Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

Reignman

Re: Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

#391 Post by Reignman » 06 Mar 2021 17:58

Haha if I had a spare $1500-2000 laying around, I would buy a 3090. Maybe. Given the current rate of ethereum, it would take 6 months to pay off a 3090. A 3080 at MSRP would only be 100 days, and the 3070 it's more like 5 months, which is even longer than the nerfed 3060 (4 months). Ethereum is only paying half what it paid 2 weeks ago though. $17.20/d with a 3090 2 weeks ago, but only $8.60 today, so that's down 50%. It's held steady the last few days. Bitcoin is only down 6% in that time and ethereum 22%. Most of these mining pools pay you in bitcoin, so not sure why the profit is dropping much faster than the price. Reignman's Law perhaps xD? Because when did I look into mining? Oh that's right, 2 weeks ago. Just a coincidence I'm sure ;).

And now I've lost 4 straight Newegg shuffles to get a 3060. It only took me 4 shuffles to win the 5600X, but I figured a GPU would take longer. The shuffles are kinda odd because you can select multiple items, but they only have 1 drawing, so if you win the drawing and select multiple items, you don't know which one you're going to get. Selecting multiple items doesn't give you a better chance to win either, so I've only selected the exact item I would want, and lately the only options have been the 3060, 3070, or a 3090. I've never seen a 3080 or a 3060ti. The 3070's they've had are all $650+ too, so no thanks. I can get the 3080 MSI Ventus for $700 ... if I could ever click the purchase button faster than these bots xD.
Some newbie driver

#392 Post by Some newbie driver » 07 Mar 2021 14:02

You are going to redeem the cost of no GPU if you can't flash that BIOS soon to turn up the 5600X. :P
Reignman

#393 Post by Reignman » 09 Mar 2021 21:55

Well I can't flash the BIOS without a GPU lol. Maybe I'll have that solved soon. Today Newegg had a 3060ti available in the shuffle, first time I've seen one, so I'm going for that one. Only $70 above MSRP at $470, but that's a much better deal than the $700 3070's. A 3060ti and 3070 mine at the same rate, so yeah the ti sounds like a much better deal. I've never seen a 3060ti at MSRP anywhere. I don't even see them for under $500, so $470 seems like a steal in the current market.

I also got an auto-buying bot setup now too. Yep, I finally did it, I'm a botter. If you can't beat em, join em xD. Like I said a couple weeks ago, you gotta evolve or go extinct. So if I don't win the 3060ti tonight, we'll see if I have any luck with the bot. Right now I only have it searching for 1 specific MSRP 3080 to test it out. I can set a max price so it won't accidentally pay $1300 for one xD. I can have it search for any number of GPU. People are claiming they were able to get a GPU with it after a few days, so we'll see.

If I still don't have a GPU by the end of the week, I'm buying this RTX 750 I found for $100. It's literally the only GPU I've found for under $200. Then I'll buy a R3 3100 to flash the BIOS. Amazon has a no questions asked 30 day, free returns policy.

The PSU I wanted finally went on sale today too, $15 off with an additional $5 off promo code, so scratch that off the list. 750W gold rated Super Flower, 10 year warranty ... very reputable brand, and it'll handle the 2x 8 pin MSRP 3080 I'm trying to get just fine.

Ohhhhhhhhh momma eff me ... just got an email from Newegg while writing this ... the 3400G is back in stock. Wow! I asked for a notification on that 3 months ago lol. I wanted the 3200G (no notification on that one), but ohhhh boy, at $169, that's tempting. I could start using my new PC by the time it and my PSU arrive by Monday/Tuesday. Plus I could get my BIOS flashed too. Oh geeez, what do I do? It seems like I got too many options going on right now after literally nothing for the past 3 months lol.

Now I'm just waiting for Reignman's Law to swoop in and crush my spirits somehow. After 7 months I can almost smell the finish line.

EDIT: Haha I knew there was a catch, the 3400G is non-refundable, so there goes that plan. I told you Reignman's Law works pretty fast.
Some newbie driver

#394 Post by Some newbie driver » 09 Mar 2021 23:37

Reignman wrote: 09 Mar 2021 21:55Well I can't flash the BIOS without a GPU lol. Maybe I'll have that solved soon.
The one on your old rig. As soon as you could flash the BIOS, you can move your old graphic card to the new PC. It will bottleneck it of course, but better to have a new PC with an old GPU that than to keep working on a completely old PC.
Reignman

#395 Post by Reignman » 10 Mar 2021 00:44

I could do that, but the old card is in pretty rough shape, so I'd rather not touch it. The fan is too loose, so I have it jerry rigged in my upside down case atm to keep it from sounding like a weed whacker. I'll need both PC operational for a few days while I setup the new PC, so I'd rather just wait until I get all the new parts. Not to mention if I got a bad part with the new PC, I'll need to keep using this pile of junk until I get it sorted out, so yeah I'd rather not screw up both PC's xD. She's a fragile girl. When I put the PC back together after it's cleaning, I usually have to play around with the GPU for a couple hours to get the PC to boot back up. I get the long beep during post indicating a display issue. Not sure if it's the GPU or the PCIe slot, but if I wiggle the card just right, I eventually get it to boot xD.

