Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

Reignman

Re: Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

#371 Post by Reignman » 19 Feb 2021 01:37

I heard Nvidia plans to nerf the 3060's to make them 50% less efficient for cryptomining by using drivers that will detect mining, which they claim can't be hacked/disabled. Which I suppose could be good news as far as stock/availability goes. And I learned that 5 minutes after looking into doing a little mining of my own lol. Reignman's Law in full effect. And by "a little mining", I mean with just my 1 GPU while I'm sleeping or when it's idle. I heard I could profit about $7-10 a day with just a single 3060ti. That could pay for my entire rig in less than a year, so it's very tempting. I'm starting to understand why the GPU market is so miserable haha.

Knowing I could make a little money with it, I'm considering the 3060ti or even a 3070 now. The upgrade would pay for itself in a month. And if I bought a 2nd GPU, I could turn my old PC into a full time mining rig, even with the core 2 quad. Yep, that's how it begins doesn't it lol?

Nvidia is also working on a GPU strictly for mining, without display ports etc, but that's been tried before and they weren't very popular because they have no resale value to gamers, only other miners. Which makes sense. Can't sell a CMP HX at twice the price on ebay haha. I might be interested in one instead of a 2nd gaming GPU though because I don't want to become a hypocrite and contribute to the problem.

Fun fact: Had I bought a MicroBT Whatsminer M31S for $2000 back in July instead of trying to build a new PC, It would have been paid for by now and I would have had enough leftover to build the sweet new PC too lol. That badboy profits $21/day. Geez, why haven't I looked into this before?
Some newbie driver

#372 Post by Some newbie driver » 19 Feb 2021 20:37

Those new NVidia moves are realy useless but for them to still make more money and f***up everyone of their customers.

You can hear a good amount of reasons of why on here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg__YdXbRtI
Reignman

#373 Post by Reignman » 20 Feb 2021 22:47

Haha so in other words, pretty much what I alluded to lol? The other day I stumbled onto some info about cryptomining and how I could earn maybe up to $10 a day with just a single 3060ti, by installing a simple program (confirmed by others), and thought that might be a nice harmless way to slowly pay for this new rig while it sat idle. And when I clicked on the next link 5 minutes later, I read about Nvidia nerfing the 3060, the card I've been waiting for this whole time LMAO. If that's not Reignman's Law in full effect, I don't know what is. That's Reignman's Law in record time in fact.

That's alright though, because suddenly sticking to the "budget" isn't as important. I no longer feel guilty about getting the 5600X and I'm feeling better about getting a 3060ti or 3070. I'm now even looking at better quality gold rated PSU's. I could have been trying to get a GPU already though, so it wasted a little of my time. If I can even get one. The 3070's are still a little too expensive for my taste at $650+ though. I would buy one at it's $500 MSRP, but I don't even think I can get a 3060ti at that price atm. Yeah I'm kinda screwed now lol. The 3060 would have been ideal if you could mine with it. Maybe Nvidia will reconsider if they get enough blow back.

How many casual miners intend to mine with the 3060 though? It can't be that high. I imagine the vast majority of people who are waiting for a 3060 are just going to use it for gaming, so it'll certainly help them out. And if it's the only card I can get, then I'll have to ditch my own mining plans, cuz I don't know how much longer I can wait before I go completely insane.

Speaking of PSU's, I found this interesting video of a guy (who seems to know what he's doing) testing various 650W PSU's with a 3080. A lower TDP 3080 mind you, and at stock settings, but the total system (i7 10700k) was only drawing about 450W with spikes up to 480 while benchmarking one of the most demanding games. They all handled it fine, but he didn't have as much luck with the 550W PSU's lol. Makes me feel a little better about future upgrades getting a gold rated 750W PSU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_rTtT5UO7Q

As you know, GN also did a similar video several months ago with PSU's, but that was before the 5000 series CPU's and 3000 series GPU's came out, so it was good to get some numbers on a 3080. Too bad he has a small channel so it's been hard for him to get GPU's to test. He also does some pretty in depth reviews and benchmarks of PSU's. He already scared me away from the EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G5, which I was considering buying lol. They can be loud and aren't very efficient. Many reviews did complain of an annoying coil wind. They've been $30 off recently. A 750W Super Flower performs very well by comparison, but I just missed a sale on those the other day. Both come with a 10 year warranty.
Some newbie driver

#374 Post by Some newbie driver » 21 Feb 2021 12:50

I would say you to consider again the possibility of an AMD GPU, just to have more options in the middle of that damn scarcity.

