Crown Logistics VTC

saur44l

Re: Crown Logistics VTC

#82 Post by saur44l » 12 Aug 2017 21:26

As usual,interesting story and nice shots.

andrei383

#83 Post by andrei383 » 12 Aug 2017 22:05

Great posts, BK and Rob!

Brian

I had a few days off in Sacramento which allowed me to get some much needed home-time. While my Argosy served as my "rolling-home" of sorts, my apartment room, while not much bigger than the sleeper of the Argosy was a welcome change.

Returning to the garage, I coincidentally ran into Ethan, the driver I met in orientation. Of course talk turned to our respective trucks, the fleet's old-timers: his pouring smoke, and mine with its gauge problems and continuing loss of power. He even mentioned the wildfires around the state, which I was glad to avoid.

Outside, we introduced ourselves to Jack, also a new driver for Crown, but not a new driver by any stretch. Grumpy at first, once you got to know him, he was a great guy. Much like many of the older truckers I've met, I could sense that behind that well-worn pair of Aviator sunglasses, he had a lot of wisdom and experience in him. Sadly I couldn't glean any of that knowledge as we all had to go our separate ways. In our line of business, "freight don't wait."

Crown Logistics doesn't only deal in hauling freight. It's subsidiary, Crown Construction is an important part of its business portfolio. Companies intertwined, it was not uncommon for us Logistics drivers to haul something for them, whether it was heavy equipment or, in my case, cement.

Arriving at the factory I was greeted by one of the workers there. I had no idea how to operate a pneumatic dry bulk tanker so thankfully they had a guy on hand to make sure the trailer was in order. He watched as I hooked up and helped me do a walk-around, noting what I should look for when I later do a load-check.

My route was pretty much a straight shot down CA 99 from Stockton to Bakersfield. The trailer danced a little bit at highway speed, but it was more of a minor wobble than anything else. I guess I just wasn't used to these kinds of trailers.

With nothing in my lane ahead of me, I watched in my mirror as a motorcycle swiftly darted between lanes of traffic. As it closed I noticed the rider didn't have her riding suit zipped up all the way. Now while that isn't safe I realized being a distracted driver was worse. My eyes quickly darted to the front where the motorcycle accelerated down the open lane ahead, clearly going over the limit.

Before long I stopped for my break and a late lunch. Having just come off home-time, I was happy to have the leftover chicken I had made at home the night before. Washed down with some strong coffee, I reveled in avoiding the usual truck stop fare, at least for one day.

As I was doing a quick inspection, I caught up with the owner-operators next to me as they did their load check. Having never hauled flatbed, I was curious to learn what I could about it. They were both friendly, but clearly in a rush, so I chose to quietly watch as they checked their strap tension, absorbing the occasional tip they threw at me.

At last I was in Bakersfield, its huge sign welcoming me as I arrived. I have a friend who went owner-operator recently, renting a garage in Bakersfield with 4 other owner-ops. Indeed its a dream of mine to own my truck, maybe even purchasing one of Crown's VNL's or T680's.

The receiver, Plaster & Sons, was just beyond the Bakersfield sign. From here they were going to load the cement into mix trucks for a local construction project. Crown Construction was the contractor hired for the concrete pour.

Inside their lot, they requested I bring the trailer into the building for the inspection. Being a hot, summer day like it is, I could only agree. While still warm, the building did offer respite from the blazing sun while a worker and I did a walk-around. With no faults to note and all documents signed, I disconnected and parked in a shaded part of their parking lot to wait for my next dispatch. I retired to the sleeper to stretch out, enjoying a little break in my (thankfully air-conditioned) rolling home.

BK Vissers

#84 Post by BK Vissers » 12 Aug 2017 23:27

Oh, great! Perfect shots as always, and a fun read! Great stuff, Andrei!

Hounddog

#85 Post by Hounddog » 13 Aug 2017 13:19

Great story !!
we've got rid of the kids.....our dogs were allergic

Gr Rob

My WOT   |   My ETS Screens-topic   |   My ATS Screens-topic   |   Hounddog Paintshop ETS   |   Hounddog Paintshop Las Vegas ATS

Dukeone

#86 Post by Dukeone » 13 Aug 2017 14:31

Amazing, this is my favorite tread here in ATS section. See ya on the streets crown guys! Looking forward to the next episode!

Scaniadriver1

#87 Post by Scaniadriver1 » 13 Aug 2017 14:59

yeah
great shots and story ,mate
good luck to get the money for your own one
RHT on the Road ---------> viewtopic.php?f=47&t=169446&start=540
RHT UNITED--------->viewtopic.php?f=193&t=242117

Hakan

Crown Logistics VTC

#88 Post by Hakan » 23 Aug 2017 09:54

Very nice Storyline here People!