Jan Vissers' Tiny Truck Tales

BK Vissers

Re: Jan Vissers' Tiny Truck Tales

#151 Post by BK Vissers » 09 Aug 2017 13:36

Thanks, Andrei383, SpottedHyena, Saur44l, and Obelihnio!

Hounddog

#152 Post by Hounddog » 09 Aug 2017 15:49

Great story !!
we've got rid of the kids.....our dogs were allergic

Gr Rob

My WOT   |   My ETS Screens-topic   |   My ATS Screens-topic   |   Hounddog Paintshop ETS   |   Hounddog Paintshop Las Vegas ATS

BK Vissers

#153 Post by BK Vissers » 09 Aug 2017 16:20

Thanks Rob!

BK Vissers

Jan Vissers' Tiny Truck Tales

#154 Post by BK Vissers » 11 Aug 2017 14:01

Versatility

Reg

Flexibility is important for businesses that don't have ongoing revenues from a steady source. Construction, by it nature, is continually in transition; once a project is completed the work and associated revenues for it end and one must move on. Crown Construction operated in several states, California, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico. That meant that equipment, as well as staff, had to be moved around. Crown relied most times on its own resources, rather than contracting transport companies to do it for them.

Today's trailer

Reg's Kenworth not only could haul aggregates, it was often delivering a load in the dumper as well as dropping equipment at the same site, or another nearby one.

A different combo

The drive from Sacramento first took Reg to Santa Rosa, where he picked up the excavator, then headed south. The hardest part of the journey was passing through San Francisco's steep streets, where he slowed to a crawl and had to be careful with releasing the brakes at stop signs and traffic lights for fear of rolling back. Drivers were not always smart, and would stop only a few feet behind the trailer.

Some drivers are a danger to themselves more than to others

Lunch time, Reg stopped at a diner. He rechecked the tensioners and chains holding the excavator on the trailer.

It's 98F! Good thing the Kenworth's AC works great!

Late afternoon, he rolled off the exit ramp at Oxnard. He'd have to unload the trailer at one construction site, then deliver the load of river rock another location, where a landscaping company was doing decorative work for a park. He was arriving just ahead of rush hour, though the local radio station's helicopter buzzed by moving toward the highway to make its first report.

Traffic Helicopter view

The excavator was driven off by the operator at the first site. Even before the office tower under construction was completed, the foundations of the second we're going to be excavated.

Reg hit the road.

Girder Welder's View
Last edited by BK Vissers on 12 Aug 2017 12:32, edited 1 time in total.

Scaniadriver1

#155 Post by Scaniadriver1 » 11 Aug 2017 14:04

cool story
awesome to have you equipment with you ...not needed some extra help
RHT on the Road ---------> viewtopic.php?f=47&t=169446&start=540
RHT UNITED--------->viewtopic.php?f=193&t=242117

SpottedHyena

#156 Post by SpottedHyena » 11 Aug 2017 14:15

I had someone make that mistake when I drove my grandfather's grain truck. Released the brake, went to shift into 2nd. I rolled back maybe a couple of feet and the next thing you know, I have a horn blaring and an angry man heading for the cab. Me and pappy switched seats real quick seeing as how I didnt have a license to drive his truck. Note to four wheeler s, when the truck is on an incline and it's inclined towards you. LEAVE SPACE.
Furry Trucker!
Primary Truck: 2016 DAF Euro 6, 510 HP Paccar MX 13, 16spd ZF Trans 2.69 rear ends with retarder.

BK Vissers

#157 Post by BK Vissers » 11 Aug 2017 14:18

Someone I know who was a friend of my parents almost was beheaded when the truck in front of her, which was a flat bed and had long steel rods overhanding the end, rolled back. She was a good 8 feet from it and the rods went straight through her windshield, on the drivers side. Not funny.

SpottedHyena

#158 Post by SpottedHyena » 11 Aug 2017 14:25

No, no that's a very bad scenario. It just goes to show you have to respect big rigs, my cousin shows me things that drivers do to him every day and he used to do what I do in game; Wide load or flatbed work. People just don't understand or just don't acknowledge that those big trucks can't dive in and out of traffic or stop on a quarter and give you 20 cents of change.

That being said, there are some really bad...."Steering wheel attendants" in the industry as well, who think they can turn on a dime, stop on one and just generally own the road. At the company I work for, we deal with the "Pedal mashing, gear jamming, teeth grittin', CB Warrioring Supertruckers" as my boss calls them, all the time. It goes both ways.
Furry Trucker!
Primary Truck: 2016 DAF Euro 6, 510 HP Paccar MX 13, 16spd ZF Trans 2.69 rear ends with retarder.

BK Vissers

#159 Post by BK Vissers » 11 Aug 2017 14:28

Yes, there are bad drivers in all types of vehicles and walks of life. Though on the whole, the truckers I would encounter on the highways were for the most part pretty professional and courteous in their driving behaviour. But it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the lot.

obelihnio

#160 Post by obelihnio » 11 Aug 2017 19:38

Fantastic shots and story my friend! :D
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Game”