But AMD themselves have already said that the upcoming 6700 (or was 6700xt, don't remember) will arrive in low amounts. :roll:

BTW the shady movement of NVidia is not because so much people mine with their 3060 at home. The movement is to avoid big miners to buy hundreds of them. And not because NVidia cares about gamers not finding stock. It's because in 1 year approx, when the current crypto-bubble ends, all those cards in hands of big miners would had flood the market and endanger the sales of the future RTX 4000 series (as like the end of the 2018 buble put so many 1080Ti in the second-hand market that was one of the factors for the fiasco of the RTX2000 sales).

Here Linus tell it perfectly, in addition to the previous video I linked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfIibTBaoMM

Regards
Reignman

#375 Post by Reignman » 22 Feb 2021 05:27

I would love to buy a GPU and I check for their availability 5 times a day at least, and I have it setup to be auto notified at all the online retailers, but I'm starting to think they're not producing them anymore because in the 6 weeks that I've been looking for one, not a single notification. The only people selling them are scalpers at twice the price.

Haha and yeah, everyone is theorizing about how Nvidia is just trying to prevent a flooded 2nd hand market that will hurt them when the crypto bubble bursts. If that's their ulterior motive, then they're late to the party because they've already sold warehouses full of 3000 series to crypto farms. The 3060's won't make a dent in the 2nd hand market by the time 4000 launches. But the biggest thing is, unless those CMP's sell for a fraction of the price of a gaming GPU, miners aren't going to buy them anyway, because they can't be sold back to gamers.

But here's the other thing, Nvidia claims it's only turning lower quality silicon into CMP's (binning). Chips that weren't good enough to be sold as gaming units, so they claim it won't hurt supply, but that doesn't make any sense unless 90% of their silicon is of low quality because I imagine at least 90% of the current supply of GPU's have been going to farms and scalpers, if not more, and it's not like a crypto farm is going to stop buying gaming GPU's once the limited supply of CMP's have been exhausted. Besides, will a 50% hash rate deter a crypto farm from buying them anyway, if there's nothing else available? 50% is still enough to turn a profit in the current market, plus they can resell them later, so having a 1000 of those would be better than nothing.

I thought I almost got lucky though on my first day of looking for a 3060ti. I found this one in stock at Newegg, or so I thought. It's an open box card and it's selling at $122 over MSRP, but I was willing to live with it to end my misery. Unfortunately when I click the "add to cart" button I got that error message. It played that game with me for about 15 minutes before it listed the card as out of stock.

[ external image ]

So that gets me to a solution I thought of for this scalping problem. I thought of it when I was looking for a scalping script of my own. In the script, you have to manually enter the link to all the GPU's you want to watch. In other words, these scripts rely on the fact that these GPU's are being sold from the same static link over and over, so why don't retailers generate a new link every time they post a new shipment of GPU's? The reason I even saw a "add to cart" button with the ASUS above was because it had a unique URL. I assume because it was an open box refurb. The new ASUS TUF 3060ti's have the URL N82E16814126471 on Newegg ... this open box had the same URL except with an "R" at the end. Which means it slipped through all the scripts and only people who were actually looking at the site saw it. If a new link was generated with each shipment, it would render scalping scripts useless until they came up with a more sophisticated script.

The URL with the R in it still works if you type it in manually, but it's not on the page when you search for 3060ti's. It was when it was still in stock. The only thing I didn't like seeing on that page however was how it says "limit 5 per customer" lol. Nobody needs 5 GPU unless they're farming. The 5000 series seems less scarce, and they have a limit of 1 per customer with those.
Some newbie driver

#376 Post by Some newbie driver » 22 Feb 2021 18:26

The URLs of those products don't use to change because the URL is derived from the internal code in the database every product receives when it's created the first time. If you want the URL to change you have a lot of nasty side effects. And, as most of those web pages are just using CRM programmed by other companies; is not that they want to start messing around with very complicated code that they don't know and that it could cause a lot of money loses.
Reignman

#377 Post by Reignman » 23 Feb 2021 01:38

Reignman wrote: 22 Feb 2021 05:27I would love to buy a GPU and I check for their availability 5 times a day at least, and I have it setup to be auto notified at all the online retailers
Ahh dang, typo there ... I meant APU. Haven't been able to find the 3200G or any of the G series since I started looking 6 weeks ago or something like that. They're never in stock anywhere so I suspect they're probably not being produced anymore. Which is beyond stupid on AMD's part given the current GPU situation. They could make a lot of money selling temporary APU's to people. I imagine that's a completely different production line from the regular 3000 series, so what's the problem?
Some newbie driver wrote: 22 Feb 2021 18:26The URLs of those products don't use to change because the URL is derived from the internal code in the database every product receives when it's created the first time. If you want the URL to change you have a lot of nasty side effects. And, as most of those web pages are just using CRM programmed by other companies; is not that they want to start messing around with very complicated code that they don't know and that it could cause a lot of money loses.
Well that's a shame. So you're saying they're not serious about the scalper problem haha? It's not going to stop me from bugging them about it. I've already been stuffing their suggestion box with it, and I've been posting it on videos, so hopefully it picks up some traction. Like you said, us DIY people are a small piece of the pie, but we're the most vocal lol.

