Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

WerewolfCustoms

Re: Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

#191 Post by WerewolfCustoms » 10 Nov 2020 16:35

A lot of people working from home had to buy or upgrade their home PCs.

I'm going for the 5900X simply because I want to. And since I'm on R9 now, I want to stay on R9.
Like I said, I have a good opportunity to sell mine, otherwise I wouldn't be upgrading (just yet). And, it depends if I can get a new CPU anyways.
Some newbie driver

#192 Post by Some newbie driver » 10 Nov 2020 18:44

Well, it's expected that the CPU shortage on the new AMD wouldn't be so terrific as the GPU counterpart...

Unless the reviews of the 6000 series GPUs confirm that the improvement using the smart memory bond with a 5000 CPU series is so good that everybody turns crazy wanting to purchase one of those :lol:

People that know about those things said "wait till the end of the year, nice stuff will arrive". And they were right. But I'm sure no one of them could had foreseen such craziness on the whole computers parts market.
WerewolfCustoms

#193 Post by WerewolfCustoms » 11 Nov 2020 12:10

I started looking into a new PC about 6 months ago. It was just before the Intel 10th gen launch. I knew about the upcoming Nvidia and AMD Radeon launches, but I was not expecting the AMD 5000 series.
In any case, I couldn't wait too long, so I waited to see how Intel 10th gen will perform. It wasn't _that_ impressive, so I went with R9. I got a very good deal (-40%) on a 5700XT GPU, so I bought it like a placeholder.
Will slowly do some upgrades over the next year. :) ... I guess it never ends.
Some newbie driver

#194 Post by Some newbie driver » 11 Nov 2020 17:02

Never... blessed are those who don't have our knowledge. They are the ones who feel true happiness with a new computer. We are always thinking we should had wait a bit more or in the next change to do. :lol:
Reignman

#195 Post by Reignman » 13 Nov 2020 07:47

Very true, if I would have just built the first PC I wanted 5 months ago and never did any research, I would have been using it this whole time and I'd probably be content, not knowing it was a lousy PC lol. It hasn't been fun watching prices everyday and doing a ton of research since, but hopefully it ends up being worth it. After I get it built it'll be nice if I can go 5-10 years until I have to go through this again xD. I just want to be done with it. Some days I get so tempted to just order what I need at the current prices to get it over with, but somehow I find the strength to keep waiting haha. If I want a 5000 series CPU and a 3000 series GPU, I have no choice but to wait a little longer. Landing those would push it closer to the 10 year mark.
Some newbie driver

#196 Post by Some newbie driver » 13 Nov 2020 09:32

It took me 6 months to pack the entire PC build I did previous at the actual one (that was easy, my mobo and/or CPU died so I had to hurry :lol:). It was also a time where there was a lot of new stuff coming and I had to wait to pack it all (I've luck although the scammers and bots for purchase weren't a trend :roll:). So yes, I know well the wait and process could be frustrating but it has its rewards in the long term. Searching for good parts at a correct budget results in a pleasant very long lasting system. I'm using the same case, power source, hard drives and ventilation systems than on previous build. Just had to change the core of the mobo, CPU and RAM and added an M.2 SSD. So at the end I spent a lot of time some years ago but some of those parts if nothing weird happens are going to serve me for near 16 years.
plykkegaard

#197 Post by plykkegaard » 13 Nov 2020 09:53

Speaking of cases / cabinets, this is the one thing where I failed the most
Needed to buy new cases as GPU cards grew bigger and bigger and then closed water cooling for the cpu also needs space

Our worst buy was a Radeon 295x2 with closed cooling
The card ran well but extremly hot, the temperatures in the room were unbearable even at winter above 30
The card was known for heating problems, internal it was ok though
Lack of knowledge on how to position the motor / hoses might have contributed to the problem

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
Some newbie driver

#198 Post by Some newbie driver » 13 Nov 2020 11:14

Well, the case I purchased back in time was pretty big (full tower format) because I had a crossfire config back in time. Now that it's not a thing I've more room. It's not well suited for AIO liquid cooling, but it has very good airflow, plenty of vents and as it has sound dampening lateral panels (instead of fancy useless glass ones) is quiet and fresh enough so i don't care about liquid cooling. The only problem is that the whole computer weights a ton (although a bit less now that it only has 1 GPU inside).

But in general, it's true that cases is one of the things that I find most difficult to nail when selecting parts for a build. Reviewers use to talk only about fancy cases with glass, RGB and gimmicks, while I need to search products suited for workplaces that don't like to be converted in discotheques. So, it's a question a bit of faith that the case selected doesn't have any nasty surprise and if one good is found, that the model last long in the dealers stocks.
Reignman

#199 Post by Reignman » 14 Nov 2020 21:43

Yeah as far as cases goes, I always go with a big one. I like room to expand if necessary down the road, and for ventilation. I still prefer air cooling, so the bigger it is the more fans I can slap in it haha. The case I bought recently is big enough for a 330mm (13 inch) GPU, so I think I'm safe with 99% of the GPU's out there. I did see an MSI 3090 at 335mm xD.

Now as far as these prices go, this industry continues to blow my mind. Everything is completely backward and headed the wrong direction. The 3600 is now at the highest price I've seen it at $245, and I've been watching for 5 months now. The 3600X is cheaper at $240, and the XT cheapest at $233 lol. Try to figure that out. And the 3600 keeps selling at those prices.

GPU's are headed the wrong direction too. I can't find a 2060 under $340 now, a 2070 under $460, or a 1660 Super under $250.

I get that more and more people are working and schooling from home now, but they've been doing that since March, so why is demand still so high 8 months later? Plus you'd figure more of them would be trying to get laptops or prebuilds, not build their own desktops.
Some newbie driver

#200 Post by Some newbie driver » 14 Nov 2020 22:19

O_o those 3600 series prices are mental. It has no sense than the best of the 3 has the lowest price. :lol: Well, better for you if you had to choose. A different history is that the overall price doesn't drop enough for your target budget.

The graphic cards are more normal, NVidia screwed everything up with the failed release of the 3000 series. We will see what happens next week with AMD release. The demand and eagerness of people is so high that they will all disappear fast for sure; but I've heard from good sources that AMD has A LOT more stock to put on that Q4 that the one Nvidia could had delivered (even NVidia releasing almost 2 months before). That should mean that most people could finally start to sell their old graphics and put less pressure on lower models dropping finally those prices to sensate prices (considering the difference in performance, previous gen GPU prices should plummet)

But yeah, weird year this 2020

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”