what do y'all think about the windows 11 so far?

Some newbie driver

Re: what do y'all think about the windows 11 so far?

#21 Post by Some newbie driver » 02 Aug 2021 23:06

Not so many years ago, Microsoft was slowly dying due their insistence of getting tied to the old "pay for license everything" model they had back in time. They get rid of Bill Gates and Paul Allen and put fresh blood in charge and everything changed all of a sudden. They focused in the SaaS model, the cloud and the big data and look where are they now, alive again.

They are not going to change back again to license every little change you made in your Windows, that it's even a worse model than the previous one they had of charging you as like it was new for every Windows version (instead of the free evolution they started win Win10). At the end people change computers eventually and they will need to purchase a newer Windows license then; there's no need to had that potential customer angered at that point and looking for alternatives.

Now they do a lot more money with SaaS model; people paying plain monthly/yearly fees for a service that allegedly takes care of all. It's a bit (big) lie, but they sold it that way and people gladly buys that lie for their peace of mind. So the Windows 365 will keep being the more than profitable path they are going to keep walking. From a certain point of view, to pay a monthly Windows 365 service is like to have to pay for updates (it's worse in fact, it's like to have to pay to keep using your computer even if it would not receive updates). But the kind of crude "pay for updates" you are imagining it's not going to come GT182.

Regards
GT182

#22 Post by GT182 » 08 Aug 2021 00:00

Well, I was never in favor of any "paid" updates for any version of Windows past, present, or future. So just so you understand what I previously wrote..... All I wrote is what I was told. Nothing more and nothing less.
Gary - CB code name: CW
Formerly from Northern NY on the Ontario/Quebec borders.
I've hauled ass down the road to deliver new cars and trucks, fuel, freight, and produce. Now I'm addicted to ATS doing the same thing in a simulation. :roll:
plykkegaard

#23 Post by plykkegaard » 08 Aug 2021 07:35

Subscriptions to MS software on the B2B market is nothing new, eg MSDN, Select, Cloud etc
Maybe you have misunderstand the case?

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
TwinShadow

#24 Post by TwinShadow » 12 Aug 2021 07:34

snip
Last edited by TwinShadow on 19 Sep 2022 05:39, edited 1 time in total.
Some newbie driver

#25 Post by Some newbie driver » 12 Aug 2021 20:20

TwinShadow wrote: 12 Aug 2021 07:34yes, you can change it, but from what I've seen, only if you activate the OS, otherwise you can't change it at all)
Since Windows 8.1 if I recall right (and for sure in Win10); until it's not activated, all the customization options for the graphic interface are disabled. So I see they keep this trend with Win11.
TwinShadow wrote: 12 Aug 2021 07:34I hate the new start menu, it's even uglier than Windows 8 and I don't even know how they accomplished making it even more ugly. It's probably one of the worst UX choices I've ever seen in an OS.
When a company promotes its new flamboyant product (Windows 10 back when it launched) saying that "the start menu is back" (so, trying to hide the fact it never should had gone) and it didn't even return appropriately (OpenShell is one of the most popular Win8/8.1/10 softwares EVER for a good reason...). Well, with such a record of failures, one can't expect nothing good if added to that history is the urge to try to mimic (the wrong way) Apple OSX.
TwinShadow wrote: 12 Aug 2021 07:34Honestly, I'm done with Windows. Have been for years. I keep using it because Linux on its own isn't great for gaming still, and still has a long way to go before it's viable.
Still very rare, but it's nice to see Linux gaming constantly growing (on Steam surveys for example). I hope the new Steam portable gaming rig will be successful; because as Linux machine that it is, it can be a factor to convince more studios to support Linux in their games. The more real options for people, the best for all of us users.
TwinShadow wrote: 12 Aug 2021 07:34Oh yeah, one thing I absolutely hate about Windows 10 currently is Microsoft's forced push of their stupid Microsoft Account during install. So far, 11 doesn't really do this, but that's not to say Microsoft won't change that later.
I really, REALLY doubt Microsoft isn't going to keep this nasty habit. Probably if you didn't see it was because as a Virtual Machine that you test it, the network drivers weren't available so it reverted to the off-line wizard. This, or that due some problems that feature was disabled for the preview versions. But have for sure it's going to remain this way for Windows 11. All big companies are using whatever trick they have for the users to login in their cloud services and keep them in their fenced systems to suck all what they can from them. M$ isn't going to be different for sure.
plykkegaard

#26 Post by plykkegaard » 12 Aug 2021 20:29

Some newbie driver wrote: 12 Aug 2021 20:20 All big companies are using whatever trick they have for the users to login in their cloud services
It is where the money is
Cut the internet cable and read a book, you'll be on the safe side

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.
TwinShadow

#27 Post by TwinShadow » 12 Aug 2021 20:38

snip
Last edited by TwinShadow on 19 Sep 2022 05:39, edited 1 time in total.
Some newbie driver

#28 Post by Some newbie driver » 12 Aug 2021 20:47

I thin I've not seen usually (luckily for me) what you describe for Win10 because I mostly install Pro/Enterprise versions that are meant to link to local domains. But I'll tell you a detail that probably you didn't know. It's not just that they try to forcefully create cloud accounts. Is that since the very first moment it does its first start and has Internet connection, your computer is already knocking O365 cloud servers to retrieve cloud configurations and lots of other useless garbage that most user don't want for anything. That's useful for Intune deployments on remote locations (among others) in corporate scenarios; but that's no excuse to generalize that behavior for everybody.

Whatever, yes, we both agree it's one of the most silly, nasty and bothersome "feature" they had put in Windows 10. After this one, I specially hate the freaking OneDrive installing every time a new user logs in the machine (but installs for everybody, so admin rights are necessary to get rid again of it). I once find a way to avoid this but ceased to work with one of the major 2020 updates. :evil:

@plykkegaard I know and understand they do their money in there and that for some things one have to decide if want to sell one's soul to use them. But what I meant was that nasty habit to try to force users to utilize all kind of services of the main provider. I could use Windows if I consider it's the best OS for my needs; that doesn't mean that I have to consider Microsoft the best options to provide me other kind of services or software. Or I can open a Gmail but don't want to touch even with a stick any other Google's service. But all of them try to put down our throat all the whole package, whether we want it or not. And the way they do it sometimes is nasty and some times is plain ridiculous.

Regards
Last edited by Some newbie driver on 12 Aug 2021 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
plykkegaard

#29 Post by plykkegaard » 12 Aug 2021 20:51

You could have continued and swithed to a local account later after the install
I have had a MS account (hotmail) since '95, I assume I can use this as an initial account during install, it is valid to this day

Some newbie driver

#30 Post by Some newbie driver » 12 Aug 2021 20:54

If you have a hotmail it should be an outlook.com actually (if I remember right) so it's a M$ online account that yes, can be used as cloud account for Windows login.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”