How many US cities can you name?

rbsanford

How many US cities can you name?

#1 Post by rbsanford » 19 Feb 2021 20:40

Here's a fun quiz I came across: https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa

All you have to do is enter as many cities you can remember; I find it easiest to go state by state. There's no time limit, and no penalties for wrong answers, but the catch is that it only acknowledges incorporated towns and cities, so Primm, for example, won't be counted. Your progress is saved by your browser, so as long as you don't click the "Finish and Save" button you can come back to it at any time.

This site also has similar quizzes for Mexico, Canada, Asia, Europe, and more. My record for the US is 1571.

Edit: updated personal record.
Last edited by rbsanford on 08 Mar 2021 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
flight50

Re: How many US cities can you name?

#2 Post by flight50 » 08 Mar 2021 15:38

@rbsanford this is actually pretty cool. I am giving it a go and it quite fun. Obviously I am starting with Texas, lol. I remember more than I thought but its because of the research I do. So far I am at 54. But I'd jump to other states I don't know as well to test myself, lol.

ATS is like an atlas to me now. I am learning lots of roads and cities and that is one of the cool parts of this game.
flight50

#4 Post by flight50 » 28 May 2021 00:33

I forgot all about this quiz. I've been going in here and there as I think about stuff but I don't play as often and I'm out of idea without looking at the map. My results show I am poor East and North of Texas. Obviously the West I remember more because of ATS and from looking into tons of stuff for ATS, lol.

[ external image ]
rbsanford

#5 Post by rbsanford » 28 May 2021 00:59

That's a pretty good score, though. I wonder what the average score must be; I imagine the typical person unfamiliar with American geography would get to around 100-150, maybe less if they set a time limit.

My latest high score is 1771:
[ external image ]
A good trick to increase your score is to plug in common place names. Most states have a Springfield or a Clinton, and pretty much every southern state has a Decatur, Lafayette, Fayette, and/or Fayetteville.

Something fun you can do is set the state to "Every State," so when you enter a town name every town of that name in the country will be highlighted. Doing this, I've pushed well past 5000, which is the limit; past that point, you can't finish the quiz. Here is what 4885 looks like:
[ external image ]
The Journeys of Zephyr of the American West

Handy maps and diagrams.

Furthermore, I consider that I-80 across Nevada must be redone next.
flight50

#6 Post by flight50 » 29 May 2021 23:12

Wholly cow. 1771. Impressive. Yes I tried the trick you did with naming a lot of the small towns. But I didn't know the trick of doing every state, lol. But 500+ is definitely impressive.
Bedavd

#7 Post by Bedavd » 30 May 2021 02:23

It seems outside of living somewhere, ATS does a pretty good job at teaching me American geography hahah. I really limited myself by always also adding the state to the city so I wouldn't get freebies in different states if I didn't actually know that city. 688 is pretty good to me, I think. Though I do love how some states only have two or three cities. It'll be interesting how many I'll know off the top of my head once SCS gets us there.

[ external image ]
Check out my Michigan research map!
Check out my ATS IRL map! -> Leave any feedback in my thread!
Kansas added! Up-to-date blog photo locations for upcoming states also included.
supersobes
Global moderator

#8 Post by supersobes » 02 Jun 2021 03:43

This is actually really fun! After spending about two hours on my first go, I got 430 cities. I actually missed several major cities, and I'm quite ashamed that I forgot some of the state capitals!

[ external image ]
Some newbie driver

#9 Post by Some newbie driver » 02 Jun 2021 17:08

Well, I just know a couple of tens of cities for sure. And if I should had named the state where to put them still less, specially considering that I never remember them all (still less their acronyms). :lol:

But with the "every state" option it opens a different way that it's also fun. I played to guess what names could belong to USA towns and cities. Just throwing there any word that came to my mind or trying hundreds of combinations of keywords.

It took me a lot of time, but it has worked. :mrgreen:

http://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa/share/314462

PS: What the hell happens with Delaware and Rhode Island?! After thousands of names tied and guessed, some of them so common that scored more than 20 entries, I barely managed to score 10 and 15 on there. I found more even on the empty wilderness of Alaska!

PS2: It takes a very special kind of black humor to name "Snowflake" a town in the middle of Arizona. :lol:
natvander
SCS Software

#10 Post by natvander » 02 Jun 2021 21:57

Around 2,500 without thinking too hard about it (with every state ‘on’).
Tip - think of songs and movies with towns in them, and most large cities are actually made of multiple cities (ie within the Los Angeles region there is also cities like Anaheim, Long Beach, Torrance, Ventura, San Bernardino etc)

Now go try Australia…
Never argue with idiots. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”