Although if I don't get the new PC operational soon, I'll have to take the old girl apart for a good cleaning and new thermal paste. There are no covers on the case anymore, so she gets filled up with dust pretty quickly and she's starting to act up again. Freezes up every other day now after going 4 months without one. Last October it froze up and corrupted the bootmgr, so that was the last time it got a good cleaning too. I gotta hold my breath every time it freezes up xD. 3 corrupt bootmgr's the past 3 years because of the freeze ups, so yeah, I'd like to avoid another. I figured maybe it was a thermal issue from dust build up, but sometimes it freezes up with the PC just idling with nothing open. A good cleaning takes care of the freezing though, so idk lol.

After 3 hours my bot hasn't found a 3080 yet ... I'm starting to think it'll never find anything haha j/k. The bot channels that I've been watching on YT haven't found any 3080 in the past 3 days either, so not sure what's going on there. Someone said Nvidia stopped making 3080's, which I find hard to believe. Well maybe, does TSMC make the GPU chips too? The CPU stock is much better these days. I see 5000 series in stock all the time now. I didn't need a shuffle to win the 5600X after all. Can't wait until I can say that about GPU's haha. Speaking of which, what the hell is taking Newegg so long to announce the winners today? After the last shuffle I didn't get notified until 1am that I didn't win.
Some newbie driver

#396 Post by Some newbie driver » 10 Mar 2021 09:04

As I told you, 3080 are a dead end product. NVidia isn't manufacturing no more their Founders ones and was supplying only chips to AIB to their own models. But from the point of view of the product portfolio and hierarchy, the 3080 is a nonsense. Was too near the 3070 in some things. Lacked too VRAM for its price tag when launched. Both things worsened with the launch of the AMD lineup, with that 6800XT too close and with a more appealing 16GB for prosumer market. And then, the final blow, was NVidia itself giving more VRAM to a mid-low tier card (the 3060, where it's even not going to be fully used) than to the 3080; what in the eyes of lots of consumers make the 3080 the last option to consider even if they got the opportunity to purchase one.

NVidia was forced to do a big gap in performance from RTX2000 to RTX3000 series. It has been their best inter-generational improvement in about 12 years (go imagine what earthquake would had been if not, with AMD then surpassing they by a lot). But then NVidia feared that would impact a lot their sales on Quadro and similar lineups. Those use to be for a long time in the previous generation regarding the gaming lineups; so they have less base performance balanced with the activation of other features that are hardlocked on gaming series. So they can keep selling old-manufacturing process chips at a VERY profitable margin. The big leap in performance in the RTX3000 could had damaged that profitable cow-milking on the Quadro market. To avoid that to happen, they capped the amount of VRAM of all their cards with the exception of the 3090 (that anyways it's a bit of a nonsense product); so they wouldn't suit the needs of most Quadro-targeted users. And then AMD did their move and all the NVidia plot was blown in the air.

Be sure that soon we will have a new flamboyant 3080 Ti/Super/whatever-other-stupid-suffix that will be exactly the same than a 3080, maybe slightly better clocked due the manufacturing maturity, but with the 16+ VRAM it should had got since the begining. The only problem they have to still not release this card is that the GDDR6X is a watts-hogger on cards that already have an enormous power consume; but they will sort it out eventually. Of course, when they did that, the card will appear way expensive (expect $900+ on MSRP) than the 3080 even being almost the same (and costing the extra chips of VRAM a few $ only).

Regards
Reignman

#397 Post by Reignman » 13 Mar 2021 03:39

Well I'd only want the 3080 for mining. It's the 2nd most profitable card in that regard, just behind the 3090. And the only 3080 I'm after is the MSI Ventus which is selling at the $699 MSRP. It only has 2x 8 pin connectors, so it might not have as much hashing power as the higher end 3080's, but I know it's way better than any 3070 when it comes to mining. Bitcoin and ethereum are back on the rise. The 3080 would eventually be a permanent mining card, while I saved up to buy a 2nd PC. It's crazy to not be mining with an idle GPU right now.

My first choice right now is a 3060ti, which is only $60 over MSRP, but it has a great hash rate for it's price tag. Again, better than the 3070. I have my bot scanning amazon 24/7 for any drops of the EVGA 3060ti, which it will auto buy if it finds one under $500. It alerted me to one yesterday, but that one was $950 lol. I can have it search for multiple cards, but then the refresh is longer in between each specific card, so I thought the best strategy was to just focus on 1 specific card.

