to those 3Mbps. Now you want to browse the web an to do so, your browser needs to transmit a bit of data. A very slow amount, that your computer has no problem into sending it to the router. But the routers says "hey hey, hold on, I'm already uploading at the max bandwidth". So, the message sent by your browser is put on hold till there will be a spot to be sent. A procedure that usually would had been done in a few milliseconds, it's going to take probably several tenths of a second. And that's noticeable, not only because we can distinguish times in a range of a tenth of a second; but also because it's not happening once, it's happening LOTS of times until you finally see the webpage loaded.

Try to do a ping to any IP address while uploading a video and when not doing so and compare the response times. You will clearly see what I mean. That's why you have to limit the upload bandwidth used on whatever software you are using to make the upload. If you have 3Mbps upload limit, don't let the video go any faster than 2Mbps (or even less if checking your line you see you don't reliably reach those values).
Reignman wrote: 09 Jul 2021 09:11so what's going on with that other 22 Mbps?
The other 22Mbps are download, not upload; you aren't almost consuming nothing of the whole 25 download when uploading.
Reignman wrote: 09 Jul 2021 09:11More importantly, why are upload limits always much lower than download limits?
Because an objective reason and a profitable reason.

The objective one is that almost all communications through Internet are highly asymmetric: one side listens and the other side talks. So, one side needs to be able to send a lot and the other side needs to be able to receive a lot. We are the consumers, the ones who listen what it's on Internet.

And about the profitable reason... Do you think the price you pay for your line is expensive? Do you think telecoms are evil giant corporations that swim in gold due what we pay them and even so we have a joke of a line? Then you are wrong. Almost all final consumer in "first-world" countries are paying dirt-cheap for their lines and telecoms would be all of them bankrupt since time ago if it would be just for that kind of contracts. But note that, for you to "consume" content over Internet, there has to be some company providing it. And the small amount of those (compared with the total number of telecom customers) are the ones that are paying unobtanium-level prices in their coms bills.

Content providers can't contract easy fancy and comfortable "plain tariffs" the kind of "send/receive whatever you want for a fixed price a month". Those agreements doesn't exist for companies with big com necessities; theirs are way different, for example they have to pay for:
- All the bandwidth used (let's say like if you surpass the GB limits on a mobile phone contract).
- The quality of the connection (its base latency and jitter levels)
- How direct the connection is with the final customers (the less hops in the chain, the faster and smoother client experience)
- The separation of the lines so not them all come from the same place (to avoid, for example, that an ass**** with an excavator doesn't let you completely down)
- The top-level SLA agreements so any big problem don't let them hours without coms.
- Lots of other complementary services and features that could be interesting for certain clients scenarios.

But whatever, bear in mind that those bills is not like to increase some % the one you pay... each thing you want to improve on those kind of lines equal to add one extra zero to the bill. It's another freaking level we can barely understand. To give you a value in perspective; just before it was acquired by Google (yeah, it didn't belong to Google, but it seems so far away in time...), Youtube was the source of 1/4th the WHOLE commercial traffic on Internet, GLOBALLY. And nobody known who the hell was throwing so much money in the black pit Youtube was at that moment (they were gaining not even a 1.000th of their running costs). I don't remember the price Google payed, you could search for it. It was astronomical and the funding people in the background of Youtube ended earning money, that's sure... But even so, I'm sure more than 90% of what Google payed was the accumulated debt of Youtube and more than half of it was telecoms bills.

Of course, those companies would not pay astronomical amounts in coms bills if there would be nobody consuming that generated bandwidth. That's why telecoms companies are interested into giving us those lines at a price that it's pure money loss. The overall is very profitable even if the "consumer-side" contracts are a ruin. That doesn't mean they don't want to win even more money, so they try to reduce as much as possible the loses in the consumer side, and that's why we use to have crap real bandwidth values (not ever reaching the contracted ones, and not just due DLS physical constrains), or why this universally atrocious consumer assistance departments; among other first-world-problems we suffer.

