Roadrailer

J. Ritter

Re: Roadrailer

#11 Post by J. Ritter » 10 Jun 2020 13:50

@natvander is correct, it was the equipment for attaching the bogie and the suspension that added the extra weight. It was certainly an interesting operation. The Automotive bent is interesting, and makes sense when I think that the Atlanta Triple Crown yard was pretty close to the now-demolished Hapeville Ford plant.

Edit: I also want to say that it's not surprising that it was Norfolk Southern that tried this. The old Southern Railway culture stayed strong after the Norfolk and Western merger, and Southern was big on trying new things. They heavily invested in intermodal early on, and they were the first US Class I to fully dieselize their roster during the transition era. As their boxcars said, Southern gave a "Green Light to Innovations!"

(I love their old boxcars, pic is not mine.)

[ external image ]A Green Light To Innovations by Chris Tokarcik, on Flickr
SmokeyWolf

#12 Post by SmokeyWolf » 10 Jun 2020 14:47

A lot of people doesn't realize how much trucks and trains truly depend on each other.
kevink

#13 Post by kevink » 05 Nov 2020 14:08

Larry71490 wrote: 10 Jun 2020 12:57 Norfolk Southern owned Triple Crown. Triple Crown serviced the auto industry primarily. Think Triple Crown is down to a Detroit-Kansas City lane.
CSX also dabbled with Roadrailers in the mid-late 80s, serving the auto industry too, with General Motors being the largest, if not sole, customer. I believe CSX ran them Detroit to Atlanta, maybe for the GM plant in Doraville.

I think CSX's Roadrailer partner company was XpressRailer or something similar. For the train afficianados on here, CSX regularly assigned their few remaining F units to these trains.

Return to “Real world”