The YT stream that I'm watching for drops, sometimes finds the same card dropping twice in a row within minutes of each other, so if I see a drop I like, I'll quickly have the bot scan for that card in case it does drop a 2nd time because it's quicker than I am. Hasn't happened yet though ofc lol. Otherwise the bot spends all day/night looking for the EVGA 3060ti. The MSI Ventus 3080 just doesn't drop often enough to scan for it right now.

I found a 2nd bot that works on Best Buy, so I'll get that up and running soon too. Speaking of FE cards. Best Buy dropped the 3090 FE and 3070 FE today within minutes of each other, so I quickly jumped on the 3080 FE page to camp it, but that model didn't drop, ofc lol. Reignman's Law etc. I briefly thought I had outsmarted the system there lol.

I'll even try to snag a 6700 when they drop on the 18th. I contacted Best Buy about reserving me an EVGA 3060ti the other day, and they said they can only reserve an item when it first launches. Who knew? So you know what I'm thinking lol? I'll be contacting them again when the 6700 launches. I got the transcript of that chat. It's a binding contract as far as I'm concerned xD.

Then there's Newegg. They only had 2 shuffles this week, and both were lousy. I lost both too. I had to enter for a $750 3070 yesterday lol. It was the only option. It's getting desperate. Slim pickings. Other than the big Best Buy drop this morning, the GPU drops are becoming fewer and farther between lately. And smaller.
Reignman

#398 Post by Reignman » 16 Mar 2021 03:27

Hot damn @Some newbie driver, we finally did it. Our misery is going to be over soon. My misery of finding a GPU, and your misery of having to tolerate my BS lol. Well, I'll at least by onto the next chapter of misery, but the search misery is finally over. It only took 8 months. I still haven't found my dream 3000 series GPU, but just a bit ago I found a 1650 Super for $220 on Newegg lol. It was that or a GTX 750 for $100. I figure the 1650s will have better resale value.

First time I've seen a 1600 series card below $400 in awhile. I was still hesitant to buy it however, so I left it in my cart for a bit while I quickly looked around one more time. When I came back it was still there so I said, damn it Reign, just end it already. I can sell it on ebay for $220 easy when/if I finally find my 3060ti or whatever. And I'll have the BIOS flashed by Monday. I bet you thought I forgot that part haha.

But yeah, the GPU stock has been absolute trash this past week, and Newegg only had a $540 3060 in their shuffle today (and I lost again), after only having a $750 3070 in their last shuffle on Thursday. And that's it, no other 3000 stock. I took that as a pretty bad sign lol. Then I heard rumors that they've stopped making GPU to give the auto industry priority on the production line, and that it'll be until May before things pick-up again. Don't know if any of that's true or not, but based what little stock I've seen the past week, it seems legit. I mean stock was already bad the past few months, but it's been extra worse lately. And I don't just mean miners and scalpers are getting them quicker, I mean there haven't been many drops period for anyone.

So by next week, my build misery can start. I'm finally going to find out which parts don't work, and how many RMA's I'm going to have to deal with. I have a feeling Reignman's Law isn't done with me yet xD. Can't wait!! All I know is, a 1650 Super is going to feel like a 3090 compared to what I'm using now. Look back at that very first post, I said I was going to get a 1650 Super bahahahaha. I just didn't know it'd take 8 months.
Some newbie driver

#399 Post by Some newbie driver » 16 Mar 2021 13:57

Well, seems your walk trip through the desert is finally ending. :lol:

You know what we want to see once you had the new PC working. ;)
Reignman

#400 Post by Reignman » 18 Mar 2021 17:40

Some newbie driver wrote: 16 Mar 2021 13:57Well, seems your walk trip through the desert is finally ending.
Whelp, I spoke too soon :evil: ... Reignman's Law strikes again. Wow wow wow, they canceled my order ... 3 days later. How is that even possible? If it's because they're out of stock, why did it take this long? Ugh! This is the first time I've actually been pissed off during this entire 8 month process. To make matters worse, I could have bought a 1660 Super at MSRP this morning, but didn't because I thought I had the 1650 on the way.

I have a CPU arriving today to flash my MB, and the GPU was supposed to be here Saturday. I have to return the CPU in 30 days lol. FML! I guess I'll have to use my crappy 9800GT and hope it doesn't crash and brick the MB while the BIOS is updating. That's the main reason I wanted to use the new GPU. My PC has been crashing a lot lately, and I'm not sure what it is.

Does anyone still deny that Reignman's Law is real lol? I'll be back later to talk about my bricked MB.

I entered the Newegg shuffle on 4 different 6700xt's this morning at $479. I didn't plan on buying any of them had I won, but I guess I have to now. I really really don't want a 6700 lol. Not at that price. It's only about as good as a 3060ti. I guess I can always sell it later.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”