Crown Logistics VTC

BK Vissers

Crown Logistics VTC

#61 Post by BK Vissers » 30 Jul 2017 12:46

The Hills are on Fire!!!

Ethan

As the trailer was unhitched at Eddy’s in Reno, the fog lifted, and the more typical Nevada sun shone. I had just under 4 hours left before my mandatory 9 hour rest period. Crown didn't have anything for me and and I was looking forward to just relaxing a bit. The drive this morning in that bad weather was gruelling. As I left Eddy's, the Crown dispatcher called. A load of re-tread tires at Voltison needed to be brought to Sacramento, pronto. I mentioned my time left was dwindling but the dispatcher said, "It's 3 hours driving time, and you can shut down right away when you get here, so you'll be fine."

It's always go go go on this job

I was watching the traffic around me so I didn't see the half-drunk former trucker, his white hair all dishevelled, stumble out of the bar and stare at me as I went by, mumbling how his truck burned and "it was a better truck" than mine.

Hope he doesn't stumble into traffic

Interstate 80 is a superbly beautiful drive, especially in a truck where the added height over a car lets you see the scenery so much better. It's also a challenging drive for truckers, with steep ascents and lots of engine braking on the way down. The weigh station on the ascent is therefore a nuisance, as it means losing all the speed you struggled to get, only to resume the rest of the climb from 0mph.

Why put this halfway up?

Maybe half an hour after leaving the weigh station, I saw what at first I thought was fog. It drifted across the road, but wasn't as thick as the fog from the trip to Eureka. I turned on the lights and kept rolling.

Well, that's weird

When I drove I to it I had the shock of my life! It suddenly got so thick I could barely see, and almost ran into the back of this truck that was crawling not at 55mph, but 20! Then I smelled it. No wonder this "fog" didn't quite look right. It was smoke. Lots and lots of smoke.

Smells like a fireplace

I got on the CB and asked if anyone knew what was going on. Remember that storm I drove through this morning between Redding and Reno? Well further south there was a lot of lightning, and it started a brush fire, that was spreading. The wind was blowing from the north, pushing it toward Sacramento.

Yes, I can breathe, but it's not pleasant

As I got closer to the city, leaving the hills behind, the smoke thinned. You could still see it in my mirrors. That had to be one big fire!

Finally out of that!!

Even once I was off the interstate in Sacramento the sky to the north was filled with haze. I heard sirens, likely firefighters rushing to try to put this out.

Is the city in danger?

When I unhitched the trailer at Bitumen, I spoke to the foreman for a few minutes. He said he heard on the radio that they were evacuating homes in some parts of the hills not far from Truckee. Incredible how everything changed for some people in just a matter of hours. It's a nice summer day when you get up, and you're gathering your belongings to flee in the afternoon.

More bad news

When I parked my truck at my apartment I was just out of time. I was really tired but I couldn't go to sleep. Instead, I sat and listened to the radio. Around 7pm, the water-bombers arrived from Oregon and Washington. They were beating it back. I fell asleep in my seat.
Last edited by BK Vissers on 31 Jul 2017 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

Hounddog

Re: Crown Logistics VTC

#62 Post by Hounddog » 30 Jul 2017 18:49

wow that must have been a big fire ......great story !!!!
we've got rid of the kids.....our dogs were allergic

Gr Rob

My WOT   |   My ETS Screens-topic   |   My ATS Screens-topic   |   Hounddog Paintshop ETS   |   Hounddog Paintshop Las Vegas ATS

BK Vissers

#63 Post by BK Vissers » 01 Aug 2017 17:33

Thanks, Rob! Sometimes I don't even have to think, the game gives me a story.

Scaniadriver1

#64 Post by Scaniadriver1 » 02 Aug 2017 06:20

Great Story again mate
Scary if something like that happened in real Life to someone...
The drunk dude is only MAD because He cant drive something cool like that lol
RHT on the Road ---------> viewtopic.php?f=47&t=169446&start=540
RHT UNITED--------->viewtopic.php?f=193&t=242117

BK Vissers

#65 Post by BK Vissers » 02 Aug 2017 12:30

Thanks, mate!

Unfortunately what I wrote for fun does happen IRL. I remember my own city being filled with smoke from fires that were a good 40-50-60 km away or more.

That poor drunk is someone you already met in Jan's story.... I wonder who will figure it out. :)

andrei383

#66 Post by andrei383 » 02 Aug 2017 14:54

Great story and pics, mate! :mrgreen:

saur44l

#67 Post by saur44l » 03 Aug 2017 21:14

It seems that this Ethan fellow is like a magnet for foggy weather.

BK Vissers

#68 Post by BK Vissers » 04 Aug 2017 12:18

*cough* *cough*

What fog, mate? All I see is smoke!

obelihnio

#69 Post by obelihnio » 06 Aug 2017 16:17

Fantastic story as usual BK!
ImageImageImageImage

Hounddog

#70 Post by Hounddog » 08 Aug 2017 20:14

Don't palk here....

Jack

Well before I hit the big road I thought it was time for some nice American style hamburger....
These are big....big big and tasty 8-)
And this little burger "restaurant" looks gooooood !!!

I parked on this spot.....that will do !!!
"no no no....you not palk here....can not not do that"
a little Chinese guy run to my truck
How...calm down.....make me a burger or two and I am out of here man
" no no no...I call police.....no burgel no burgel...."

Listen (I was getting irritated :evil: ) get me something to eat and I am gone !!! N O W !!!
Don't mess with Jack if he is hungry :twisted: :twisted:
" Okeyl okeyl ,I made you eat and you go go "

So after he made me some burgers I went down the road.....because eh...I don't want any trouble over a hamburger !!!
But wait........did he really called the cops......mmmm.....luckly they drive past me !!!

The drive towards Camp Verde went without any problems and I was calmed down....
You now ......I must admit......I have a bad temper :oops:
I hope I don't get any trouble with Crown.......

Almost arriving in Camp Verde

I was searching for a big big company but to my suprise the deliver adress was an old farm.....gate closed....

But while I was reversing backwards to the gate ,the farmer invite me for a nice cold beer and we agreed to unload the next morning..
The night was long, cozy and the beer was cold :mrgreen:

After unloading I got a freight to San Rafael
we've got rid of the kids.....our dogs were allergic

Gr Rob

My WOT   |   My ETS Screens-topic   |   My ATS Screens-topic   |   Hounddog Paintshop ETS   |   Hounddog Paintshop Las Vegas ATS

Return to “Game”