Jan Vissers' Tiny Truck Tales

BK Vissers

#1 Post by BK Vissers » 24 Dec 2016 12:13

Welcome to the Jan Vissers' Tiny Truck Tales story thread. This will be a series of screenshots tied together with text to tell a tale - hopefully more than one - in the life of my company.

I'm Jan (pronounced Yann).

Jan

My big sister, Saskia, and her husband, Buddy, operated BK Vissers Logistic - a Netherlands-based transport company operating with its HQ in Groeningen. Things didn't work out well for them, as you can read in that thread.

I'm starting my own company here in the US, called Jan Vissers Trucking Co. Join me and see how things work out.
Last edited by BK Vissers on 17 Jan 2017 13:24, edited 2 times in total.

BK Vissers

#2 Post by BK Vissers » 24 Dec 2016 14:02

Hello, I'm Jan Vissers, Saskia's younger brother. When our family business went bankrupt, I went to Canada looking for work. For a time I worked for J.D. Irving, a huge conglomerate involved in oil, transportation, shipbuilding, railroads, retail...

After a while, looking to be my own boss, I went to the USA. As my family had always been in trucking, I wanted to start my own company. But I needed a truck, a truck I could afford. And I found myself at a heavy equipment company in California in response to a "For Sale" advertisement...

An unusual find

America's love of cars and trucks can best be seen in the southern climes, where road salt is not needed in winter and vehicles don't rust away to nothing, so one has a tremendous variety of new and old vehicles of all kinds. Hiding in the back was what I came to see.*

An old girl, but still proud!

You can imagine my surprise to see this 30+ year old truck from eastern Canada sitting in a yard in California! I felt a pang of nostalgia when I saw the Irving livery. Scot trucks was a division of Irving, before they shut that down. I still saw the odd one when I was working in a Nova Scotia. To see it here...well, I was sporting a huge grin.

That Irving Logo...

I sat inside the cab. It was so spartan, but in decent shape. The salesman from Herren told me she might need some work but was otherwise in running condition. The odometer was frozen and while he told me it's "real" mileage, I had no way to verify anything. There was no computer, no electronics other than an aftermarket stereo. I was used to modern European trucks, with their powerful motors and comfortable, quiet cabins. This was all vinyl, no air conditioning, and I was buying her!

Who needs air in California anyway?

*Scot A2HD complete truck mod by Smarty

Hakan

Re: Jan Vissers' Tiny Truck Tales

#3 Post by Hakan » 24 Dec 2016 14:05

Amazing Start And Story! great Photos and Story!
Owner Celik Logistics Liege Belgie: 714 -Trucks-9Brands 94-Trailers-15Brands
ETS2 SCS Map DLCs 1.28 YKS Turkey - Italymap deco13 - Rusmap Aldim@Tor Promods
Paris Rebuild All Updated 1.28

Hounddog

#4 Post by Hounddog » 24 Dec 2016 14:23

:o nice 8-) 8-)
we've got rid of the kids.....our dogs were allergic

Gr Rob

My WOT   |   My ETS Screens-topic   |   My ATS Screens-topic   |   Hounddog Paintshop ETS   |   Hounddog Paintshop Las Vegas ATS

BK Vissers

#5 Post by BK Vissers » 24 Dec 2016 14:46

Thanks, guys! Hounddog, maybe you can hire me to move some of your farm goods! ;) :lol:

BK Vissers

#6 Post by BK Vissers » 25 Dec 2016 20:32

When you come from Europe, you're used to cabover designs, with fantastic visibility, and short wheelbases. A quick look at Peterbilt and Kenworth had me convinced my little Scot was the best choice for me, despite her age, mere 290hp engine, and lack of creature comforts. I think the hardest part to get used up might be the mirrors, which were very far from the doors and needed a lot of turning the head to use effectively. No peripheral vision here!

Small is not necessarily bad!

My first job with my new truck was a trailer with heavy concrete blocks made to look like gifts. They were to be used as ballast for a Christmas display that would be suspended with wires, with these blocks keeping the display from falling over. I hoped a cargo of 20 tons was not too much for my old girl.

Big Blocks of camouflaged concrete

Usually I worry less about highways than the city - at least in Europe. But in California, I was concerned my truck might struggle with the heavy load on uphill slopes. My route from my home in San Diego to Bakersfield had some steep ascents and descents for which a truck lane existed. I was a bit nervous...

The little truck that could...

Pendragon

#7 Post by Pendragon » 25 Dec 2016 22:40

Cool :)
ImageImage Sorry for my bad English

Hounddog

#8 Post by Hounddog » 25 Dec 2016 23:28

Nice 8-)
we've got rid of the kids.....our dogs were allergic

Gr Rob

My WOT   |   My ETS Screens-topic   |   My ATS Screens-topic   |   Hounddog Paintshop ETS   |   Hounddog Paintshop Las Vegas ATS

Hakan

#9 Post by Hakan » 26 Dec 2016 11:40

Great :D
Owner Celik Logistics Liege Belgie: 714 -Trucks-9Brands 94-Trailers-15Brands
ETS2 SCS Map DLCs 1.28 YKS Turkey - Italymap deco13 - Rusmap Aldim@Tor Promods
Paris Rebuild All Updated 1.28

BK Vissers

#10 Post by BK Vissers » 27 Dec 2016 14:07

Heh, thank fellas!

Return to “Game”