Mods to Vanilla

cwat89

Mods to Vanilla

#1 Post by cwat89 » 08 Jan 2020 17:12

Has anyone gone from using lots of mods back to vanilla? I've been contemplating it because of the amount of trouble I've had out of mods lately. Plus I feel like everything might run smoother. Those of you that have reverted back did you miss any of your mods?
Underscore_101_

Re: Mods to Vanilla

#2 Post by Underscore_101_ » 09 Jan 2020 15:35

Whenever SCS updates the game I play vanilla for a bit, but I always miss my favourite mods and go back to them asap, often just reverting back to previous version with working mods until at least some of the mods have been updated.

If it wasn't for mods i'd have quit playing ats and ets2 a long time ago
supersobes
Global moderator

#3 Post by supersobes » 11 Jan 2020 03:56

When I first started trucking back in 2016, I used a ton of mods. I went completely vanilla a while ago, and I haven't looked back. Don't get me wrong; there are some amazing modders in this community who make great work, but I like to admire them from a distance such as viewing screenshots and videos that other players who use the mods create. For me, the vanilla with the official DLCs game gives me everything I need. I just want to drive OTR in my favourite semi truck configurations across an accurate representation of the American highway network. The base game content does a pretty good job at that, and SCS just keeps adding to it and making it better. Some other benefits of playing vanilla is that the game instantly works with each new patch without having to mess around with making sure that everything that is installed works, it's easier to test and report bugs as that should always be done a vanilla installation, and the overall performance of the game is better for me. Every now and then, there is mod or two that I might try for a day or two on a backup of my save, but I never make it permanent, and I always revert it back to the vanilla save once I'm done with the mod(s).
Wolfi
Beta tester

#4 Post by Wolfi » 11 Jan 2020 07:25

I used to run both games with a lot of mods. Nowadays I don't really feel the need anymore. Sure I do still have moded profiles, but they are mostly for screenshots. Most of my game time is currently made on vanilla profiles.
Well, pure vanilla in ATS and a single paintjob mod in ETS2. Because even in vanilla I like my truck personalised and while ATS paintjob selection mostly fulfills my needs (even though it's a lot more limited) the ETS2 doesn't. But other than that I think both games are perfectly playable in vanilla and I know quite a few people who recently went back to basics and were positively surprised how much vanilla can offer nowadays.
So if you are thinking about going vanilla, my suggestion would be: start a new profile and just play it. There's a huge chance you will enjoy it as is. If not you can always add your mods back...
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
Flemming V
Global moderator

#5 Post by Flemming V » 11 Jan 2020 09:37

In ATS, I have always only used one mod, a Kenworth k108, which I have driven almost since day one. I have no need for any other mods in ATS.
In ETS2, I have only used a few mods, mostly my own mods. When driving in MP, I often find my self playing for many hours just to find out that I have no problem playing with out any mods at all.
Blackspots

#6 Post by Blackspots » 11 Jan 2020 20:20

I always have a separate non modder profile, mainly for TruckersMP, but I can also use it while I wait for map mods to updated so I can use the other modded profile
Author: C2C Eastern New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas improvments
ETS2 Map Combo: PM, Scandinavian Addon, RusMap, SR, The Great Steppe, PJ Indo Map
ATS Map Combo: Coast to Coast, CanaDream, Tonopah Reworked, US Expansion, Viva Mexico
cwat89

#7 Post by cwat89 » 12 Jan 2020 16:19

Thanks everyone. @supersobes watching your videos and seeing your screenshot thread is what made me want to go back to vanilla because it really is so good and a huge factor for me is that everything will just work. Lately I’ve spent more time chasing problems in the mod manager than actually enjoying driving. I’ve gotten rid of all but 5 in ATS and it’s already been much more enjoyable. I tried some in ETS2 but found they don’t really enhance anything for me. So it’s already vanilla.
Underscore_101_

#8 Post by Underscore_101_ » 12 Jan 2020 16:47

I've replied to this before and said that I wouldn't be playing the game if it wasn't for mods.

If there is one mod that works in ets2 and not in ats that keeps me from playing ats as much as I play ets2 (and yes I am aware i'm in the ATS section of this forum) it's Roman71's no barriers mod, if ats had a mod like that i'd be playing it a lot more when it's otherwise vanilla.

And also, for ets2 there's Promods, which not only adds roads an cities, it allows for more short distance hauls, that's another reason why I don't play ats as much, average hauls distance/time is too long for me in both vanilla ATS and ETS2
Wolfi
Beta tester

#9 Post by Wolfi » 12 Jan 2020 19:00

You mean a mod that makes the "world end" barriers invisible?
There's one on Steam Workshop for ATS, it's been on my moded profile since forever and works perfectly fine with no issues.
The smallest details always make the biggest difference.
cwat89

#10 Post by cwat89 » 14 Jan 2020 12:20

Well I emptied my mod list in ATS and the only one that I can't do without is Kreichbaums engine sounds. I'm a gearhead so engine sounds are important to me. But maybe once the sound overhaul happens for 1.37 I won't even need it. Everything else I have not missed one bit, in fact I enjoy it much more. So it's 99% clean. :lol: I dropped what few I had in ETS and haven't missed any of it so it's 100% vanilla. It's definitely refreshing how quick everything loads and not having errors or crashes.

Return to “Vanilla Gamers”