Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

Reignman

Re: Potential New PC Build, Thoughts?

#21 Post by Reignman » 19 Aug 2020 04:03

Haha yeah I'm definitely itching to get started, but I need to reach that piece of mind phase first, and wait for a sale on that R5 3600.

I'm still unsure about a specific MB, so I'm going over the features of the x570's in my price range to see which ones fit my needs better. Like the case I want has 6 fan slots, and the MB I like only has 3 fan headers, not that I would need more than 3 fans, but I like options. I was putting too much value on USB 3 over USB 2 as well. 3 is about 10 times faster, but it's only useful for data transfer and doesn't affect keyboard/mouse performance at all, so at most I'd only need 1 or 2 USB 3 ports.

I'm also now considering the RTX 2060 over the 1660 Super lol. It's $65 more, but the 1660 Super still might be a little too weak for this build, even with a future upgrade in mind. Maybe I can find a few more cuts I can make elsewhere, or wait for better prices on some of these parts to justify the extra $65 I need for the GPU. Like 3200 speed RAM haha j/k. The 1660 Super is good enough for the casual 1080p gaming, so it's not that important of an upgrade. Especially if the monitor is crap anyway.

And I found some conflicting info about how much RAM I might need for a decent multimedia rig. 32 might be the sweet spot after all. So I might end up going over my $1000 budget here, but like I said earlier, I can always try to sell some of these parts (CPU, GPU, RAM, monitor) down the road when I'm ready to upgrade, to recoup some of the cost, which opens up my options a little more.

Some newbie driver

#22 Post by Some newbie driver » 19 Aug 2020 18:01

Don't even think on purchase an RTX card. The only real difference between RTX20 and GTX16 series are the presence or absence of special processing units for IA-kind of calculus and others that work only for ray tracing in graphics. You are not going to use none of those in the immediate future. At most ray tracing in a few years when it would be more mainstream but for then you will have A LOT more graphic cards that will support it (and market competence in that subject between NVidia and AMD). Not to mention than you can count with your hands games that support ray tracing actually.

To purchase now an RTX card is to trow money to the trash bin. In fact, GTX16 series (despite it's lower number) were created AFTER the RTX20 series because sales of the 20's were lower due people wasn't willing to pay the useless overprice of the RTX20 cards. In other words, NVidia had to "downgrade" their last generation cards (something NEVER seen before in such extend in consumer IT) because their new flagships were completely out of the market necessities.

And about the motherboard, with an X570 you will have all the potential present and future in all the interfaces (PCI-e Gen4 in all the M.2, lots of USB3.x included types C...) while with a B550 you will have to sacrifice some of those because the chipset is linked to the CPU with PCI-e gen3 (not gen 4 as on X570). You don't loose any feature on a B550 motherboard but the slight price comes with tradeoffs. It depends on you. But really, with that X570 TUF you found at just 15$; I would not change my mind anymore.

Regards

Reignman

#23 Post by Reignman » 25 Aug 2020 10:03

Ahhh good to know about the RTX cards. Maybe I'll stick with the 1660 super and save $80. Unless I find a pretty good sale on the RTX. It wasn't really the ray tracing that sold me, it also gives a boost in performance over the 1660 super, which is still technically inferior for my build even though it's not really for gaming. The 1660 ti isn't worth the price for the small increase in performance over the super, so the 2060 is the next step up and it doesn't cost much more than a ti, but blows it away in performance.

I just bought a 24 inch (23.8) 1080p 144Hz IPS monitor too because the price was too good to pass up at $160. I'll have to replace it in 5 years if I want to upgrade to 1440p, but it's worth it, and I can always try to sell it if it's still working. It's on back order and won't arrive until October, so I have plenty of time to cancel it if I change my mind or find something better, which I doubt I will. I haven't seen too many 144Hz panels under $200 and this one had pretty good reviews. I also did some more research on g-sync and apparently with the latest Nvidia drivers, g-sync is now compatible on a lot of freesync monitors, so I'll be able to take advantage of that too with this particular model.

Still waiting for the R5 3600 to come down in price. It's down to $175 at some places, but looking at price history, it's been as low as $155 the last couple of months. I'm still in no hurry. I have a pretty good idea of the parts I want now, so I'm in price watching mode. I don't need to buy everything at once so I can buy the parts one by one as I find a good deal on them. I'm still hoping to squeeze into 32GB of 3600 RAM. Which I can easily do if I keep shaving $10-20 off with sales on these other parts. The RAM price itself hasn't budged much in the past 6 months.

Speaking of RAM, what do you know about overclocking 3200 to 3600? I've been looking into that a bit lately. That could save me $40 (32GB 3200 is $100 and 3600 is $140). I know I have to play around with timings and voltage too, and it can be a pain lol.

I'm set on the motherboard. I found 4-5 affordable x570's so I just gotta take a closer look at the features they each offer, look at some reviews, and make a decision, then wait for a sale.

Some newbie driver

#24 Post by Some newbie driver » 25 Aug 2020 11:24

I would not advise to overclock RAM over their specs. As I explained you, any module over 2.400 is already an overclock over the industrial standard. That means companies buy batches of memory chips, assemble them in modules, test them, and label them at the point where they are stable.

