what do y'all think about the windows 11 so far?

TMM10

what do y'all think about the windows 11 so far?

#1 Post by TMM10 » 14 Jul 2021 18:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh9643c2P6k if you haven't seen the trailer for it yet
i've asked the BeamNG community and a few others on their opinion of the Windows 11 reveal, so now i am asking the scs community this...
What is your opinion on the Windows 11 OS, with it's new features such as the new Start Menu, Android Mode, and the looks of the windows?
Some newbie driver

Re: what do y'all think about the windows 11 so far?

#2 Post by Some newbie driver » 14 Jul 2021 21:01

My opinion is that they waste too much efforts changing the skin trying to beat Apple in the looks and that they had still not understand the lesson of their flop on Windows 8: don't touch something that works. People wanted, wants and will want the start menu right where they was and how it was and that's why the most installed application over Windows 8 was the classic shell; over Office itself (and still in the top 10 most installed so many years later, over any iteration of Windows 10. But they insist into change things pretending they are cool too, when they will never win that "coolest" battle (and they don't need it neither; snobs will never give credit to a massive product).

And on the contrary; they keep not putting enough effort in what it should be the top priority for the most used OS in workspaces globally: stability, security, ease of use, functionality, usability...

Their continuous mistakes and re-re-re-inventing the wheel cause tens of thousands of millions in unwanted costs to all the companies worldwide due loses in productivity, IT and other nuisances. And for weird that it sounds; seems nobody cares because it seems nobody makes them accountable for that. Just take and example their response to the PrintNightmare vulnerability just those past days.

Windows 11 is going to be the next M$ full crap garbage and again a nightmare for any IT department that should had to deal with final users. I told my boss I'm going to take vacations when it will be released.

Regards
supersobes
Global moderator

#3 Post by supersobes » 14 Jul 2021 23:59

Other than a change of appearance, I didn't see anything incredibly groundbreaking or different than Windows 10. It looks just like a reskin of Windows 10 with some things moved around, and like Some newbie driver wrote, it's probably just to make it look "cool." The one thing that did interest me though was the mention of DX12 Ultimate. I wonder what that's about and if it could be something useful for SCS and the game engine behind ETS2 and ATS.
Some newbie driver

#4 Post by Some newbie driver » 15 Jul 2021 18:03

supersobes wrote: 14 Jul 2021 23:59Other than a change of appearance, I didn't see anything incredibly groundbreaking or different than Windows 10.
They are going to dump lots of compatibilities with old programs and features. IE11 for example is gone.

And don't get me wrong, it should had been gone for years. But trust me when I say that there's still LOTS of companies that rely on it for several key intranet services (any software that requires a java applet for example, cannot run in nothing more than IE11 or very outdated chrome/firefox/opera versions. And don't thing for a moment that I'm talking only of small and mediocre companies. For example, one of the biggest pharma companies in the world still has to dump IE from their intranet.

And the same with the rest of the compatibility issues that will happen. I'm sure Win11 it's going to be a nightmare with dealing with industrial equipment and their relative software. Again, I understand the need to clean old trash on the sYstem and to move forward. I praise for that, they MUST do it. Problem is that, as usual, Microsoft is going to do that in exchange of nothing really good, disruptive or that will ease our lives.

But it's something they can have the luxury to do when their main product is an absolute need and there's an complete absence of proper competitors.
harishw8r

#5 Post by harishw8r » 15 Jul 2021 19:10

I love Windows 10 for playing ETS2 and ATS, I’m planning to get a MacBook (with no idea of installing Windows in it) as my primary work laptop. The child of the two is definitely a no-no for me. ‘Some newbie driver’ elucidated it properly.
Some newbie driver

#6 Post by Some newbie driver » 16 Jul 2021 15:14

harishw8r wrote: 15 Jul 2021 19:10 I’m planning to get a MacBook (with no idea of installing Windows in it)
With no idea neither possibility; unless you are talking about to purchase the last remnants of previous gen MacBooks still with the PC architecture.

New Macs use their own ARM new M1 architecture and Microsoft is actively dumping the possibility to adapt to it their Windows ARM version. So, if you purchase a new MacBook you are going to stay with Mac on it, either you want it or you don't.

I'm not saying it's a wrong choice; just warning you because the option that existed in previous Mac generations (to use a dual boot or a virtual Windows with Parallels, for example) are gone with new models. And not everybody well aware of that when purchasing a Mac.

Regards
harishw8r

#7 Post by harishw8r » 16 Jul 2021 15:27

That was a mistake from my end, by "no idea" I actually meant "no plans of installing". However, I thought it's still possible to install Windows using Parallels in the new ARM-based MacBooks. Thanks a lot for the clarification.
Some newbie driver

#8 Post by Some newbie driver » 19 Jul 2021 08:31

Parallels is a virtualization; like VMware products, VirtualBox, HyperV and several ones in Linux distros. Virtualization allows to share and distribute hardware resources between different OS at the same time, but they can't "fake" what CPU is being used. So, you can only run in virtual mode whatever that supports the same CPU architecture that your main OS is using.

Parallels worked with Windows ARM version (so it can run in the same architecture that the base Mac OSX). And then that Windows used it's own EMULATION layer to run x86 PC-kind of applications installed on it. Problem of this is that EMULATIONS consume a lot of extra resources and that Windows ARM version is being dumped by M$ (at least, the last news i hear about it) and also that was limited to x86 applications (well, not sure if it was limited or if the x64 mode was really atrocious in performance). That's why console emulators sometimes suffer from poor performance even on high end current hardware: they have to fake on a software layer how it behaved a completely different hardware architecture for that console.

Whatever, as far as I know, Windows on M1 over Parallels it's not something that has a brilliant future. Linux through Parallels in M1 Macs instead gives no problems because there's full support for Linux running on ARM.

At the end it all resumes in: all big companies want their gardens fenced and don't want their guest to roam from one to the other. If you are OK with that go on, no problem at all.

Regards

PS: The worst heresy I've ever seen is a person that bought a MacBook Pro in 2007 to get rid of the OS X on it and install Windows Vista. Oh men, that hurt me hard when I saw it. :shock:
jdwarfer

#9 Post by jdwarfer » 23 Jul 2021 10:07

According to their checking app whatever, my PC can't handle it, which surprised me.
So I have a pretty bad opinion of it currently.
plykkegaard

#10 Post by plykkegaard » 23 Jul 2021 10:22

Don't trust any compatibillity checking tool as it is still in beta
Drop in a fresh HDD and install win 11 from Insider Preview if you want to check it out
Revert by unplugging the new drive

This signature virus has been spliced with the Fundementalism-B virus to create a new more contagious strain. Please look for it infecting a signature near you.

Return to “Offtopic and other voices”