How many US cities can you name?

supersobes
Global moderator

Re: How many US cities can you name?

#11 Post by supersobes » 02 Jun 2021 22:18

natvander wrote: 02 Jun 2021 21:57 Tip - think of songs and movies with towns in them
When I read this, this song came to my mind! :lol:
rbsanford

#12 Post by rbsanford » 02 Jun 2021 22:48

natvander wrote: 02 Jun 2021 21:57 Now go try Australia…
Sydney, Canberra, Perth, Darwin, Bendigo. That's about all I know off the top of my head, but I might be missing a couple, lol.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
natvander
SCS Software

#13 Post by natvander » 03 Jun 2021 00:29

supersobes wrote: 02 Jun 2021 22:18 When I read this, this song came to my mind! :lol:
Now if you listen to the original song, you'll get Australian towns ;).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpRvAnhHfmc
rbsanford wrote: 02 Jun 2021 22:48 Sydney, Canberra, Perth, Darwin, Bendigo. That's about all I know off the top of my head, but I might be missing a couple, lol.
Yeah you missed a few - like most of the largest cities (apart from Sydney) ;)
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bedavd

#14 Post by Bedavd » 03 Jun 2021 01:29

Melbourne, Adelaide, Gold Coast , Cairns, Brisbane, and Townsville are the additions I can add without looking anything up. And of course, Alice Springs and Coober Pedy from my time driving road trains in 18 WOS Extreme Trucker back in 6th grade hahahah.
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
supersobes
Global moderator

#15 Post by supersobes » 03 Jun 2021 01:40

I did the map again. This time I got 101 more cities than I had last time. But I still missed three state capitals!

[ external image ]
natvander
SCS Software

#16 Post by natvander » 03 Jun 2021 04:31

[ external image ]

Hints - go for the most popular city names (like S_________d, W________n, B_____l, S___m), think of city names from other countries that may fit, research road signs for ATS...
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Some newbie driver

#17 Post by Some newbie driver » 03 Jun 2021 16:24

Good hints? All kind of names and family names, salted with "son" "ton", "ville", "town", "burg"...
Also try with names in French and specially in Spanish. TONS of Spanish names in several states (of course, specially near Mexico). That helped me to score a lot of cities. :P
And all the big cities (specially capitals) of European countries that you can remember; sometimes with the "new" in front.

Only with that, one could not know that even USA exist and still score over 1.500
supersobes
Global moderator

#18 Post by supersobes » 03 Jun 2021 16:50

Those are good tips, but in my opinion, the game is more fun to play when you put in cities that you actually know exist. With those tips, you just enter random names and hope that the city happens to exist somewhere. But how many of them did you actually know existed? For me, I only go state by state and only type the names of cities that I know exactly where on the map the dot will appear. ;)
Some newbie driver

#19 Post by Some newbie driver » 03 Jun 2021 17:34

Well, of course for you the challenge to nail it has sense. You live in there, you had to study your geography, you have a life of trips and all kind of inputs that let you memories of where some places are. To guess them correctly is a rewarding challenge for your memory. :idea:

For somebody completely foreign to your country, that only knows popular places due news or films; not really. The game just wouldn't be funny.

At most one can throw names that they know they exist (with the default "any state" instead "every state"). But considering how many of them repeat (sometimes even more than once in the same state); it's not really that one would be scoring "right" doing that way; the game is going to list the one with more population with the given name, not always the city one was thinking about (and I know it, because I tried to do so the first time and i had results that for sure were NOT the ones I pretended).

Two ways to have a fun time of the same game; to each its own. ;)

Regards
Bedavd

#20 Post by Bedavd » 03 Jun 2021 20:17

Trust me, living here has very little to do with it hahaha. I know many many Americans who can barely name the States let alone their capitals or other cities in them :lol:
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”