And oh man, I'm starting to see leaked prices of the 3060. MSRP of $485-515. FML, KMN. I knew I wouldn't get one for $329, but jeeez. They'll sell too, but only because you can't find a GPU, but why the hell would anyone pay that when you can get a 3060ti around the same price, which doesn't have it's hash rate nerfed? I don't think I'll even try to get a 3060 at that price, not worth it. I think I'm definitely going to have to get a scalper script setup though because Newegg never includes the 3060ti in it's shuffle program. Mostly the 3070 and sometimes the 80 and 90. Maybe I'll even pony up for a 3070 if I can get one around $600. Wow wow wow, the GPU market is beyond crazy. You watch, I'll pay that much for a 3070 and the crypto market will crash soon after lol.
mackintosh

#378 Post by mackintosh » 23 Feb 2021 10:26

Even with the hash rate nerfed the 3060 is still profitable for mining less popular crypto. It won't be the first choice, but in this market it'll do.
Some newbie driver

#379 Post by Some newbie driver » 24 Feb 2021 20:09

Reignman wrote: 23 Feb 2021 01:38Well that's a shame. So you're saying they're not serious about the scalper problem haha?
No, what I'm saying is that there's a lot of good reasons for those URL to don't change and try to make them "randomly" change even pointing to the same product to try avoid scalper bots would have way worse side effects than the evil been tried to avoid. Go imagine that due those attempts Newegg would loose track about who payed what and sent your finally purchased GPU to somebody else (that, get for sure, will not return it). That would be the ultimate Reignman effect.

And about the crypto mining, those NVidia movements aren't going to change anything but to make sure they will squeeze more money from everybody's pockets, now and in the future.

But it seems that, so far, general consumers desire to be abused and mistreated.
Reignman

#380 Post by Reignman » 25 Feb 2021 00:49

Ahhhh dang it, Newegg already has the URL's posted for the 3060's. They take you to a page not found atm, but the point is, now the bots can enter the links into their little scalper scripts before they launch. I was going to hit refresh all night thinking normal shoppers had a chance to get one of the first ones because the bots couldn't scrape the first batch, but there goes that idea. Nice job Newegg.
mackintosh wrote: 23 Feb 2021 10:26Even with the hash rate nerfed the 3060 is still profitable for mining less popular crypto. It won't be the first choice, but in this market it'll do.
Yeah only ethereum is nerfed, but it's by far the most profitable atm.

According to leaked numbers, they're not quite nerfed to 50%, it's more like 60%. The hash rate was about the same as a 2070 or 2080, but calculators estimated them mining about as much as a 2060 (about $4.50/day) which is still profitable. I don't know if any other coin is as profitable atm, but that could change in the future. The 3060ti and 3070 can do about $8 a day, and the biggest jump is the 3080 at $14/d, and 3090 at $17. If I had a spare $1000 laying around, I'd be trying to get a 3080. If you can get a 3060 for $450, it'd still pay for itself in 100 days, but a 3080 would be 3x as profitable. Had I gotten a single 3080 at launch, it would have already made $2000. I might still try to get a 3060, and then sell it later after I get my hands on a 3080, if crypto mining is still profitable, which I don't see why it wouldn't be.
Some newbie driver wrote: 24 Feb 2021 20:09No, what I'm saying is that there's a lot of good reasons for those URL to don't change and try to make them "randomly" change even pointing to the same product to try avoid scalper bots would have way worse side effects than the evil been tried to avoid. Go imagine that due those attempts Newegg would loose track about who payed what and sent your finally purchased GPU to somebody else (that, get for sure, will not return it). That would be the ultimate Reignman effect.
Oh I think they could figure it out and keep it all organized. What about an encrypted URL instead of random? Which would basically serve the same purpose as far as bots are concerned.
Encrypted URL Parameters are similar to Dynamic URL Parameters except they are encrypted and not human-readable. This means they cannot be tampered with by website visitors - making them more secure and useful.
Some newbie driver wrote: 24 Feb 2021 20:09But it seems that, so far, general consumers desire to be abused and mistreated.
The alternative is waiting another year or 2 for the market to stabilize. Refusing to be abused is how I ended up in this situation to begin with lol. Refusing to pay $330 for a 2060 when I thought I could get one for $300, or refusing to pay $180 for a 3600 when I thought I could get one for $160. I wish I looked into crypto mining a little sooner, I would have been less concerned about the budget. Could have had a new PC by now, and maybe most of it paid for too lol. Yeah, now that I crunch the numbers, a single 2060 would have mined $800 worth of coin since August, when I started this thread. I don't need more reasons to hate myself. :lol:

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”