Adventures in truck restoration

Ernie D

Adventures in truck restoration

#1 Post by Ernie D » 19 Aug 2021 21:41

Hello everyone
Ive decided to make a thread here in the media area, for my journey Im getting into. A complete restoration/update on a old truck, I posted a couple of photos in another thread, and a couple of yall PMd me to ask me to make a spot to post updates of my progress, so here it is :) , Ive thought about doing a video journey via youtube also, but, Im not video savvy, nor am I the one to narrate such :lol:

Here's a little back ground on my truck I bought, Its a 1962 Ford F-1000 Super Duty, the purchase of this truck was taken over the course of almost a year in the making. The PO of the truck posted photos of it when he bought it from the original owners family in Sept 2020, well by Dec. the PO decided he didnt have the time to spend as he thought, so he posted it for sale on one of the FB pages I follow. Well, to make a long story short, it took several months for him to acquire the title for the truck so he could sell it, and I patiently waited till he did, because we both kept our agreement between each other, that if he got the proper paperwork for me to purchase it and register it in my name, that I would buy it from him.
The photos that I originally seen of it, I instantly fell in love with the truck, for one thing about it, you dont see this style truck anywhere, anymore, its a unique truck nowadays.
After decoding the serial number, the truck was originally a single axle, but the original owner set it up as a tandem, as a "rubber band twin screw", meaning, the front rear axle drove the rear axle via rubber drive belts between the dual tires on each side of the truck.
The truck is currently powered by a 534 gas engine, it has a 5 spd spicer and has a 2 spd rear axle, which during this restoration, it will be repowered. Details will come later for that ;) . Heres a few photos and I will share more as I go :)
Hope yall enjoy :)
The day I picked her up
[ external image ]

First day at my shop
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Proprietor/Painter of Southland Mods
Drive Safely

Re: Adventures of a truck restoration

#2 Post by Drive Safely » 20 Aug 2021 00:03

Wow! Best of luck on your restoration adventure. I love to see classic vehicles still in use today :)
leo.arevalo12ss

Re: Adventures in truck restoration

#3 Post by leo.arevalo12ss » 20 Aug 2021 13:36

The seats still look good just dusty is all
Take it with a grain of salt nothing is 100% sure
Ernie D

#4 Post by Ernie D » 21 Aug 2021 02:13

Managed to get the outside cleaned up some, removed the old 5th wheel mount and old sleeper. Slowly chipping away at her :)

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Ernie D

#5 Post by Ernie D » 23 Aug 2021 00:33

Finally got the inside cleaned up, shes got a little bit of rust, but some new floor panels from LMC truck will take care of that. She amazingly has minor rust for her age and sitting up as long as she has. According to the PO, he told me the family of the original owner told him that shes been parked since 1976, so, 45 yrs parked. Shes been parked as long as Ive been living :lol: . Ive checked the fuel tanks, just a little cleaning on the inside and they will be good to go.

Heres a few more pics of progress, before and after cleaning the inside :)

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

Hope yall enjoy :)
PBandJ

#6 Post by PBandJ » 23 Aug 2021 03:25

Looks a lot different all ready ....:)
leo.arevalo12ss

#8 Post by leo.arevalo12ss » 27 Aug 2021 03:03

The dash needs a bit of cleaning but the restoration looks good
Take it with a grain of salt nothing is 100% sure
BK Vissers

#9 Post by BK Vissers » 28 Aug 2021 12:58

Having been through a few restorations of my own cars, I’m seeing this through the eyes of someone who wanted their vehicle to be returned to original spec condition. What are your plans if I may ask? Will you be removing the surface rust or only the parts rotted through? Will you be cleaning up and reinstalling the sleeper?
Ernie D

#10 Post by Ernie D » 30 Aug 2021 01:17

@BK Vissers I still have to take some more photos of more progress and of things that are in the works. Ive also restored several cars myself too :) , a couple of them, back to showroom condition. This is my first large truck that Im restoring, but Im not bringing it back to original spec for power, comfort and usability.

As far as drivetrain, Im removing the original 534 gas engine out, in favor for a 6cta 8.3L cummins, the original 5 spd direct is going to be replaced with a RTX11613 13spd OD eaton roadranger, and the 2 spd eaton rearend is being replaced with a eaton 3.55 rearend.

Currently the truck is setup as a single drive on a 4 spring tandem with a tag axle in a drag config, the PO I bought the truck from, knew the original owner, the original owner setup the tandem as a "rubber band twin screw" which the original sheaves between the drive tandems and tag tandems are still mounted, but no belts are installed. My plans are to install the 3.55 eaton back into a original single axle config, but add air ride to the rear

Other plans in the works are to completely rewire the truck with new updated wiring, completely redo and update the air system to a newer dual reservoir air brake system, instead of the original single air system setup. Im still in the planning and research stage with some of my plans, but, over all looks of the truck I have planned, is to make it look as vintage as possible, with very little chrome, if any at all. Its still gonna be a working truck for me, but as a RV toter/ equipment hauler. More plans for it will be reveled in future post :)

Return to “Real world”