If you take 2 modules of the same model range, of the same manufacturer and built in very similar dates; being rated one at 3.200 and the other at 3.600; chances are high that both modules are physically identical (exactly same memory chips and PCB) and the rating difference is just a label and a firmware config because the 3.200 one could not achieve stability at 3.600 during manufacturing tests (with the same latency values as the 3.600 "native" module ). So, if you take that 3.200 one and try to push it to 3.600; it probably could be done but also probably with worse latencies and at voltages over recommended values that will stress more the motherboards and the memory controller inside the CPU.

It doesn't worth the effort and the risk on a new computer (except for people who swim on money pools). That's the kind of things one does when the computer is old and you to squeeze all the performance it has left until its burnt before to change it. Exactly what I did with my previous one, I cranked it gaining more than 15% extra performance for several months until I fused something after an intensive 5hours of video codec with the CPU at 100% :lol:

Regards

Reignman

#25 Post by Reignman » 27 Aug 2020 12:15

Well maybe I won't have to do that after all lol, my procrastination might finally be paying off though. RAM and SSD prices are expected to drop again soon, so maybe I'll get the 32GB of 3600 at a good price. I definitely want 2x16 which is why I looked into overclocking 3200.

Meanwhile, the damn R5 3600 has shot up to $200 everywhere. It's gone up 30% over the past month. Walmart had it for $155 exactly a month ago. Micro Center still has it for $170, but again they don't ship and the nearest store is too far away. Oh well, my monitor won't arrive until mid October so I can wait awhile longer.

Been price watching a bunch of parts on several sites, so just waiting for a price drop or sale so I can get the best deal on each part.

Did more research on the RTX 2060, and yeah the ray tracing feature really hurts it's performance, but with ray tracing disabled the card performs really well and is worth the $60-70 higher price over the 1660 super IMO. Tom's Hardware has it ranked above the 1070 ti, and it's $30 cheaper. The 1660 ti is barely better than a 1660 Super but costs way more, so it's either the RTX 2060 or the 1660 Super. I've seen the 2060 as low as $310 while the 1660 Super hovers around $240. So it's going to depend on how much money I can save on everything else. $30 on CPU, $20 on RAM, $40 on the monitor etc. Then I feel more comfortable about the 2060. It only has a bad reputation because of the ray tracing performance.

And AMD cards still aren't worth it IMO. They don't perform as well and they consume a lot of power and thus produce more heat. The RX 590 is similar in price to the 1660 Super, but was ranked much lower by Tom's. The Radeon RX Vega 56 is ranked near the RTX 2060, but wow, it's $150 more and consumes way more power. It almost seems like you would need a liquid cooler with AMD cards lol.

Some newbie driver

#26 Post by Some newbie driver » 27 Aug 2020 12:39

Yes, the Vega cards (and the Radeon VII) are secret agents from the electric companies to drain our pockets. :lol:

They are not well balanced cards, the RX5600/5700 are way more interesting but don't reach the high tiers performance of NVidia (at much, the 5700XT can be in pair with the RTX2070 normal but depending on the kind of game)

Anyways, if at the end you are going to wait for the best prices you keep finding, it could be even possible that new models start to be released before and you will have to re-evaluate some things. In the case of NVidia, they will release first the big beasts for sure and the more regular cards will come later, so you will be not much affected for them. But in the case of AMD I don't know what kind of release schedule could we expect but people have very high expectations on those cards. We will see if we have a real good competence for the upcoming year in the graphic cards market.

And its true that information about chips manufacturers seem to point to a noticeable price drop in any kind of silicon memories until the end of the year, either NAND flash or DRAM chips. Good for us. There's also another infos about shortage on a component that manufacturers use to build cheap VRM phases on the motherboards. Gigabyte has already released new versions of some B550 motherboards without them. That could cause a slight increase in the price of the boards but in exchange the VRMs phases will work better (more stable and clean power supply for CPU, chipset and RAM; so more stability in overclocking too). When you purchase the motherboard, try to obtain the more recent sub-version of it.

Regards

Tails

#27 Post by Tails » 28 Aug 2020 13:12

I am planning on building my first gaming PC almost got all the parts for my PC build just need to buy a CPU and GPU before I could build.
like to explore new areas of maps for both ATS and ETS2.

WOT profile https://worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/4885036

plykkegaard

#28 Post by plykkegaard » 28 Aug 2020 13:22

Hmm that was a new approach
MB, CPU and RAM should have a fit as you have different flavors / requirements
What MB did you buy, the socket nema / version is important
Just the specific name and brand will do as a start
Sorry, out of office

Tails

#29 Post by Tails » 28 Aug 2020 15:16

Here is the list of hardware I got for my PC build.

Case: Cooler Master H500 ARGB

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB , 3200 MHZ

Storage: Asgard AN series NVMe M.2 SSD 1TB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 ,850 Watts
like to explore new areas of maps for both ATS and ETS2.

WOT profile https://worldoftrucks.com/en/profile/4885036

Some newbie driver

#30 Post by Some newbie driver » 28 Aug 2020 19:27

@Tails the CPU will depend mainly on the time you want to wait before to have the computer. If you could wait till the end of the year, new Zen 3 AMD processors will be launched and are compatible with that hardware. If you can't/want not to wait; then a Ryzen 5 3600XT will be the sweet spot for that hardware.

@Reignman now that I mention it. The CPU you are looking prices is the 3600X or the 3600XT?

Return to “Off topic and other voices”