But all of this (excuse the wall of text) is for you to understand WHY our consumer-grade lines are asymmetrical for a "profit reason" too. If your line would be 25/25; then you could leverage it to run on your home an small Internet company (let's say a Reignman boutique of handmade gear knobs for ATS freaks :P ). You could start to be a "content creator" paying dirt-cheap coms bills. Like if the 300Mbps optic fiber that it's the most widespread here in Spain would be symmetric, I could run a pretty big company over it paying 50€/month (a joke of a price for any company). Instead of that, they are asymmetrical 300/60 and the real sustained values you can reach use to be around 150/15. And with that, no company can be a "source of content" from their offices. Either they start to pay "professional grade" lines (and to give you perspective, a GRANTED 20/20 symmetrical cost around 500€/month, yes, 10 times the other one) or they outsource that part of their IT into ISP buildings (that are going to be connected by the same kind of professional grade lines too paying yummy bills to the telecoms).
Reignman wrote: 09 Jul 2021 09:11Do you still play though? And what do you like to haul, or what's your favorite thing about the game?
Yeah, I still play (though last weeks I've been busy in another game). And I haul whatever cargo and whatever truck that suit my goals. In the current profile, I want to send and deliver from every single company yard; so the cargoes I try to pick are those who sent me to a place still left in the list (this way, I deliver one cargo and pick one all in a straight; easier to track the process of the goal then). Also it's a reduced income modified profile (no mods, just touched one value in the config file). So, so far I'm with a basic 4x2 truck and the heaviest cargoes are a problem. In the previous profile I just wanted to discover all (I achieved the 100% around RttBS release time). They I drove whatever the truck and trailer combo I was in the mood to drive at any moment; searching for pieces of road I had left. I had all the garages completely filled, so in every city I could always change.

And about the signage, well, yeah, that kind of changes are hard. I cannot stand the system in USA though (lucky me I don't drive it in ATS :lol:). I hate to have to be reading things to know WTH the signal means. I want to be focused on the road and for the icons like we have here are way better. I hate some places in Europe also that in the secondary signage (not the widespread common symbols) take that approach of "wall of text signal". It just you have to be used at them. Point is, we have to to to an academy to learn them in order to have the license, very strict procedures (I recall to have read in the States everything is way more lessez-faire); and we even learn some of those signals as a child back in the school (sessions of road safety, usually once a year). So for us is way more natural.
Reignman wrote: 09 Jul 2021 09:11The cab-overs are so much easier to maneuver though, which is why I like my K100E.
Sometimes I take a tour with a light 4x2 and 1-axled dry-box... that combo is shorter than some USA semi-tractors!! :lol:
Reignman wrote: 09 Jul 2021 09:11The thing that annoyed me most about ETS2 was how the stop lights were on the near side of the street, so you couldn't see them when pulled up at a light.
:lol::lol: It happens the same to everybody from your side of the pond. You are used to stop too further. IRL and in the game, one stops a bit before to see it right. Also IRL one could just wait the first ass**** to honk when turns green. Didn't you know that lapse of time is the unofficial definition of millisecond? :lol:

Regards
xXCARL1992Xx

#460 Post by xXCARL1992Xx » 09 Jul 2021 21:29

it depends on your ISP and what sort of connection is laid down to your house from the distribution point for your area, i have coax cable to my house from the distribution point, my connection is 400/40 (+20 on upload for an extra 3 or so € but this is an old contract pre-Vodafone, for a bit less then i pay now i could get 1000/50) and i get everything from 95 to 110% on the download, and almost same on the upload pretty constant, if you only have a copper connection, then yes the "up-to" speed can be reached but more often then not it wont
| !!!NO SUPPORT OR REQUESTS OF ANY SORT VIA PM!!! | Screenshot Thread | Steam Workshop | World of Trucks Profil |
[ external image ]

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”