Jan Vissers' Tiny Truck Tales

BK Vissers

#51 Post by BK Vissers » 16 Jan 2017 13:59

Jan

Just as I hooked up the trailer, and finished connecting the hoses and cables, it began to pour. I haven't seen rain like this in ages. I was soaked in the minute it took to check the lights on the trailer.

I barely climbed in the cab when my phone rang. It was my big sister, Saskia, calling from Germany.

Drenched!

The news she had about her husband Buddy* was disurbing. I worked in his company until it went under. I knew him and liked him. There was little I could do but Saskia wasn't looking for help, she just wanted to talk.

After we finished I made my way through Kingman to the highway. It as a pretty little town with bike racks, tidy shops and a general sense comfort. I quite liked it.

Main Street, Kingman Arizona

As quickly as they appeared, the rain-clouds vanished while I was on the highway, leaving me with clean-washed pavement and pleasant natural scenery.

I-40 going East

The one thing about the highway between Kingman and Holbrook were the hills. Nothing particularly steep, mind you, but with only 290HP I would end up doing 30mph down from 60 at times, and except for one long downhill stretch, I never got over 60. I simply couldn't. Other trucks were passing me at the limit but I never got close.

Gorgeous hills but problematic

Close to my destination in Holbrook, I came to an intersection. I have to tell you, I had no idea what this sign was warning me about. The roads were quite smooth.

This isn't even Route 66!

A couple of blocks further and I found Tidbit, and pulled into the parking lot. The manager was a bit irritated I asked where he wanted the trailer.

Big truck, tiny parking lot

There was only one loading bay for the store. But how was I to know? Maybe he expected me to drive around the building to see, but I'm not driving a car!

Second load in one day. Can I do a third?

*For the other part of this story see Saskia's Adventures post on January 18th, 19th & 20th.
Last edited by BK Vissers on 20 Jan 2017 18:55, edited 3 times in total.

obelihnio

Re: Jan Vissers' Tiny Truck Tales

#52 Post by obelihnio » 16 Jan 2017 14:51

Great shots and story!
Awesome weaving of both of your stories together. 8-)
ImageImageImageImage

Hakan

#53 Post by Hakan » 16 Jan 2017 16:51

Great Story Mate!
Im Safe chilling here in Turkey see You Soon.

BK Vissers

#54 Post by BK Vissers » 17 Jan 2017 13:23

obelihnio wrote:Great shots and story!
Awesome weaving of both of your stories together. 8-)
Hakan wrote:Great Story Mate!
Thanks guys! Look forward to more weaving of tales between the continents! :)

jules.raton

#55 Post by jules.raton » 20 Jan 2017 18:09

Very nice intertwined stories! Makes for a powerful and highly interesting storytelling ;)

Well done mate! :D

BK Vissers

#56 Post by BK Vissers » 24 Jan 2017 12:51

jules.raton wrote:Very nice intertwined stories! Makes for a powerful and highly interesting storytelling ;)

Well done mate! :D

Un gros merçi, Jules! :)

GB: Thanks, Jules!

BK Vissers

#57 Post by BK Vissers » 24 Jan 2017 16:11

Holbrook to San Simon

Jan

The rude manager didn't irritate me as much as I suppose he could have. I can’t complain about my career. It can be long hours and hard work but I really like doing it. Must be a family thing. My sister does it. Our grandfather did it. And now we’re on two continents! Even the rain doesn't bother me.

Third job today!

My next cargo was an 11t reservoir that was being repurposed. I was transporting it from the site of a building demolition to a farm. It was almost a ten hour drive, so I would have to find a rest area somewhere on my route. Part of the trip - a big part - was on smaller undivided highways and I could see a rest stop near a river that looked like it would be perfect.

Tear it down only to build something new

One thing that I am getting spoiled with in America is the roads. They are usually multi-lane even in cities and towns. It’s so much easier to drive than in Europe! Show Low was a typical example: small town but they don’t stint on paving!

Every town a highway!

Not long after leaving Show Low, and still a very long way away from San Simon, my destination in the southeastern part of Arizona, traffic slowed to a crawl.

Slow, very slow...

There was a backhoe at the front of this column, moving at around 18mph. I wanted to pass but no one was crossing the double line so I didn’t dare to either. My truck was fifth after the backhoe, and I could see in my mirror a long column of other vehicles starting to stretch behind me far into the darkness.

A backhoe with a tail a mile long

Oh great! Steep incline. I was going to spend a long time riding my brakes.

I could use a retarder here...

Descending for many miles at such a slow pace was boring. But worse, I now still quite distant from where I planned to be by this point. I needed to rest and I could not stop, nor speed up.

Let's hope the highway patrol isn't doing spot checks...

I got lucky. I reached the rest area in the middle of the night and well after I was legally required to take a break. With nowhere to stop until here, I had no choice but to go on, but at least I didn’t get caught.

It was pitch black here. I picked an empty bit of ground and shut down for the night. It was going to be a bit uncomfortable as my Scot had a day-cab.

Look closely, there is something in this photo!

Waking up, I discovered that where I parked was sort of in the middle of the parking area, and what looked dull at night was a place of such scenic beauty, I had to walk around and take a look before I drove on.

It's like night and day...literally!

A small concession with facilities offered a place to use the washroom and get a sandwich and coffee.

How convenient. Must be for tourists!

Looking toward the parking area the river flowed beneath the bridge. Everything seemed so dry; the water lapped at the banks but clearly rose higher at other times. I also saw I did a terrible parking job in the dark!

Drought?

Crossing over to the other side to look the other way I saw a bit of dust drifting over the river. ATVs just raced along the dirt road flanking the river.

Sadly, the sound of engines drowns out nature completely

Back in the truck, I struggled up the steep road leaving the valley. The descent last night was long, very long, but fairly gentle for the most part. The ascent was short and correspondingly steep. Cars raced by me the moment they could see past my hood.

I never go fast, but I do go!

Back on the interstate, I was confused by the interchange at Tucson, and ended up taking the wrong exit. I couldn’t turn around until the next exit, which was 30 minutes down the highway. Fortunately, I had plenty of time to both make the delivery and take my break but it was annoying.

I can read signs but there were too many at once!

It was dusk as I approached Sunshine Crops. This is the part of trucking so easy to forget. I could not just drop it and take off. The reservoir had to be inspected, and in the poor light that took long. I didn’t leave until 9pm.

Much drier than the farm where I grew up...

San Simon is rather remote. I was yawning and relieved to find a place to gas up my almost empty fuel tank and park to get some rest. No hotel for a second night. Right now I missed the comfortable DAF sleepers back in the Netherlands.

Rest, for me and my Scot

obelihnio

#58 Post by obelihnio » 24 Jan 2017 17:23

Fantastic pics and story as always BK! 8-)
ImageImageImageImage

Hakan

#59 Post by Hakan » 24 Jan 2017 17:57

Cool Photos and Truck! super story!
Im Safe chilling here in Turkey see You Soon.

xDope

#60 Post by xDope » 24 Jan 2017 18:12

Awesome story and shots!
If it is stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

Return to “Game”