Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

Reignman

Re: Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

#171 Post by Reignman » 31 Oct 2020 07:56

That was the first time you fired it up? And does it work? It's possible some excess residue or solder burned away? And how do you know it was the MB and not something else like the PSU?

I've never had a PC smoke on me, but about 20 years ago I had a PSU shoot sparks and pretty much toast the entire rig xD. That was when I was still buying pre-builds, and I think they have all kinds of protections against PSU shorts now. But yeah you might want to get that looked at if it's not working.

Some newbie driver

#172 Post by Some newbie driver » 31 Oct 2020 08:35

There's a range of very cheap PSU units that are usually found on prebuilt cheap computers but also used a lot in repairs (a lot of people don't understand why it's a good idea to spend over 40 bucks on a PSU when there are lots under 15 :roll:). That kind of PSU are known as "Chinese firecrackers", very fitting name indeed. And anybody building a gaming rig (even a basic budget one) should be stay away from those.

If you aren't sure of the quality of a PSU, one very rude but fairly accurate approximation is "the heavier they are, the better". That weight use to come from bigger radiators inside to cool transistors and other components that work on very hot temps, more filtering and protection components, better cabling with more copper in it causing less resistance... The best PSU in the market could be easily used as a deadly weapon . :lol:

In your case Tails, probably you had got bad luck with the motherboard. But whatever they said to you on the repair shop, unplug the PSU cables that are connected to anything in your PC and look there's no connector in there that looks noticeable darker. It could be signal of a burnt line due over-current.

Regards

Tails

#173 Post by Tails » 31 Oct 2020 15:35

My power supply is made by Corsair and that PSU company I never heard of any issues.

My dad found a possible smoke issue with my B550 motherboard where it might be a bad capacitor
like to explore new areas of maps for both ATS and ETS2.

WOT profile https://worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/4885036

plykkegaard

#174 Post by plykkegaard » 31 Oct 2020 15:48

I have had a Corsair 1000W bail out on me
A bit unfortunate, but everything else were ok after a replace
I can happen
Office moved to Fort Collins, Colorado

Some newbie driver

#175 Post by Some newbie driver » 31 Oct 2020 16:44

Tails wrote:
31 Oct 2020 15:35
My power supply is made by Corsair and that PSU company I never heard of any issues.
The first PSU part I mentioned was more about that one sparkling that Reignman explained; it's typical on bad quality PSU and hence the nickname of Chinese firecrackers.

About your specific problem, as yourself mentioned and I agreed, seems more probable a motherboard problem due some faulty component. But anyways, I would check the contacts on the PSU after such kind of problem. A faulty electrical component in the motherboard that could cause a shortage is going to ramp up the current flowing on one line one instant before the PSU will activate its over-current protections (supposing it has some, probably yes in your case). That could cause the kind of damage I mentioned.

Last but not least, @Reignman I remember you mention you are looking for a semi or full modular PSU. Aim better for semis. Full modular ones have only sense if you pretend to exchange the default cables by other fancy ones colored matching the look of your hardware. That's not your case and you will save a few bucks (or spent them on slightly better PSU) purchasing a semi-modular one.

Regards

GT182

#176 Post by GT182 » 01 Nov 2020 20:58

Tails is it registered? If so you could put in a warranty claim for a new one if it's less than 3 years old. ;)
Gary - CB code name: CW
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm ATS addicted to doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:

Some newbie driver

#177 Post by Some newbie driver » 01 Nov 2020 22:36

It's just a few months old as much; he said it's a B550 motherboard and that's a pretty recent released chipset for AMD Zen2/Zen3 platforms. If I understood it well, he already send it to repair.

Tails

#178 Post by Tails » 02 Nov 2020 16:02

My parents are currently waiting for a RMA response from Gigabyte before I can send it back for repair or replacement.

Edit: just got a response from Gigabyte and will be able to get an RMA for my motherboard tomorrow hopefully for a replacement motherboard so I can build and enjoy my new gaming PC.
like to explore new areas of maps for both ATS and ETS2.

WOT profile https://worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/4885036

Some newbie driver

#179 Post by Some newbie driver » 05 Nov 2020 17:20

Well, Ryzen 5000 are here and Intel Cores seems to go hiding into the dark corner to cry.

Sweet mother of mercy, the increase in performance is brutal. To think that a customer wanted to change a workstation two weeks ago and they didn't want to wait; their 3800XT is a nice one, but at the side of the new ones released today... OUCH!

PS: Unfortunately for you @Reignman, AMD decided to bump a bit more their prices at last moment (after all, why not? they have a winner product, they don't need to play cutting prices). That means that probably the prices on Zen2 ones like the 3600X you are waiting wouldn't drop so much. :(

plykkegaard

#180 Post by plykkegaard » 05 Nov 2020 17:48

Current X570 and B550 boards will support the new AMD, a bios upgrade is required before installing
Unsurden if other boards will be supported with bios upgrades
Office moved to Fort Collins, Colorado

Return to “Off topic and other voices”